KROQ HD-2
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: KROQ HD-2

  1. #1
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LBC, California
    Posts
    444

    KROQ HD-2

    LARadio.com has this tidbit - KROQ-HD2 is relaunching Roq of the 80s with Freddy Snakeskin and Tami Heide

    On Facebook Freddy Snakeskin posted this yesterday (8/28/18): Breaking News: Will wonders never cease? Yes it's official, after a 3 year vacation (at their request), I'm thrilled to be invited back to relaunch Entercom's KROQ-HD2 The Roq of the 80s beginning this weekend, doing some kinda daily morning show, woo hoo! Tell everybody, join yours truly Freddy Snakeskin at 6 AM, followed by my longtime unindicted co-conspirator Tami Heide daily at 12 noon. Listen everyday for all the great Klassick KROQ music you grew up with, via Radio.com and/or free HD radio @ 106.7-HD2 (sorry locals only.) And whatever you don't do, don't miss our inaugural Flashback 500 countdown, starting at 8 AM on Tuesday September 4! Thanks for your unwavering support all these years, apparently someone was listening!! :-)

    Note - KROQ-HD2 squeaked into the latest monthly ratings for the LA DMA, which is an impressive achievement for an HD2 station. Hopefully, this additional commitment by Entercom to the station will only further elevate its quality of programming and audience reach.
    Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -- Ian Maclaren

  2. #2
    I would pay to hear a commercial free version of the stream. I spent hours listening to KROQ HD2 on the Internet and the spot breaks were broken, going into CBS Interactive loops playing commercials and or KROQ current station promos over and over within the same break. This was one step up from hearing those content fillers 3 times an hour but overall I couldn't take it anymore. Besides Snakeskin is approaching 70 now and isn't as hip as he once was, we will see...

  3. #3
    i can record on hd2

  4. #4
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Hits View Post
    I would pay to hear a commercial free version of the stream. I spent hours listening to KROQ HD2 on the Internet and the spot breaks were broken, going into CBS Interactive loops playing commercials and or KROQ current station promos over and over within the same break. This was one step up from hearing those content fillers 3 times an hour but overall I couldn't take it anymore. Besides Snakeskin is approaching 70 now and isn't as hip as he once was, we will see...
    Freddy Snakeskin is certainly "hip" enough to be part of the Roq of the 80's channel because he is as rock of the 80's as even the biggest artists, at least for the LA audience. And many of his listeners will be his contemporaries.

    We have just seen Shotgun Tom hired for a Sirius/XM gig. Again, he's "not too old" for the music and the audience he is targeting. In fact, I can think of few better fits today as Shotgun sounds great in the context of that era.

    We should be encouraging stations and services that endeavor to appeal to 55 and over. The only way to change advertiser's attitudes is to show them that it works! More power to them, I say!
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    old city philadelphia
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    Freddy Snakeskin is certainly "hip" enough to be part of the Roq of the 80's channel because he is as rock of the 80's as even the biggest artists, at least for the LA audience. And many of his listeners will be his contemporaries.

    We have just seen Shotgun Tom hired for a Sirius/XM gig. Again, he's "not too old" for the music and the audience he is targeting. In fact, I can think of few better fits today as Shotgun sounds great in the context of that era.

    We should be encouraging stations and services that endeavor to appeal to 55 and over. The only way to change advertiser's attitudes is to show them that it works! More power to them, I say!

    I'm glad your finally embracing HD radio.

  6. #6
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    I'm glad your finally embracing HD radio.
    I never was against HD on FM.

    I quickly learned that HD on AM is useless and harmful.

    I've tried to be realistic about the prospects. HD has about zero market share in non-car radios. It has, still, a very tiny share of car radios. There is very little awareness on the part of the consumer, so HD subchannels have mostly become a way to operate a translator or a revenue source by renting to an ethnic or special interest group.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  7. #7
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LBC, California
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

    There is very little awareness on the part of the consumer
    Which is why I was pleased this weekend to hear spots on KRTH this weekend promoting the relaunch of KROQ HD2 "Roq of the 80s" and specifically the Firecracker 500 commencing tomorrow (9/4). Awareness needs to be cultivated and using your arsenal of tools (your group of stations) is one way to lift awareness!

  8. #8
    The KROQ ROQ of the 80s Flashback 500 Countdown is underway (started at 8 AM PT on Tue. 9/4/18).

    Info including a full list (spoiler alert) is included at:

    https://roqofthe80s.radio.com/blogs/...-500-countdown

    Direct link to full list (PDF file) - (spoiler alert): http://kroqhd2.entercom.acsitefactor...ASHBACK500.pdf

    Listen in web browser (via Radio.com) at: http://player.radio.com/listen/station/kroq2

    Listen in media player of your choice (copy + paste the text between the arrows only):

    >>http://playerservices.streamtheworld.com/api/livestream-redirect/KROQHD2AACHI.aac<< (128 kbps, AAC)

    >>http://playerservices.streamtheworld.com/api/livestream-redirect/KROQHD2AAC.aac<< (64 kbps, AAC)

    >>http://playerservices.streamtheworld.com/api/livestream-redirect/KROQHD2.mp3<< (96 kbps, MP3)

  9. #9
    Haven't heard Freddy or Tami yet; maybe they officially begin after the countdown is over? (Or have I not tuned in at the right times?) Weird hearing ads now on KROQ-HD2, as it's been commercial-free for years. Also, the new logo is strangely reminiscent of the Indie 103.1 logo. But happy to see more attention given to Roq of the 80s, and I assume this means they won't pre-empt it again for a month like they did for "Green Day Radio."

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctah View Post
    Haven't heard Freddy or Tami yet; maybe they officially begin after the countdown is over? (Or have I not tuned in at the right times?) Weird hearing ads now on KROQ-HD2, as it's been commercial-free for years. Also, the new logo is strangely reminiscent of the Indie 103.1 logo. But happy to see more attention given to Roq of the 80s, and I assume this means they won't pre-empt it again for a month like they did for "Green Day Radio."
    Wow it was never Commercial free on the Internet making it un listenable during its last days. Hope they do it right and use more Shotgun Tom voicers!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us