• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

10-90 WILD MIA--?

For like two weeks now, WILD has been off-air.
Could they have thrown in the towel and gone dark (I didn't see anything on the FCC page)?

Could be the old transmitter problem deal...things like "you're putting out spurious signals so you'd better fix or replace it". I know stations like (now) WMEX 1510--when they were doing sports and prog talk and such--had trouble with
flooding and the transmitter site.

March 2010 post on this site by the late Laurence Glavin:
>>As most of you know, ther WWZN-AM 1510 transmitter and array are located in Waltham, where there is considerable flooding due to global warming. As a result, WWZN is off-the-air today at least, meaning no Stephanie Miller on the radio, just her web site.

And Dan Strassberg replied:
>>This is not the first time that flooding has taken the station off the air.

Not saying that's what the problem with WILD is, but it could be something like that.

I believe WILD is now sharing the WKOX site, and WKOX is not having any problem.

They only have 10 days to file a STA for either low power or being dark.

How they pay the tower rent and electric bill is beyond me.

It is one of the few stations I can say is better off the air than on... let it go dark, it has no value.

Could be the old transmitter problem deal...things like "you're putting out spurious signals so you'd better fix or replace it". I know stations like (now) WMEX 1510--when they were doing sports and prog talk and such--had trouble with flooding and the transmitter site.

March 2010 post on this site by the late Laurence Glavin:
>>As most of you know, ther WWZN-AM 1510 transmitter and array are located in Waltham, where there is considerable flooding due to global warming. As a result, WWZN is off-the-air today at least, meaning no Stephanie Miller on the radio, just her web site.

And Dan Strassberg replied:
>>This is not the first time that flooding has taken the station off the air.

Not saying that's what the problem with WILD is, but it could be something like that.
IIRC, there wasn't any significant rain at the time (a couple of weeks ago, or so). However, a couple of days after they were first noted off, there WAS some heavy rain, and then 5-90 WEZE was noted off for less than a day(?), but then came back on.

I'm tuning into this right now, and I no longer hear any Chinese programming.

But not for long after... what was local sunset in Boston tonight?

Right now ( 8:15) you should be hearing WBAL loud and clear

What do you mean? It’s 8:26 AM right now, and I'm still hearing Chinese.

Boston has a good-sized Chinese community, so in theory, WILD should have an audience. But does the fact that all the programming is originated and approved by the Beijing regime greatly reduce the potential listenership? In other words, are the Chinese-speaking Chinese-Americans now here overwhelming hostile to Beijing, as Florida's Cubans are to Havana?

In other words, are the Chinese-speaking Chinese-Americans now here overwhelming hostile to Beijing, as Florida's Cubans are to Havana?

The Chinese people I have spoken with in the Boston area, I don't hear any proclaimed love or hate for the government in Beijing. From what I hear with my own ears, they just figure that's the way things are. Although they love China....but I don't think they equate the government with their lives, family, friends, history, culture and life in China.

It's "just the way it is".

I should ask about what they think of Radio Beijing / China Radio International overall....and if they even know of 1090AM.

8:27 is long after they should be off the air
Yup, I heard them coming home late Sunday morning (are they at [least slightly] reduced power?), then heard them on after midnite...and they are on again tonite.
Definitely in “extraauthorized” hours! P=)

Yup, I heard them coming home late Sunday morning (are they at [least slightly] reduced power?), then heard them on after midnite...and they are on again tonite.
Definitely in “extraauthorized” hours! P=)

So is it no longer all 24 hour Chinese programming anymore?

Unless they have and are using a low-power post-sunset authorization (PSSA), in August WILD should be signing off the air at 7:45 PM (EDT).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom