Alex Silverman Named PD At KYW/Philadelphia

Thread: Alex Silverman Named PD At KYW/Philadelphia

Alex Silverman Named PD At KYW/Philadelphia

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...w-philadelphia

Alex Silverman will be PD at KYW-AM effective September 24th. Prior to Silverman moving to KYW-AM he was at Entercoms WCBS-AM News as formerly Assistant Dir./News and Programming.

I hope Alex will make changes to improve KYW and not hurt it. There are a lot of problems with KYW's format right now.
    Julius May, Philadelphia PA.

I'm sure he'll take that under advisement.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jul View Post
    I hope Alex will make changes to improve KYW and not hurt it. There are a lot of problems with KYW's format right now.
    A smart PD, a smart GM and smart corporate managers will give adequate time to analyze the station and the market before making any changes on the second (and nearly a tie for first) highest billing station*.

* KYW is also among the top 50 highest billing stations out of over 12,000 commercial operations in the US.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Julius: what changes does he need to make. What are the specific problems you have with KYW 1060? What 24 hour news talk radio stations are you listening to regularly that are btter than KYW? I would like you to expound on your comments. In all the years I have seen you on this board, you never explain why you don't like something.
    this ain't no disco....

Quote Originally Posted by AdamfromPhilly View Post
    Julius: what changes does he need to make. What are the specific problems you have with KYW 1060? What 24 hour news talk radio stations are you listening to regularly that are btter than KYW? I would like you to expound on your comments. In all the years I have seen you on this board, you never explain why you don't like something.
    The problems with KYW are that their traffic reports run too long, they have certain talent that doesn't belong on the airwaves that they need to get rid of, the broadcast schedule doesn't get run on time on a consistent basis depending on who's anchoring. I would like to see the traffic reports be shortened and that broadcast schedule gets aired on time on all newscasts by all anchors on the station on a consistent basis (to be honest, they need to get a new broadcast schedule and format wheel. the current one is flawed). Do a better job of getting breaking news on the air ASAP and airing all important statements and press conferences instead of skipping them. Bring in new on-air radio news talent, and perhaps make other major changes to the station. Alex should do what he recently did with WCBS-AM and totally do a makeover of the radio station.
    Julius May, Philadelphia PA.

WCBS is a different case with WINS also in the market. They can afford to do different things unique to New York.

Traffic reports could be shortened at rush hour to say "all the majors are an unholy mess," but that's not terribly helpful. We have a lot of traffic problems in the region. Sometimes, there are major issues--picking a recent example, the closure of the PA turnpike where it intersects with the Blue Route a few days back. Covering that and its ripple effects, and the other issues, takes time, sometimes more time than others. I mean, sure, you could go the route of some music stations that "report" traffic in about 15 seconds by basically mentioning 76 and 95. But for the news station in town, that's not what listeners expect. Whatever your issue with "long" reports, I'm guessing you could find a number of people who, not necessarily able to fumble with their phone while driving, are appreciative of more detailed information as a general rule.

I also doubt there's all that many anal retentive people worrying about whatever slight variations there are in when certain content airs. The sports airing at :16, or business news at :56 instead of :55 is really....irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

And not every news conference bears airing live (which, by the way, exacerbates the very problem you decry). You have one on-air stream--use it judiciously, the same as the TV stations do. You can drop in and out, or you can use the web. Not everyone is going to hear everything--so it goes in life.

Looking at all factors in totality, no, KYW doesn't need a total makeover. Perhaps some nips and tucks here and there by way of freshening up, just as they've done for a long time now. But a wholesale renovation isn't justified.

The problems with KYW are that their traffic reports run too long.
    Dude, what are you smoking? I take it that you’re not driving in one of the many spots that are being mentioned often on the traffic reports. They probably could go longer during rush hour. I drive often between Chester County and Camden County. I always like to get KYW’s second opinion on traffic so I can figure out which way will will be less backed up. Prime example was Friday afternoon before Labor Day. KYW was able to tell me which of the bridges into N.J. was the least backed up (Commodore Barry). They also said 76 E was backed up KoP across WWB into NJ. The WAZE app doesn’t seem to always catch traffic backups it seems.

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    No doubt it's my age, but my biggest gripe about this fine, consistently billing station is: 'Slow down'.

I tune in mostly for the sports and the weather. They come into our burgh well, day and night.
    https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pa...KYW&service=AM

We're 8 miles north of that 'Pottsville' circle.

A secondary gripe is the seemingly incessant 'these stories yet to come' teases. To me (and perhaps others) they do nothing but waste time. And too often the so-called features go limp -- too quick, too dismissed. Yeah, I'm merely a peon cume here, but to me the 200 MPH patter accompanying such promotional racket could be slowed down by the programming people thinking about eliminating the verborrhea. I'm just a cume. Tell me what's going on NOW, not in five or ten minutes and five or ten more commercials.

Back to my pipe and slippers, hi