• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Klvl changes format again...

Now running regional Mexican..
Would you say that KLVL has one of the best signals over the city of Houston?

It has an OK signal in Houston itself during the daytime. The night signal is pretty much useless.

But remember that the market is not the city of Houston, but a complex of 11 counties, and KLVL's low power on a very high frequency does a poor job of covering the market.

Now running regional Mexican..
Would you say that KLVL has one of the best signals over the city of Houston?

The daytime signal on 1480 is much better with 5kw than it was some years back with only 1kw. But it is far from being one of the better overall signals in the market. And David is right, the 500 watt night signal is pretty useless--it starts to die around downtown Houston and is completely gone by the West Loop. During critical hours KBXD in DFW can give KLVL a lot of grief.

I notice that the "La1480.com" website is gone--I get a "Domain Available" page (in Spanish.)

Speaking of things being gone, the KLVL translator on 94.9 has been off the air for over a month.

Already? Wow! What happened to all the fuss of El Tio Pancho on the Radio and all the rest of new morning shows?

That programming did not get ratings 20 years ago... let alone today.

Now rebranding as LA NUMERO 1,

Listening to a morning show some guy sounding kinda like El Genio Lucas, but also sounds like Tio Pancho.

Unless I missed heard but I’m pretty sure they say. El Show de Toño, translated to TONYS SHOW.

Last edited:
Now rebranding as LA NUMERO 1,

Listening to a morning show some guy sounding kinda like El Genio Lucas, but also sounds like Tio Pancho.

Unless I missed heard but I’m pretty sure they say. El Show de Toño, translated to TONYS SHOW.

Where do the folks who put this kind of thing on the air think that the listeners for a very poor metro area daytime signal with a nearly non-existent night one are going to come from? Bad coverage, noisy lo-fi AM signal, no listeners, no advertisers.

Where do the folks who put this kind of thing on the air think that the listeners for a very poor metro area daytime signal with a nearly non-existent night one are going to come from? Bad coverage, noisy lo-fi AM signal, no listeners, no advertisers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Hispanics the least likely to listen to AM today? It seems like Mexico is shutting down all but their largest AM signals but I'm not sure if the same trend is occurring in South America.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Hispanics the least likely to listen to AM today? It seems like Mexico is shutting down all but their largest AM signals but I'm not sure if the same trend is occurring in South America.

AMs are dropping off throughout Latin America, with the exception of Argentina where AMs have good facilities and have specialized in sports and news and talk and do marvelously well.

In El Salvador, at the other extreme, the commercial broadcasters are all but gone, and AM is mostly a place for evangelical Christian operations.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Hispanics the least likely to listen to AM today?

That's KLVL's biggest problem today. Its signal is best in a heavily Hispanic part of the market, but those same listeners have migrated to FM where there are a lot of choices for them--and this is also an area where the eastern Spanish language rimshots (98.5, 107.9) are much more competitive, signal wise, to go along with the other locals.

KLVL has a long and rich history in Houston's Hispanic community, but those days are long gone. The station is essentially a basket case now.

They need to start that 94.9 FM translator again. But terrible thing is that Radio Fortaleza is on the same dial, so when the translator was on we couldn’t listen to either one.

The translator is back on air, 94.9 FM
A translator that covers only part of the market is not going to help this station. It probably hurts them more than helps them.

All these translators are a waste of time/money until they hop to downtown (which is a long shot with all these LPFM also crowding the dial)

Ok here is the official report of what I heard. While I was in The Heights I was able to pick up LA NUMERO UNO 94.9 FM. Drove south on Durham, jumped on I10 east towards I 45. Was still picking up LA NUMERO on their 94.9 TRANSLATOR. Drove North on 45 till I reached loop 610 I started picking up RADIO FORTALEZA From Templo de Dios. Once I reached LITTLE YORK on 45 NORTH I started to pick LA NUMERO UNO again. And well the translator reaches my neighborhood perfectly.

On my drive to work from 1960 and 45 North towards The Heights again I’m listening to KLVL on their FM TRANSLATOR. But this time with no interruptions from RADIO FORTALEZA 94.9. The translator sounds like a FULL FM station covering the same area as LA MEJOR 92.5.

What’s going on?

Mr Eduardo do you have any info on these shows? Where did they come from? Who’s running the station?

In the morning they have EL SHOW DE TOÑO or TONY.

Then at noon they have LA CHIKY BABY

THEN in the evening LA DIVA DE MEXICO.

On my drive to work from 1960 and 45 North towards The Heights again I’m listening to KLVL on their FM TRANSLATOR. But this time with no interruptions from RADIO FORTALEZA 94.9. The translator sounds like a FULL FM station covering the same area as LA MEJOR 92.5.

You’re not kidding about the translator sounding like a full power station. On my commute home K240CS was blasting in along I-10 inside The Loop. No sign of KRUT, which, if still on the air, was being completely obliterated in an area where it used to have a good signal.

What’s going on?

Mr Eduardo do you have any info on these shows? Where did they come from? Who’s running the station?

In the morning they have EL SHOW DE TOÑO or TONY.

Then at noon they have LA CHIKY BABY

THEN in the evening LA DIVA DE MEXICO.

I have no idea who runs the station. The translator-based stations have long proven to not be disruptive to the major stations,a nd they get little audience and even less revenue.

El Show de Chiquibaby (Stephanie Himonidis) is a syndicated show coming from MLC Media services, which also provides La Diva and El Show de Toño among others. http://www.mlcsmedia.com/content/index.php/en/

And KLVL has flipped yet again. On my Monday evening commute they were running Spanish language religious Radio Vision, “A signal without limits” or so goes the claim. All praise and worship music, with occasional liners. Same programming on 94.9, which seems to be almost (but not quite) back to its original signal coverage. No sign of KRUT, however. I could hear presumed KPFG with a weak and choppy signal near downtown.

Guess “Numero Uno” was a big zero.

I have lost count of all the formats KLVL has had in the past few years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom