USTN is exiting radio, now what?
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: USTN is exiting radio, now what?

  1. #1

    Question USTN is exiting radio, now what?

    What happens to the stations that were using them for traffic reports? They just don't have traffic anymore?

    Does anyone know if USTN was in any major markets?

    ...and if I'm a station with USTN traffic reports and I'm losing them, what other options do I have?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Since I posted this, I see that Cumulus signed on with TTWN for traffic services for their 441 stations. They'll also use TTWN's news service for some stations. But, isn't TTWN (Total Traffic & Weather Network) an iHeart product? Isn't that sleeping with the enemy? Doesn't sound very smart.

    My questions above still remain for non-Cumulus stations.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    But, isn't TTWN (Total Traffic & Weather Network) an iHeart product? Isn't that sleeping with the enemy? Doesn't sound very smart.
    Keep in mind Cumulus is also in the syndication business. So they can trade traffic for some other content. Also, Cumulus has been using iHeart's platform for streaming. It's cheaper to use someone else's than start your own. Local traffic is expensive to staff, cheaper to trade.

    Entercom also dropped USTN, and they're starting their own. The main thing to know about traffic coverage in urban areas is the primary source is the state DOT, who provide cameras at all critical intersections. There are ways to do this cheaply if you use existing resources.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Philly-ish
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    What happens to the stations that were using them for traffic reports? They just don't have traffic anymore?

    Does anyone know if USTN was in any major markets?

    ...and if I'm a station with USTN traffic reports and I'm losing them, what other options do I have?

    Thanks!
    They probably had other smaller radio operators (Maybe Alpha, or Emmis?). My guess is, everyone is scrambling. TTWN stands in the best position right now. Is Entercom in a position yet to take on any stations dropped by USTN?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    Is Entercom in a position yet to take on any stations dropped by USTN?
    I'm not aware that Entercom is looking to offer that service outside of their own stations.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    7,507

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us