Radio format question

Thread: Radio format question

Radio format question

What’s the difference between adult hits and classic hits. And is WBEB basically a q102 type station with some older songs

This has been discussed before. One is more rock, the other is more pop.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CassChopper96 View Post
    What’s the difference between adult hits and classic hits. And is WBEB basically a q102 type station with some older songs
    Adult hits is the "Jack" format... deeper library, but spanning 3 to 4 decades. Different in each major market, but leans rock but not hard, hard rock. Generally have no live jocks, no voicetracking.

Classic hits is Top 40 hits, generally of the mid to late 70's, 80's and just touching the early 90's. Can lean very pop, or be fairly commercial rock driven... but songs that Top 40 stations played, not the AOR station exclusives.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I have described classic hits as having a core of album rock radio songs that became top 40 hits. From there you can lean more pop or more toward the classic rock side to create your seasoned flavor of classic hits. That seems to describe how classic hits stations I've heard seemed to be. Those I've listened to are mid 1970 through late 1980s but a few from the 1970 to 1975 era gets played...not many, just a handful. Am I way off on what 'pure' classic hits is?