• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Superstation KAHM FM 102.1 Signal

That's why EMF has been on a buying spree the past couple of years. Same goes for Entercom, Beasley, Saga, etc..and what about that Farm Workers Union that recently purchased an AM & translator in Phoenix, along with an FM, AM and translators in Press-kit? Yup, radio is on the way out. Not.

I don’t think CCF wanted KYCA. They just had to buy it to get 102.1. They will unload it as soon as possible because the talk format they run is in direct conflict with the mission of CCF.

As with mostly everything these days, statistics are "skewed" to show or demonstrate
whatever is desired. The "study" you mention is little more than an exercise to justify
to advertisers that their dollars are well spent. Let's face reality. Radio is on it's way out
and no amount of studies or statistics is going to change that..............

The studies done on radio listening come from a variety of sources.

The most widely respected, though, is the Nielsen data. That's because the underlying numbers come from surveys that are audited by the Media Research Council (MRC) which is a nearly 60' year-old group formed by large advertisers and their ad agencies to insure that the statistics they use to buy advertising are produced using accepted and regularly audited research and sampling techniques.

Since the data is audited by that group, and is produced principally to give metrics to the ad industry, there is no reason to doubt it.

Consider that the formation of the MRC itself was the direct result of hearings "on The Hill" about media ratings in general. The ad industry wanted the ability to audit media measurements, and they even participate in the design and modifications of methodology of electronic media surveys.

Those of us in the industry do our own research... not to quantify audiences, but to study audience tastes and needs... and we find it just as easy to find radio users that are 20 years old as ones that are 50.

By the way, your apparent negativity about radio is not even radio's fault. You don't get the kind of programming you like because you are outside the age range that advertisers generally look for. So stations don't program for your taste as most advertisers don't want to to "talk" to you and your contemporaries

When was the last time YOU listened to the "SUPERSTATION.?"

Oh, about a month ago. I can't take it for more than a coupla' songs though. It sounds like it is targeted at the generation before mine. It's also not very well done for what it is.

I don’t think CCF wanted KYCA. They just had to buy it to get 102.1. They will unload it as soon as possible because the talk format they run is in direct conflict with the mission of CCF.

Agreed. But there's value in 14~Ninety, and that's their companion translator at 103~Five. Is that the future Superstation? Could be, but the highest and best use of any FM signal is not running elevator music.

Agreed. But there's value in 14~Ninety, and that's their companion translator at 103~Five. Is that the future Superstation? Could be, but the highest and best use of any FM signal is not running elevator music.

At 5,300 feet above sea level, Press-kit does not need an elevator, it needs a submarine!

We all live in a...

I never understand how those in radio fail to understand that radio, like many, many
other things, is nearly dead among those under 50 years old. I go to a gym with many
young people. I NEVER see any of them listening to any radio. NEVER and I've asked
plenty of them "what are you listening too? I doubt anyone under 50 has a radio on
in their home or car for any length of time. Why is it so hard to understand that older
people still enjoy having a radio playing the music they love, for hours on end?????
Why then is it so difficult to understand that KAHM tailors their music to those that
actually listen???? The music they play today is quite a bit more up to date than a year
ago..... They play The Beatles, Carly Simon, James Taylor etc, etc along with some
instrumentals...... When was the last time YOU listened to the "SUPERSTATION.?"

Somebody forgot to tell my market. The majority of my listeners are under 50? I guess they didn't get the memo from the hipsters at the Gym. Maybe it's because of a lack of carly Simon and James Taylor in our rotation.

As with mostly everything these days, statistics are "skewed" to show or demonstrate
whatever is desired. The "study" you mention is little more than an exercise to justify
to advertisers that their dollars are well spent. Let's face reality. Radio is on it's way out
and no amount of studies or statistics is going to change that..............

Just had a client do a 12 week run to see if radio was on "it's way out" Business increased on the the side of our simulcast she wanted to reach. She just signed till TFN. Our client retention is excellent because they get results. No national or Nielsen© study needed for that.

I still think it's going to be a lease of a hypothetical 102.1 HD2 that feeds the 101.7 translator in Prescott. I guess it's about who would be angrier, current KYCA listeners or those of KAHM?

Maybe it's time for the Best Buys in Arrowhead and Surprise to have an extra stock of HD radios, especially if the elders will need to continue to listen to "beautiful music," or if the MeTV HD2 experiment in Milwaukee works and someone fires up an HD2 with that here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom