• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KYMS 106.3 The Progressive Years

thebeach33445

Leading Participant
Hey Guys:

Would anybody know when in 1969 KYMS went from Top 40 to Progressive Rock?

I am thinking in September after KTBT 94.3 (Underground 94 FM) went Religious on August 11, 1969.

Thanks

Tommy C.

No - apparently just still looking for an obscure answer for reasons not stated. No one replied to the prior query.

Let's face it, not even Mike Hagerty or I follow every nuance of LA radio - and 1969 was nearly fifty years ago!

With further research and help from nice people that help me through e-mail I found out that KYMS changed from Top 40 to Progressive Rock on September 1, 1969. They got there music library from the demise of KTBT 94.3 which took place back on August 11, 1969.

... says the person with 2,500 posts.

HAHAHAHAHA stop it you're killing me, rob!!! I am a mere amateur when compared with Big A's 26,000+ posts or the CHAMP David Eduardo's (Gleason) 37,000+ posts. They actually have more because this site went down many years ago and when it was resurrected the post counts started back at 0. Most of my 2,500+ posts were from earlier years as in recent years, say the last 7 or 8 years, there's not much to talk about in LA Radio IMHO. (BTW no offence but you might be one of maybe 3 people in the world who care about the 1969 KYMS)

(BTW no offence but you might be one of maybe 3 people in the world who care about the 1969 KYMS)

No offense taken. KYMS was the first FM station I ever listened to. My friends and I felt like we were pretty cool having discovered this "underground" radio station when we were in 6th grade. We'd go over to my buddy Jay's house after school, fire up his parent's Marantz with the ethereal, blue glow and listen to the most awesome music! We'd also play albums from our nascent record collections, but it was that FM station, with the mellow jocks and the incredible, head-spinning music that captured my imagination. So, this thread, while being of no interest to you, brought back a flood of pleasant memories of my introduction to album rock and budding love affair with radio.

Reminds me of one of the first things I learned in "radio school"; "Don't disparage the music. Every song that you play, is somebody's favorite."

With further research and help from nice people that help me through e-mail I found out that KYMS changed from Top 40 to Progressive Rock on September 1, 1969. They got there music library from the demise of KTBT 94.3 which took place back on August 11, 1969.

Thanks for this information. I did not know much of anything about that station, so this is fun to know!

Thanks for this information. I did not know much of anything about that station, so this is fun to know!

I've suggested in the past to the original poster here that it would be fantastic if he could take all the dates he's collected over the years for format changes and post them somewhere where they'll be more permanently accessible than message board archives.

Maybe they could find a home on American Radio History?

No offense taken. KYMS was the first FM station I ever listened to. My friends and I felt like we were pretty cool having discovered this "underground" radio station when we were in 6th grade. We'd go over to my buddy Jay's house after school, fire up his parent's Marantz with the ethereal, blue glow and listen to the most awesome music! We'd also play albums from our nascent record collections, but it was that FM station, with the mellow jocks and the incredible, head-spinning music that captured my imagination. So, this thread, while being of no interest to you, brought back a flood of pleasant memories of my introduction to album rock and budding love affair with radio.

Reminds me of one of the first things I learned in "radio school"; "Don't disparage the music. Every song that you play, is somebody's favorite."

Very cool, and your handle definitely does not fit your attitude so I salute you as we both share a love of radio AND enjoying outliers when it comes to radio stations like the old KYMS. All the stations I have found interesting are long gone: KUTE 101.9 The Quiet Oasis; later on KMPC-FM/KEDG; KROQ 1987-1990 version; MARS-FM; 100.3 FM (between Pirate Radio and "Easy" or whatever they were called); KSCA FM 101.9; KLSX weekends 1997-98; Channel 103.1 FM; Indie 103.1; 100.3 The Sound 2008-2009; in San Diego 92.5 The Flash; KKOS 95.9 and later they moved to 95.7; Sets 102.1 FM; 94.9; to name some); To bring it back to KYMS- I used to work for a company which bought air time from KYMS in the 80s and resold to area businesses sponsoring public awareness messages. KYMS I believe was Christian rock .....

KYMS, Los Angeles - Santa Ana
Ted Alvy
Steve Atkins
Bobby Blue
Tom Brower
Mark Christian
Dusty Dale
Bob Gowa
Larry Grannis
Billy Pearl
Bill Rice
Johnny Sunday

Last edited:

Even "We Built This City"!

Reminds me of what one of the KOST personalities said once: "Everyone, at some point in their lives, will like and use the love songs along the KOST". I actually hope that sentiment is true!

I've suggested in the past to the original poster here that it would be fantastic if he could take all the dates he's collected over the years for format changes and post them somewhere where they'll be more permanently accessible than message board archives.

Maybe they could find a home on American Radio History?

Thank you for that. Unfortunately I did my original research back in 2014. My dad passed away in 2015 and my uncle passed away in 2016. Then my mom got sick in 2017 and passed away in May of 2018. With all of that going on I had to put of my research on hold. Everything was not complete and I just recently started it again with may blanks I needed to fill.

>>>KROQ 1987-1990 version;<<<

Hey SuperRadioFan, just wondering, what made these particular KROQ years stand out for you?

KYMS, Los Angeles - Santa Ana
Ted Alvy
Steve Atkins
Bobby Blue
Tom Brower
Mark Christian
Dusty Dale
Bob Gowa
Larry Grannis
Billy Pearl
Bill Rice
Johnny Sunday

I never heard KYMS, but noticed Bob Gowa's name. Even for a radio DJ, Gowa was everywhere. In fact, I didn't even know he worked in LA. He was all over the SF Bay Area airwaves for decades, from major market stations like KSAN (KMET's sister station in the album rock 70s, KMEL, to K-101, to the celebrated KYCY ("The City" in the 80s, KOFY-FM, and little KTIM-FM in Marin County. I heard Gowa as recently as a couple of years ago, doing traffic reports on multiple stations.

>>>KROQ 1987-1990 version;<<<

Hey SuperRadioFan, just wondering, what made these particular KROQ years stand out for you?

I just remember the music they were playing had a nice combination of rock, rhythmic, and dancy type songs that my ears liked. (I think that's why I also liked MARS-FM when they were on.) Groups like the Ocean Blue, New Order, Fine Young Cannibals, XTC, The The, Camper van Beethoven, Smithereens, Flesh for Lulu, PIL, Replacements, Hoodo Gurus, Concrete Blonde, Big Audio Dynamite, Smiths, Erasure, B-52s, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Oingo Boingo, Pet shop Boys, Bangles, Love and Rockets, Squeeze....... even Ton Loc (!!!); in the 90s KROQ seemed to be a little more mainstream and grunge (not that there's anything wrong with grunge) Red Hot CP, Nirvana, STP, Cranberries, Pear Jam, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins,

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom