• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can a production guy make $100k+ in Seattle

Rock 100.7

Frequent Participant
Asking for a friend. What kind of money could a production guy realistically make in Seattle or Portland? He's trying to relocate to be closer to family.

Asking for a friend. What kind of money could a production guy realistically make in Seattle or Portland? He's trying to relocate to be closer to family.

Need more info. Does this person also do voice work? Production/Voice talent can make good money in Seattle and Portland. Production alone? Probably a little more difficult, unless they have a specialty that is in demand (recording studio, etc). I know of a number of production/voice talents that make big money, but in many of those cases, they are usually voice talent with production workers around them. Those "workers around them" are usually not paid highly. Also, today many high priced voice/production talents work from home.

Need more info. Does this person also do voice work? Production/Voice talent can make good money in Seattle and Portland. Production alone? Probably a little more difficult, unless they have a specialty that is in demand (recording studio, etc). I know of a number of production/voice talents that make big money, but in many of those cases, they are usually voice talent with production workers around them. Those "workers around them" are usually not paid highly. Also, today many high priced voice/production talents work from home.

It would also be good to know if you mean doing freelance production work or getting a job as a production director in a radio station.

Does your friend have his SAG/AFTRA card? A lot of national spots (and a couple gigs in Seattle) will require that...

I'll just throw this out there to rile everybody up (yes, I work in radio, but in non-comm and only on weekends...so that makes my opinion completely invalid):

Assuming some experience and folks were hiring, Production Directors will bring in

Seattle (big cluster): $60-80k
Seattle (small cluster-indies): $30-50k

Portland (big cluster): $50-70k
Portland (small cluster): $25-40k

In that income bracket, Portland is the better move. Housing is way cheaper, some would argue the quality of life is greater in Portland due to lower taxes, great public transportation. We deport people saying stuff like that 'round these parts from where they came from: Wallingford!

If prestige is the better option, Seattle is your best bet. Plus maybe a little better opportunity for national VO work. A lot of folks are quite happy staying in market 13. But your extra $$ will be eaten up in rent and taxes

He would probably want to work at a radio station. Production, Voice Work, etc. He can do anything on the programming side that needs done. Freelance isn't an option. He could get a SAG / AFTRA card but doesn't have one. Thanks for the details, I will pass them on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom