• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

what philly jock wrote transistor siater

Gunsmoke

Banned
Sorry meant sister not siater...Listening to Sirius/XM 50's on 5 today, (only because its a free two week special) Freddie (BOOM BOOM) Canon was picking his favorites. When he played his big hit Transistor Sister he said it was written by a popular Philly Dj, he would not say who. Do any of you old goats like me remember who penned it. I would have to say Joe or Hy, this was way back, so many popular Philly jocks were not on the air yet. I would doubt it was Nat Wright, the Geator, Georgie Woods, Jimmy Bishop or Chuck Doreghty. 50kw is mentioned in the lyrics and WIBBAGE was the only 50kw daytimer that fits the bill. I don't think 1060 or 1210 were playing top 40 then.

Thanks man, cannot believe Chuck Dougherty wrote that, he was so laid back and a super MOR jock, kinda reminded me of Bill Wrighr Sr.

Chuckie from Kentucky would probably have laughed at the characterization-- though it was true later in his career. But long before Philly, he was a top 40 jock-- doing mornings for Todd Storz at WQAM before he went to Pittsburgh (Kent Burkhart was PD). It was in Miami that he hooked up with Frank Slay (cowriter of Transistor Sister). It was also there that he recorded his first songs-- Henry Stone (Tone Distributors) got him a deal with Moishe Levy on Roulette. A couple decades later, Charlie Murdock (whom Chuck worked with at WQAM) hired him as PD of WLW, so it really was full circle. He died earlier this year in Florida.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom