• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HOP on WRFF

Gunsmoke

Banned
I was surprised to hear Jump Around today, regular format, nothing special, on Radio 1045. Never heard it before, is this the new Rhythmic/Hip Hop Alternative thats flooding Alternative stations nowadays. I thought WRFF was more of a safe, laid back, pop brand of the format. I could understand if they played Everlast - What it's Like, which was an Alternative staple, which they don't spin. Could RATM, Cypress Hill and Public Enemy be added to the playlist soon, while ignoring the Flys, Screaming Trees and Better than Ezra, which were in the same era.

Any excuse to manufacture a "rhythmic" issue, it seems.

They'll test the music, and play what the research tells them is best to play. That's not ignoring anything other than tunes that don't test well enough to make the grade.

I’ve heard Jump Around on Alternative stations all over the country for years. Cypress Hill, too. It’s not some “rhythmic” invasion, even though if some rhythmic tunes test well with the current sound of alternative, why not play them?

The one thing I've noticed about millennial music taste is it isn't restricted by formats. Someone who's mainly an alternative fan is likely to also like other genres. That will mean as millennials age (they're not in their 30s), you'll hear more radio stations mix in music from other formats.

Last night they played Elle King, Shame, I almost fell off my chair, from HOP to Elle King....where are the Sex Pistols and the Ramones that were played at one time...the youngsters still embrace these icons...

Last night they played Elle King, Shame, I almost fell off my chair, from HOP to Elle King....where are the Sex Pistols and the Ramones that were played at one time...the youngsters still embrace these icons...

Yes. How dare they play a new single from an artist that spent multiple weeks at #1 on the Alternative charts not too long ago?

FYI they never touched Ex's & Oh's.....

104.5 never touched Ex's and Oh's? Yes they did. Heavily. Plus they gave spins to the follow up singles "Under the Influence" and "America's Sweetheart"

AND she played at their 9th Birthday party. And did a meet and greet with listeners.

It shows that you don't pay as much attention to the station you like to frequently complain about as you let on you do.

Last edited:
"Rock's death rattle" LMFAO. Okay sure, the bile that was hair metal isn't topping charts anymore, nor is nu metal. However, rock is far from dead. There's always a new batch of 9 & 10 year olds who find their dad's zeppelin or doors album, picks up a guitar and keeps rock alive.

Not only that, but do you ever tune in to any philly college stations like WKDU or WDBK? Punk and metal are always spinning on there.

Furthermore, yes, the alternative rock on WRFF is more pop than anything, but do not be fooled. It's not a good gauge on what we're REALLY listening to. You want to find out? Check the spotifys of WRFF's listeners. You'll find a ton of green day, blink 182, weezer etc...

Rock is not dying; it's doing what it always has done best, evolve. Much to the dismay of crusty old blues/ rock sports bar guys listening to some non-descript 12 bar blues rock song, rock has moved a million miles away from those days, and I'm personally extremely glad it has.

It's evolved into a million different sub-genres and subcultures. Shoegaze and dream pop from the late 1980s, like Slowdive and My Bloody Valentines, both sub-genres of "rock". Nu metal and rap rock from the 1990s like Beastie Boys and Faith No More, both sub-genres of "rock". Emo and pop punk of the 2000s like Paramore and My Chemical Romance, guess what? Sub-genres of rock. Now, are all the bands I mentioned here going to be played on a run of the mill rock station? No, absolutely not. Yet, they're all in one way or another related to each other. They all stemmed from the post-rock and post-punk of the early 80s.

I hate it when people say rock is dying. What you really mean is AC/DC and ZZ Top type rock is dying, when in fact even THOSE bands aren't! Go take a look through youtube and you'll still find a bumper crop of bands playing that same sorta thing.

Bottom line, Madison Avenue dictates what is the sound of today. For some reason (maybe the rock audience does not spend as much as the urban audience), that’s why they keep pushing hip hop, rap and urban style tunes, while ignoring and kicking any form of rock product to the curb. If they flooded every music channel and music chart with Chinese folk music like they have been doing non stop with urban sounds that would be what the young audience would embrace...it’s called being forced fed...

Bottom line, Madison Avenue dictates what is the sound of today.

IF you want someone else to pay. If YOU want to pay, you get whatever you want. That's your decision. You aren't forced to listen to anything. In fact, you don't have to listen to anything at all.

But the fact is there's enough diversity on the free radio dial so you have lots of choices, choices that aren't rhythmic at all. You want non-rhythmic music? Listen to WRTI or WXPN.

Music may be fun for you, but it's a business for the artists, the writers, their labels, and their managers. They're all getting paid. It's their job.

Bottom line, Madison Avenue dictates what is the sound of today. For some reason (maybe the rock audience does not spend as much as the urban audience), that’s why they keep pushing hip hop, rap and urban style tunes, while ignoring and kicking any form of rock product to the curb. If they flooded every music channel and music chart with Chinese folk music like they have been doing non stop with urban sounds that would be what the young audience would embrace...it’s called being forced fed...

The ad industry has surprisingly little to do with music tastes.

Entrepreneurs and business people are always looking for new options. New formats for lower rated radio stations, new streams or blends for streams. And new content of all kinds is available form on-demand services.

We've already discussed the fact that WRFF in Philadelphia is rather low on the advertiser's list of vehicles for reaching men, which starts with WIP and continues via the two more established rock stations. It's not that WRFF does not reach an audience or that advertisers don't want that audience... it's that WRFF just does not get on as many buys because it's beaten by better options for advertisers.

If you go to some other markets, you can find different kinds of rock stations at billing leadership positions. KINK in Portland is defined as an AAA station, and it does quite well. KYSR and KROQ in LA are both alternative rockers, and they are high, high billers.

The ad industry does not "flood charts". In fact, charts today are based to a large degree on sales (predominantly downloads) and on-demand streaming as well as airplay, so it is the consumer of music that has changed the ranking of different genres of music.

With all the options for music discovery and music listening, it is absurd to say that we are being force-fed with anything. Among younger Millennials and pre-Millennials, it's often the peer group influence which is the strongest force in the formation of taste. Music charts are simple the arbitrators of the success of individual songs and collective trends.

Ad agencies merely follow the tastes of the lifestyle groups that they want to reach. A good example is the Luis Fonsi and daddy Yankee song "Despacito" which, at over 5 billion views, is the biggest YouTube video ever; advertisers look for whether this is a trend and then how they can ride on that particular wave. And once a wave crashes on the beach, they paddle out looking for another one to ride.

104.5 never touched Ex's and Oh's? Yes they did. Heavily. Plus they gave spins to the follow up singles "Under the Influence" and "America's Sweetheart"

AND she played at their 9th Birthday party. And did a meet and greet with listeners.

It shows that you don't pay as much attention to the station you like to frequently complain about as you let on you do.

I listen a few hours per day and honestly never heard them spin that, I did hear it on the B though...

I listen a few hours per day and honestly never heard them spin that, I did hear it on the B though...

Ex's and Oh's is 3 years old.

The B hasn't existed for 5 years.

(But I get what point you're trying to make).

I wish I still had full access to Mediabase to see what spin totals Ex's and Oh's has on WRFF. I'm genuinely curious.

Ex's and Oh's is 3 years old.

The B hasn't existed for 5 years.

(But I get what point you're trying to make).

I wish I still had full access to Mediabase to see what spin totals Ex's and Oh's has on WRFF. I'm genuinely curious.

Elle King's Ex's and Oh's placed at #2 on Radio 104.5's Top 50.5 Songs of 2015:

http://pulsemusic.proboards.com/post/5530981

The song peaked at #1 on the national alternative / Hot Rock songs chart and at #1 on the national Adult Top 40 songs chart in late summer/fall 2015.

Are we really so desperate for conversation that we keep entertaining these topics, treating them as if they're not--each and every single one--a thinly-veiled attempt to drive home the same horrible point? I can't wait for Christmastime (or is that "The War on Christmas"?) so we can at least turn to discussing another topic. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom