KYMS 106.3 The Progressive Years
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: KYMS 106.3 The Progressive Years

  1. #1

    KYMS 106.3 The Progressive Years

    Hey Guys:

    Would anybody know when in 1969 KYMS went from Top 40 to Progressive Rock?

    I am thinking in September after KTBT 94.3 (Underground 94 FM) went Religious on August 11, 1969.

    Thanks

    Tommy C.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeach33445 View Post
    Hey Guys:

    Would anybody know when in 1969 KYMS went from Top 40 to Progressive Rock?

    I am thinking in September after KTBT 94.3 (Underground 94 FM) went Religious on August 11, 1969.

    Thanks

    Tommy C.
    You already asked this same question on 5/22/18

    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/sho...highlight=kyms

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Hits View Post
    You already asked this same question on 5/22/18

    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/sho...highlight=kyms
    He/she must be bored and looking for a Life!

  4. #4
    No - apparently just still looking for an obscure answer for reasons not stated. No one replied to the prior query.

    Let's face it, not even Mike Hagerty or I follow every nuance of LA radio - and 1969 was nearly fifty years ago!

  5. #5
    With further research and help from nice people that help me through e-mail I found out that KYMS changed from Top 40 to Progressive Rock on September 1, 1969. They got there music library from the demise of KTBT 94.3 which took place back on August 11, 1969.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRadioFan View Post
    He/she must be bored and looking for a Life!
    ... says the person with 2,500 posts.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by robnokshus06 View Post
    ... says the person with 2,500 posts.
    HAHAHAHAHA stop it you're killing me, rob!!! I am a mere amateur when compared with Big A's 26,000+ posts or the CHAMP David Eduardo's (Gleason) 37,000+ posts. They actually have more because this site went down many years ago and when it was resurrected the post counts started back at 0. Most of my 2,500+ posts were from earlier years as in recent years, say the last 7 or 8 years, there's not much to talk about in LA Radio IMHO. (BTW no offence but you might be one of maybe 3 people in the world who care about the 1969 KYMS)

  8. #8
    (BTW no offence but you might be one of maybe 3 people in the world who care about the 1969 KYMS)
    No offense taken. KYMS was the first FM station I ever listened to. My friends and I felt like we were pretty cool having discovered this "underground" radio station when we were in 6th grade. We'd go over to my buddy Jay's house after school, fire up his parent's Marantz with the ethereal, blue glow and listen to the most awesome music! We'd also play albums from our nascent record collections, but it was that FM station, with the mellow jocks and the incredible, head-spinning music that captured my imagination. So, this thread, while being of no interest to you, brought back a flood of pleasant memories of my introduction to album rock and budding love affair with radio.

    Reminds me of one of the first things I learned in "radio school"; "Don't disparage the music. Every song that you play, is somebody's favorite."

  9. #9
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,255
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeach33445 View Post
    With further research and help from nice people that help me through e-mail I found out that KYMS changed from Top 40 to Progressive Rock on September 1, 1969. They got there music library from the demise of KTBT 94.3 which took place back on August 11, 1969.
    Thanks for this information. I did not know much of anything about that station, so this is fun to know!
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    Thanks for this information. I did not know much of anything about that station, so this is fun to know!
    I've suggested in the past to the original poster here that it would be fantastic if he could take all the dates he's collected over the years for format changes and post them somewhere where they'll be more permanently accessible than message board archives.

    Maybe they could find a home on American Radio History?
    All kinds of good stuff over at http://www.fybush.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us