• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD Radio antennas

Jimmy128

Leading Participant
Does anyone know how well HD TV antennas work for HD radio?

I'm using a pair of rabbit ears, and the HD stations come in weak.

From Salem MA at sea level.

Edit: I'm referring to HD 2 & 3 stations.

Since the radio stations are in an entirely different frequency range, I wouldn't expect an antenna designed for TV frequencies to work well at all. You'd get the same crappy results with a random length of wire. Also, realize that the "HD" in HD Radio stands for nothing. "Hybrid digital" was, apparently, an urban legend, since iBiquity never used that term. It has nothing to do with "high definition," which is what HDTV's "HD" stands for.

Since the radio stations are in an entirely different frequency range, I wouldn't expect an antenna designed for TV frequencies to work well at all. You'd get the same crappy results with a random length of wire. Also, realize that the "HD" in HD Radio stands for nothing. "Hybrid digital" was, apparently, an urban legend, since iBiquity never used that term. It has nothing to do with "high definition," which is what HDTV's "HD" stands for.

I'm talking about frequencies 88 -108 FM. What FM frequencies are channels 2 through 13 located on?

I know what they used to be on, but what are they on now? Or else, where would I find a good HD radio antenna?

I'm talking about frequencies 88 -108 FM. What FM frequencies are channels 2 through 13 located on?

I know what they used to be on, but what are they on now? Or else, where would I find a good HD radio antenna?

The TV bands, however they name the slices thereof, are VHF Low (54 to 88 MHz) VHF High (174 to 216 MHz) and UHF (above 470 MHz).

Any TV antenna will be improperly tuned for FM.

An antenna is sensitive to wavelength, not whether the modulation is digital or analog. So those "digital" antennas are just TV antennas tuned to the bands currently in use. They would pick up analog just as well if there were analog stations to receive.

Your best bet is to look for an FM antenna on eBay. It does not have to say "HD" to work. It just has to be designed for the 88 to 108 MHz band.

Look up folded dipole on Google. Made out of twin lead. And you can do it yourself for next to nothing. Does not work as well as can outdoor yet I but for most metro applications it is more than adequate.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom