• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ex-employees detail shocking ‘anything goes’ culture at CBS Radio

https://nypost.com/2018/08/21/inside-the-alleged-frat-house-culture-plaguing-cbs-radio/

Note this is Entercom dealing with a carryover when CBS Radio ran the cluster

When CBS Radio hired Craig Lenti in 2006, he knew the company well — after all, his dad, Joe McCoy, was a program director there for 25 years.

But when Craig started working as a producer for longtime personality Dan Taylor, who he’d known since childhood, the company turned from the “playground” of his youth to an “Animal House”-style nightmare, he told The Post.

Over the next year, Lenti was forced to endure Taylor calling a fellow on-air personality a “f–king Jew bastard,” referring to a marketing manager as a “dyke” and describing a potential co-worker as “faggy,” he claims in contemporaneous notes made in a daily diary he kept — which was submitted to CBS Radio’s human resources in 2007 as part of a hostile workplace complaint.

Taylor, who hosts a daily 10 a.m.-to-3 p.m. show on WCBS-FM 101.1, would also avoid discussing Oprah Winfrey and other black celebrities on air, Lenti alleged in the diary, a copy of which was reviewed by The Post.

“That was the sick genius of it all. He never really let on about who he really is until you were in the studio with him. Once that [studio] door closed, all bets were off,” the 40-year-old producer said in a recent interview.

Lenti hoped his well-kept record of Taylor’s mephitic mutterings would result in HR ordering the DJ to stop — but it didn’t.

Lenti hoped his well-kept record of Taylor’s mephitic mutterings would result in HR ordering the DJ to stop — but it didn’t.

“When I went to HR, [the company’s] excuse was he didn’t know that I was bi, gay, whatever you want to call it, and he didn’t specifically target me,” Lenti said of the late-summer 2007 meeting between HR, Taylor and himself — a meeting prompted by his complaint.

“[Taylor] pointed his finger at me and told me that if I had a problem with how he was behaving, I should have told him directly,” he said.

Taylor wasn’t disciplined beyond the meeting with HR. Rather, Lenti was transferred off Taylor’s popular show soon after.

Lenti was laid off five days before Christmas 2013. After “holding on to the pain” of working with Taylor for nearly a decade, last November, as Entercom bought CBS Radio, including WFAN and WCBS-FM, Lenti posted a message on Facebook urging the station’s new owner to take action against its alleged bad apple.

SEE ALSO
Joe Benigno’s threesome come-ons in middle of WFAN’s frat-house lawsuit
Joe Benigno's threesome come-ons in middle of WFAN's frat-house lawsuit
Lenti mentioned Taylor in his post. His troubles at the radio giant were aired publicly just months before Lauren Lockwood, a former top saleswoman at the media company, claimed in a shocking July lawsuit that CBS Radio and Entercom condoned a “frat-house”-like work environment. The Post last month reported exclusively on the suit that claimed WFAN radio host Joe Benigno tried to pressure her into having group sex with his wife and a prostitute.

Benigno retaliated against her when she rebuffed his overtures, according to the suit.

Benigno’s lawyer has denied the allegations in the suit.

Lockwood worked at WFAN from 2006 through July 2017. Entercom closed its deal to buy CBS Radio on Nov. 11, 2017.

Following the suit, Entercom suspended Benigno and launched an internal investigation.

Since the initial report, six former employees across different CBS Radio units have come forward to The Post to back up Lockwood’s claims that the company had an “anything-goes” culture that ignored complaints about powerful men creating a hostile work environment.

I've idolized DT for years, but the alleged comments and actions are indefensible, and I have no reason to doubt that Lenti is telling the truth, especially since several other former CBS Radio employees have backed the allegations up. Time to get rid of Dan, and replace him with a long-overdue full-time female personality.

If any of this is true it is very troubling in the least. I can't diss the guys back in the day who would ask out co-workers. If you weren't finding quality people in a bar or at church it was difficult. However, in 2018 there is no reason to date people you work with. So many ways now to meet people that it just makes no sense.
I think this is where lots of this starts. Guys(and some gals) treating their workplace as if its some dating pool. When you get rejected you hold a grudge. Worse, you date, break up, then have to work together, negatively affecting not only your own performance but that of all your co-workers who are put in situations of picking sides.
As for the racist, sexist comments....What is there to say? Disgusting trash talk, lowest denominator of humanity type stuff that lends credibility to all of the negative comments and perceptions about those who work in this industry.
I really like Dan Taylor, I think his work on CBS-FM is top game so I truly hope none of this about him is true. While we must take every accusation seriously, we also must remember that guilt must be proven before we strip one of their innocence.

....with a long-overdue full-time female personality.

Ummm...Why a female? Are we ruling hiring based on sex? Are all men out of the running?

What is there to say? Disgusting trash talk, lowest denominator of humanity type stuff that lends credibility to all of the negative comments and perceptions about those who work in this industry..

Interesting that he knew never to say these things on the air...because he knew it was offensive.

But apparently didn't know enough to not say them aloud in mixed company at a workplace.

So...the conclusion is, 1.) he didn't care who he was offending. 2.) Didn't know any better. 3.) Thought a little too highly about himself that he could get away with offending those around him.

If any of this is true it is very troubling in the least. I can't diss the guys back in the day who would ask out co-workers. If you weren't finding quality people in a bar or at church it was difficult. However, in 2018 there is no reason to date people you work with. So many ways now to meet people that it just makes no sense.

That's oversimplified and goes against nature. We often develop both friendship and relationships with people we are in close contact with. That includes workplace contacts. It's often difficult to keep work rules in mind when there is some form of mutual attraction.

I have great admiration for those who work in HR who have to deal with situations that arise between employees. The issue is not just with the two people involved, but also with co-workers who may feel at a disadvantage due to the relationship. HR must deal with how to prevent those inevitable situations from disrupting morale and productivity as well as preventing favoritism from effecting wages and advancement.

Ummm...Why a female? Are we ruling hiring based on sex? Are all men out of the running?

There are currently no female DJ's on the station, which has been the case for most of its history (outside of the Jack years), and the only ones they ever had were part-timers. Not sure how things are now, but I've heard that in the past (pre-Jack), women would not even be considered for shifts there. The station has been a boys' club long enough - this is the perfect opportunity to change that, especially since Entercom are trying to assert their commitment to diversity and fairness. Nothing against folks like Randy Davis or Charlie Burger who would certainly do a good job in the slot, but just one female voice (outside of morning news/traffic) would make a huge difference.

And yes, I've seen posts from multiple former CBS employees backing up the assertions that Dan Taylor had a really nasty side to him, and can confirm that Lenti went to HR about Dan and was subsequently transferred to what was then Fresh 102.7's morning show.

There are currently no female DJ's on the station, which has been the case for most of its history (outside of the Jack years), and the only ones they ever had were part-timers.

OK...But if we are only "hiring a woman" for a job opening....that's not quite legal, is it?

What I Think..... :)

Depends...this particular station has aimed for heritage voices in the market. The females of that era are in other formats. Who would you suggest?

That's true.....and just for the record, there WAS a female air personality, Sue O'Neil, both BEFORE and AFTER the "Jacking" of 2005....not long after the station came back, Sue was hired to do weekends and fill-ins.....

Now as for what others in this thread are saying, this really has nothing to do with the lack or not thereof of a female air personality.

Maybe...assuming that women don't participate in a lot of the same behavior. I'm not convinced they don't.

judgment call - i've never seen women involved in these kinds of situations.

I've never heard of Dan Taylor.

And?

He's just about the highest rated jock in his daypart in the country's biggest market...

(In last 10 books, either #1 or #2 in persons 12+, with about 1.5 million weekly listeners.)

Last edited:
There's not even a Wikipedia page on him. I don't listen to talk radio much anymore.

He's on WCBS-FM and plays classic hits. It's not a talk show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom