• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Picked Up New Jersey 101.5 from Narragansett!

Attesting the power of tropo and B101’s weak signal, I picked up New Jersey 101.5 loud and clear this morning from Narragansett. Anyone else have any good catches?

Narragansett is the perfect spot in Rhode Island to pick up any New York FM's. I remember many years ago picking up 92.3 K-Rock. It was only one specific spot near the beach. It wasn't even Tropo. It's as if I hit a Pro-FM Dead Zone between a couple stop lights. There was no traffic at the time. It was late night. Literally no other cars to be seen. I was driving slow and I heard Pro-Fm fade out and another station come in. Then I heard the K-Rock ID. I said to myself "NO WAY". I couldn't believe that would happen. Then I pulled up another 20 feet and Pro-FM came back in. Then I backed up 20 feet and K-Rock came back in. I did this a few times. Back and forth...back and forth. That's how I figured out that this wasn't Tropo. I actually found the one tiny spot in Rhode Island that it's possible to get New York FM's. It was so weird, but so cool at the same time. I'm sure it's possible Weather conditions could of had something to do with it. However I think it's possible that it's always like this in that one specific spot.

Same type thing happens at Hammonasset Beach State Park in Madison Connecticut. I used to frequently take a ride out there and park in the lot near the water. Each and every time I went I was able to pick up both 94 HJY and WYSP in Philly. I would change the station I received just by turning my car at a different angle. It was pretty cool. It's been many years since I did that, but I bet it still works. I was totally shocked to pick up a Philly station so close to Rhode Island. (I always did this in the morning.) Around 9 or 10 AM. However that open ocean really does a great job at allowing signals to travel.

It was definitely tropo that day. Many non-regulars came in clearly - 103.5 WKTU, Cat Country 107.3/Atlantic City, and 100.7 WZXL/Wildwood, NJ all came in.

I’ll have to check out that beach in CT. Watch Hill also is a place in which FM reception can widely vary.

This has to do with over the air TV but your post made me remember something that happened when I was in high school.

We live right on Salt Pond in Wakefield, just north of Snug Harbor, and never had access to cable TV here until the early '90s. Before that, we had an antenna on the top of the roof to get in Providence locals, Boston stations (when the air was right), and, well..."other signals" that sometimes would come and go depending on the atmosphere. The antenna would routinely blow off during the winter time but my dad would go back up and hook it up when we lived there in the summer (now my wife and I live here year-round).

One day right at Noon, smack dab in the middle of July on a weekday (right before I left to go to my summer job), I was trying to get one of the local Boston stations in and it was being overlapped by another channel. Since it was noon, it was local news, and I was absolutely dumbfounded by the top story coming from this "other channel" being about orange groves. Then a minute or two later they came in with the quick weather alert, and the only local radar they showed was the state of Florida. Then they went to a break and it was entirely comprised of Florida sponsors!

The audio wasn't coming in, the picture was pulsating, but it was certainly clear enough for it to be seen for roughly 10-15 minutes before going away, never to be seen again. I'll certainly never forget it (and I kind of miss those days when weird things would happen atmospherically and things would travel off the ocean).

Last edited:
I spend summers in Narragansett, and tropo events usually happen at least once or twice a summer. I am not a TV DXer, but here’s the best tropo openings we have had in recent summers:
2018 - southern NJ, NYC
2017 - Nova Scotia, Jersey Shore
2016 - Hampton Roads, VA

One day right at Noon, smack dab in the middle of July on a weekday (right before I left to go to my summer job), I was trying to get one of the local Boston stations in and it was being overlapped by another channel. Since it was noon, it was local news, and I was absolutely dumbfounded by the top story coming from this "other channel" being about orange groves. Then a minute or two later they came in with the quick weather alert, and the only local radar they showed was the state of Florida. Then they went to a break and it was entirely comprised of Florida sponsors!
Oh yeah! Good old fashion summertime Sporadic E‐Skip!!!
Let me guess: WESH-2 (one of my more memorable “pests”! :) )? WFOR-4? WJXT-4? WPTV-5?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom