• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What's up with Y100's ratings these days?

I've visited Miami a few times in last 10-12 years.... Not as much since 2009. I've always looked up to WHYI because of it's super longevity. It's certainly a true heritage station, much like Z100 in NY. Miami in my opinion is like a clone of NYC. "New York with palm trees", I always hear people say. So I'm curious as to why........ Y100, (as well as CHR in general) perform so poorly there. I would think Y100 would at least be a top 5 station in Miami. Is it poor programming or is there just not enough young people there? I get that many retire in S. Florida but, I still think a party town like Miami would still have at least one successful CHR station. I would hate to see such a strong, well known station like Y100 end up flipping someday. Anyway, just curious. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I've visited Miami a few times in last 10-12 years.... Not as much since 2009. I've always looked up to WHYI because of it's super longevity. It's certainly a true heritage station, much like Z100 in NY. Miami in my opinion is like a clone of NYC. "New York with palm trees", I always hear people say. So I'm curious as to why........ Y100, (as well as CHR in general) perform so poorly there. I would think Y100 would at least be a top 5 station in Miami. Is it poor programming or is there just not enough young people there? I get that many retire in S. Florida but, I still think a party town like Miami would still have at least one successful CHR station. I would hate to see such a strong, well known station like Y100 end up flipping someday. Anyway, just curious. Any thoughts?

You are forgetting that Miami currently has one of the contry's most exciting CHR battles between WRTO, WZTU and WXDJ. That is where the party is!

Miami is not where a lot of retirees go anymore. It's now about 55% Hispanic, and the Latin influence (Going all the way back to K.C. & The Sunshine Band and Miami Sound Machine) has made CRH very rhythmic.

Also remember Y-100 now competes with another Chr hits 97.3 that have virtually the same place list and power 96 that leans on slightly more rhythmic but in recent years has almost the same playlist as y-100 except if they are doing their mix programs

and was an incredible oldies station before that..... :(

But it was getting very old in its appeal, and losing revenue year by year. And much of the music did not match the life experience of South Florida's 51% Hispanic population. They are much more on target for their market now.

They did what every other oldies station did, went classic hits. The difference is this classic hits station is very tuned into the unique market that is Miami

I have not looked at the Y-100 playlist. I assume most of the station is syndicated, and follows programming from the corporate level. 97.3 (All of the Cox stations) probably is more in tune with the CHR/Rhythmic market. Beach 102.7 had to make the changes. Power 96 will need to keep up with the pace or lose market share (if it hasn't done so).

I have not looked at the Y-100 playlist. I assume most of the station is syndicated, and follows programming from the corporate level. 97.3 (All of the Cox stations) probably is more in tune with the CHR/Rhythmic market. Beach 102.7 had to make the changes. Power 96 will need to keep up with the pace or lose market share (if it hasn't done so).

Y-100 does use some iHeart shows, but those products are not traditional full-length syndication products. They are generally delivered in work parts, which are assembled with the station's own music lists, local news (if any), traffic, weather, spots, etc. The final on-air product is run off the station's digital storage system, not off a "network".

Last edited:

Y-100 does use some iHeart shows, but those products are not traditional full-length syndication products. They are generally delivered in work parts, which are assembled with the station's own music lists, local news (if any), traffic, weather, spots, etc. The final on-air product is run off the station's digital storage system, not off a "network".

I'm familiar with the work part set up. I meant a actual local body in the studio. As I said, how much control is allowed locally to schedule that final on air product on that digital storage system.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom