• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Smooth Jazz 101.1 has a new PD and afternoon host: Rene Miller

Rene is a terrific air talent and person. But making that station a success will not be easy. It will not have a large enough audience to show up in the ratings, and its advertiser base will have to be local retailers, whose continued business will depend on whether their cash registers ring. It will be a difficult sell.

Playlist is also an issue. 104.1 sounded great but I heard the same old, tired smooth jazz songs more than once within a couple hours of driving around town. There's no excuse for that these days and plenty of streaming options if the PD does think it's fine.

I suppose she'll get rid of the Phil Collins, Michael McDonald and the like. Must be a part time job. I wouldn't think a translator would have enough cash flow to employ a full time person for this position.

I suppose she'll get rid of the Phil Collins, Michael McDonald and the like. Must be a part time job. I wouldn't think a translator would have enough cash flow to employ a full time person for this position.

I doubt she'll change the music. I believe they're subscribing to Allen Kepler's Smooth Jazz Network.

This morning I went to Suwanee to meet with the GM of Davis Broadcasting's La Raza and La Nueva Mega. I didn't realize that Smooth Jazz 101.1's studio is in the same building. Somehow I thought 1310/101.1 had a studio facility in Atlanta.

Well, a pair of translators in Chicago just went for over $3 million, so there can be money in a translator... fairly big money as we are seeing in some markets.

They'll probably switch to hip hop/ urban just like the other 15 hip hop/ urban stations in the market.

They'll probably switch to hip hop/ urban just like the other 15 hip hop/ urban stations in the market.
Sadly that's probably going to be true. Rene has an amazing voice and is a talented woman, but this station's weak signal and limited playlist are destined for a flip. You're right, it will become another hip-hop or country washout gateway. Meanwhile, WCLK has a pretty decent playlist. Or SiriusXM's Watercolors.

the ORIGINAL "Jazz Flavors" hosted and programmed by Russ Davis back on WQXI-FM in the 70s and 80s was truly amazing and what got me into modern Jazz/Fusion when I was in elementary school. Glad I have a large music library (all digitized now) on CD, LP and cassettes. Much of this material is out of print and rarely heard on any radio or streaming. I doubt it ever will be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom