• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Federal Budget for FY2019 proposes shut-down of WWV, WWVH

Wow...if this is true, it will be a very sad curtain for shortwave. In fact, I haven't clicked the SW button on my Grundig G5 in a long time, probably 1 or 2 years. Last I heard 31 meters around early evening, I was lucky to get four or five stations, mostly CRI and WWV, and religious.
Yet WWCR will be around until 2050 at this point! And Cuba! And China Radio International!

All kinds of things get proposed in budgets, few of them make it in to an actual budget. As far as shortwave is concerned, someone is running oldies with a couple of classic top 40 jocks (Jim Edwards and even Grant Hudson of CKLW fame) evenings on 5085.

Presidential budgets are typically ignored. Congress makes spending decisions. Most of the cuts in the 2018 WH budget were restored once it went to Congress.

All kinds of things get proposed in budgets, few of them make it in to an actual budget. As far as shortwave is concerned, someone is running oldies with a couple of classic top 40 jocks (Jim Edwards and even Grant Hudson of CKLW fame) evenings on 5085.

That's WTWW Lebanon TN. Its schedule is somewhat erratic, but is usually there most weekdays at around 0200-0300 UTC. Mixing ham radio and oldies and/or classic country is something I've never heard elsewhere.

Presidential budgets are typically ignored. Congress makes spending decisions. Most of the cuts in the 2018 WH budget were restored once it went to Congress.

Quite true. As you and I discussed regarding PBS funding, I have given up on the notion that the Republicans
are ever going to actually cut government spending.

WWV and PBS will leave the air when the checks stop clearing and all other government programs shut down.

WWV seems like a strange cut though when the Federal Budget is a literal smorgasbord of our money
being poured down various ratholes.

WWV may be running out of time, to coin a phrase.

https://swling.com/blog/2018/08/nist-fy2019-budget-includes-request-to-shutdown-wwv-and-wwvh/

I find this a bit surprising as the US Naval Academy has quietly gone back to training cadets
how to navigate the old fashioned way with chronometer and sextant (it dawned on them that
in wartime the first thing an enemy would do is cripple the GPS system).

Isn't that where all of those super-accurate clocks get their signals from? I wonder if the powers that be realize they'll be non-functional.

Well, no... I guess I don't wonder.

Dave B.

That's why it's an odd cut.

Which is why Congress will restore it, as they did other items in previous budgets.

It's politics. It's a way for the WH to say they're cutting the size of government, and Congress is the real enemy.

Last year the WH sought to cut $80 million from the Broadcasting Board of Governors, who oversee the Voice of America, Radio Free Europe, and other similar operations.

WWV actually provides something useful. Perhaps this is a OMB attempt to get a cut where it is needed, out of CPB and retaining WWV in return.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom