Update: California Senate Approves Net Neutrality Rules - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update: California Senate Approves Net Neutrality Rules

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    Great idea, but as long as the other party is in control, it will go nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Hmmm...there was no net neutrality mentioned in the TCA, which was why the Republicans were so against Tom Wheeler's FCC instituting it in the first place. They said at the time that the FCC has no jurisdiction in this area. Now all of a sudden they've reversed themselves and said the government has authority to regulate the internet. I guess it's a matter of which government they're talking about.
    The internet, at least as a mass medium, was still in its infancy in 1996.

When I first got cable television my local city council had final authority on the rates.
    That was stripped away with the TCA (I am sure because the industry paid good money to Congress
    to obtain that).

So, knowing that the internet was going to be a thing, why wouldn't they get that covered as well? Washington, D.C. as a one-stop shop for influence pedding is SO much more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyE1977 View Post

So, knowing that the internet was going to be a thing, why wouldn't they get that covered as well? Washington, D.C. as a one-stop shop for influence pedding is SO much more convenient.
    I don't know why, but the Republican party opposes net neutrality. They opposed it when the FCC brought it up a few years ago, and they repealed it once they got in power. I'll search for quotes from Ajit Pai, but they said very clearly that they feel it's not under the FCC's jurisdiction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12