• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

George Michael...years on WABC.

Wimmmex

Star Participant
Howdy all!

AN old WABC jock's name came up in discussion over the weekend.

What year(s) was George Michael on WABC?

Was he the one to replace cousin Brucie? (Who hired him and brought him to WABC?)

What PD fired him...for what reason....and who was the jock that replaced him in that night shift?

Anyone know?

George Michael was on WABC from 1974-1979. Yes, George replaced Cousin Brucie after about a 6 week period. Bruce's show was temporarily filled by Chuck Leonard who did the 10 PM shift. Rick Sklar hired George but a guy named Glenn Morgan who I believe was the Assistant PD then exuded a great deal of influence in getting George from WFIL in Philly.

Truth be known, George Michael was not happy at WABC for all sorts of reasons. Mainly it was around the very tight playlist and that he didn't have say in music selections etc. George was replaced actually by 2 jocks. Bob Cruz got the 4-8 PM shift and Howard Hoffman got 8- midnight. That didn't last long. I know Glenn Morgan became PD maybe around 77 or 76 and he left in 1979. There were musical chairs in PD and changing the stations directions.

Besides George Michael, longtime AM jock Harry Harrison was let go and the aforementioned Chuck Leonard. Serious mistakes but it is what it is. FM had taken over. It may have been Glenn Morgan who fired George and the others but I'm thinking there was someone else. I can't remember that part of the detail.

George Michael gave WABC a great energy in the 70s...it just wasn't enough.

Of course after radio, George Michael had a long career in TV as sports anchor at NBC O&O WRC in Washington. The daily anchoring led to a weekend specialty show called the George Michael Sports Machine. The gimmick was George standing next to a huge 2" quad video machine, and pressing the Play button to show video clips. Not sure how he got around union rules, where only engineers could touch the video machines. But this show was later picked up as a weekly syndicated show. He always had a youthful and energetic presentation that connected with a lot of people. He really exploded during the years when the Redskins were doing well. With his connection to NBC, George traveled to several Olympics over his career. Lots of people probably know him more as a sports anchor than as a Top 40 DJ.

Of course after radio, George Michael had a long career in TV as sports anchor at NBC O&O WRC in Washington. The daily anchoring led to a weekend specialty show called the George Michael Sports Machine. Lots of people probably know him more as a sports anchor than as a Top 40 DJ.

Interesting you brought up George's sports broadcasting career fame because it does have a connection to bringing George Michael onboard to replace Bruce Morrow. George initially turned down the offer to join WABC Radio. PD Rick Sklar and others involved came to know that George was interested in moving on to sports broadcasting. There just so happen to be an opening for a weekend sports anchor on WABC-TV Channel 7 and that as they say clinched the deal. You might say George's move to 77 WABC proved a lot more lucrative than anyone could imagine. He gained sports broadcasting experience while jockeying and the rest as they say is history...

What PD fired him...for what reason....and who was the jock that replaced him in that night shift?

Anyone know?

The answer came to me after I posted earlier. The PD's name was Al Brady.
This is his story. Al came under tremendous criticism for firing Harry Harrison, George Michael and Chuck Leonard. But he explains his reasons here. It's an interesting read of those Titanic times for AM hit music radio.

https://www.musicradio77.com/albrady.html

There just so happen to be an opening for a weekend sports anchor on WABC-TV Channel 7 and that as they say clinched the deal.

The full circle to that is George Michael's protégé at WRC was Scott Clark, who left in 1986 to become the main sports anchor at WABC-TV. About 7 years ago, he retired from WABC after 24 years.

He opened both his radio and television shows with, "Good eeevening everybody, I'm George Michael."

George Michael had a long career in TV as sports anchor at NBC O&O WRC in Washington.

For a while he competed against Warner Wolf, who had gone back to Washington. (During Mr. Wolf's first D.C. stint, channel 9's calls were WTOP-TV; when he returned, the calls had been changed to WUSA.)

George Michael had huge ratings in the late 70s on wabc radio

I'm assuming those "huge ratings" didn't last.

My memory was that music stations on AM had their worst time competing with the emerging FM listening was in the evening shifts (Especially AM Top 40).

Also, IMHO, George Michael was a good jock, but kinda generic......

My $.02

George Michael had huge ratings in the late 70s on wabc radio

In the 1976 to Summer 1978 period, WABC did very well, flipping #1 with WABC.

But after the impressive 11.3 for KTU in Fall, 1978, it was mostly WKTU and WBLS for a couple of years, and then WBLS, WOR and even WINS shared the top spot.

After Fall of '83, it was mostly Z-100.

George Michael was a good jock, but kinda generic......

Though cognizant of the fact that Rick Sklar and Glenn Morgan were disinclined to poach talent from other ABC O&Os, I think John Landecker would have been a better choice to replace Cousin Brucie.

We've all played radio Monday morning quarterback at times. For what it's worth, I was convinced Bruce Morrow's replacement would have come internally from WABC. I figured Chuck Leonard would move from the 10PM hour to the coveted "teen slot." In 1974, Chuck was a fixture on WABC since 1965 and was a popular jock. That wasn't meant to be. At the time, I didn't realize just how high the stakes were.

For reasons I can't even explain, the music transition from AM to FM still intrigues me. In 1974, I was convinced big powerhouse Top 40 stations such as WABC would co-exist with FM. AM would be home to mass-appeal programing where it was normal to hear a bubblegum tune, followed by rock, an oldie, an instrumental or even a novelty song. It was a formula that had worked for a long time. FM would be the home to specialized programing such as modern rock, classic rock, oldies, easy listening, and top 40 that didn't have the kind of variety on AM. But, the times...they were a changing.

As far as George Michael goes, his hiring turned out to be a good business decision for the times. In case you haven't heard George Michael's first show on WABC, here's a first hour. While George's style and presentation would be considered over the top today, you have to remember this is what was the strategy then to get ratings as there was lots of participation from the talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5h34hiJvhA

I not only listened to George's first moments on WABC, I listened to the entire show that night. Simply, I was blown away by the energy, his wit, extraordinary timing, music knowledge and music selections. There were specific rotation rules in effect, especially for the top 4 songs, but the jocks still picked songs from the gold library. George picked lots of winners. If you listen to George's first words as he introduces himself, they are talked up to Chicago's "Beginnings." An appropriate song for sure. Chicago happens to be among my favorite bands of all time. I often play Beginnings and every time I hear that song, I still recall that unbelievably incredible talk up George delivered that night.

As I mentioned before, the stakes were high. Virtually everyone involved with WABC's management was crowded in that studio that night. Again, as a listener, I didn't know what was going on but what came over the speakers pulled me in. Many decades later, I came to appreciate the fight WABC waged to stay on top. As David Eduardo pointed out in an earlier post, WABC was #1 up to 1978. The big switch to FM happened earlier in a number of other markets. Today, I can just imagine how nervous George was.

In the mid 70s, WABC was programmed in such a way that it mirrored FM in a number of ways. There were 3 stopsets each hour after morning drive running 3 minutes each. The pace was fast. The promotions were creative and nonstop. There was total team effort to perform as well as anyone could given the circumstances. I often imaged how George Michael felt replacing a NYC radio legend - Bruce Morrow- and being on a daypart that was losing the teen audience in droves. George delivered a great show and he was professional. I never suspected a thing but I should have.

We had family in South Florida and we visited at least once a year. I didn't care for what the AM stations sounded like but I came to love WHYI (Y-100). Long story short. It was like a WABC but only better. In 1979, I moved to S. Florida and only listened to AM for talk which at the time was very good because it was local. When I visited family in the NYC area in 1980, George and some others were already gone. My sister got a job at WABC's sister station, WPLJ-FM. She arranged for me to visit the stations with her. It would be the second time I visited WABC. The first time was in the early 70s, I think it was 1973. The station was alive and kickin' then. The last time, in 1980, WABC was a shell of what it once was. The strategy was to move away from teen appeal to more of an adult Gold AC sound but to me, it sounded like creeping death. It was then that I really thought AM's days as a music format were over. For someone like me and many others I'm sure, it all seemed so surreal.

A good number of years ago, I believed commercial radio would be on a death spiral as more and more cars got satellite capabilities. I've been a subscriber to SiriusXM for well over 5 years now. Perhaps even for me, the novelty of that has worn off. There's a Soft AC station where I live that is so good that I don't even bother or I forget to switch back to Sirius. Maybe radio is fighting more than we realize to stay viable. There's still formats I like that commercial radio doesn't provide but still, it's good seeing radio has a lot of fight in her just like many of us experienced in AM's waning days. Listeners have many choices. Radio is still one of them.

I figured Chuck Leonard would move from the 10PM hour to the coveted "teen slot."

It's been my experience that when you get finally someone to do overnights, and do it well, the last thing you want is to be forced to replace him. That's the hardest shift to fill, because it has the smallest audience, and the least revenue. But it was a great job for Chuck, and he did it well for a long time. He was also very identified with that slot, and that audience was not the same as the earlier evening audience. The people who listened to Chuck were the overnight workers and truckers. They were a lot older, mostly male, and more set in their ways. So Rick needed someone new to the WABC audience, and someone who sounded young. Not an easy role to cast. George did it well. He managed to sound young even when he got old.

I was convinced big powerhouse Top 40 stations such as WABC would co-exist with FM. AM would be home to mass-appeal programing where it was normal to hear a bubblegum tune, followed by rock, an oldie, an instrumental or even a novelty song.

It's really simple: When you're competing for young audiences, becoming established isn't a good thing. You want to retain an edge if you want to continue to appeal to young people. That's why it's hard for young artists to keep their fan base at the same size and the same intensity. The newness wears off. That's partly what happened to WABC. But you can't ignore the audio quality issue, when compared to FM stereo. And it wasn't just stereo. You can't ignore the number of commercials WABC ran as compared to FM. You can't compare the choices available once FM stations were added to the limited number of AM stations. In New York, it didn't take long before there was an FM station that played the same hits as WABC, but in full fidelity and with fewer commercials. And then the FCC came along and started to limit the power of those AM stations, trying to cram in more stations into the band. So there were a number of things that marked the end of music on AM. In fact, it's all very familiar to what's happening now.

Last edited:
TheBigA, I appreciate your analysis. But I'd like to amplify my comments in reply to you.

First off, in the early 1970s, I was still a teen. I mentioned this story a number of times in the past, but it's worth repeating in this context. A big accomplishment for any kid is getting a driver's license. Like many other kids, we drove the family car. In my case, it was a 1969 Chevy Nova. It came with a vinyl roof and for the time, it was decent looking car. But it was only equipped with AM Radio. It seemed the guy who had FM in the car became the designated driver and as a result was he was popular from a peer perspective.

When we acknowledge the fact that teens were the first group to begin transitioning to FM, I can see why. Until we got FM in the family car, I was reminded that only old people/our parents listened to AM. As you point out, stereo was a big deal to the masses. To me, it was not. WABC sounded great. There was the echo and that killer signal. The music sounded great to me. But then again, I was never a typical radio listener. And so, when kids my age were in the car as I drove, I made sure a station like 99X (WXLO FM) was on. When driving alone, I listened to WABC because I thought it was a better station. In the mid 70s, WABC had a jingle that went something like "the music sounds best on WABC." 99X countered with something that went " the music here is better than best because we're in stereo." You make a good point.

Fewer commercials was a persuasive selling point for FM. But then, with AM jocks doing many of the spots live, the spots were far more entertaining and certainly with more ad lib humor. As I mentioned prior, by the mid 70s, WABC significantly reduced its spot load to only 9 minutes per hour. For those who already made the switch, their perception of AM was that it was loaded with commercials. It was a tough position to be in.

Back to George Michael. By 1973 and even early into 1974, I noticed Bruce Morrow was not the same jock. Something was off. A lot has been written and speculated about why Bruce seemed to be going through the motions. In my view, if nothing changed and Bruce was still Bruce, I've often wondered if the nighttime teen audience would have eroded even quicker on WABC. Bruce loved the music of the 60s and he was identified with that era. Perhaps the teens of the 70s thought he represented more of their parents taste than their own. Just speculation on my part. But with George Michael coming onboard, he was a new voice. There was no bias. George helped stopped the bleeding. You might say he was cool. His newness in the market worked as an advantage in my view. From that first night in 1974 to the end of 1979, George always sounded focused and he delivered as great a show as he could. He was a professional, pure and simple.

Regarding your comments about Chuck Leonard, I understand what you are saying. However, a decade earlier Bruce Morrow moved from the late evening slot to the teen slot when Scott Muni exited the station. I thought it was a natural progression. Again, not being a typical listener and being young, I may have been keen in picking winners based on sound and presentation but I wasn't savvy about the business of radio. That's an entirely different and complex subject.

But with George Michael coming onboard, he was a new voice. There was no bias. George helped stopped the bleeding. You might say he was cool. His newness in the market worked as an advantage in my view.

Stopped the bleeding? Is this an opinion based on your personal preferences, or fact?

To me, (and this is just my humble opinion), George Michael's style was adding more of the elements of AM radio that was driving people away. THe over the top delivery....(i.e..."Wink Dinkerson from KRUT Radio" to quote Cheech and Chong.) In Philly, he was known and a familiar part of the Philly Radio landscape family. In NYC, I thought he sounded out of place compared to the other jocks, who sounded like real people.

So Rick needed someone new to the WABC audience, and someone who sounded young.

I thought this was Glenn Morgan's responsibility by that time.

There's a Soft AC station where I live that is so good that I don't even bother or I forget to switch back to Sirius.

What Soft AC station might this be?

Last edited:
Stopped the bleeding? Is this an opinion based on your personal preferences, or fact?

I'd like to concentrate on just this one comment because I will respond with a rather detailed analysis. The word "bleeding" probably conveys an image that was not my intent. In this case and time, bleeding was not hemorrhaging but a slow, chipping away at AM music's share of the audience, especially evening hours.

Long before the internet, we got our news from TV and the newspapers, and word of mouth. As an avid listener of WABC, I had insights to the station through a number of sources in addition to listening attentively. The "New York Daily News" was quite good in covering radio. Whenever radio ratings came out, there was a story about it. They featured various radio personalities etc. I cut out these stories and had them, by date order, in a big binder. It may have primitive compared to today, but over time, it was a good way to see trends.

In 1984, PD Rick Sklar published a book called "Rocking America, an insider's story." I've referred to that book so often that it is literally falling apart today. While there are embellishments of certain things and incorrect statements, I still find the book fascinating about the business side of radio. I might also add that when my sister got herself an intern position at WPLJ, she became very good friends with one of the WABC engineers. I'll just use his first name - David. Ultimately, I became good friends with him as well. He doesn't live too far from me today as he is retired and lives in West Palm. He engineered for virtually everybody at WABC and he gave me lots of insights and stories about WABC, including George Michael. The engineering team wasn't too fond of George at all because he was beyond being a stickler for precision.

To best explain my previous commentary, especially in how it relates to Bruce Morrow's departure and eventual hiring of George Michael, a good place to start is in the ratings. According to Rick, Bruce averaged a 21 share of the audience in the late 60s, such as 1968. Yes, FM stations existed but only luxury cars had FM and simply FM's time had still not arrived. In 1970, WABC was #1 in every single demo under the sun, including 65+. Imagine that! Musically, 1970 was an incredibly great year in that it defined mass appeal to a tee. There was something for everybody. The Carpenters came on the music scene including The Jackson 5. Even Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" got airplay. That was also the year WABC became the only stand-alone AM Top 40 station. WMCA bit the dust in September of that year. Cousin Brucie was still very much on top of his game.

Competition not only increased and got fine-tuned on FM, but challenges arose even on AM. There was WWDJ from Hackensack, NJ. A small station but for some New Jerseyans, it was nice having a local station. WNBC-AM was a long-time MOR kind of station. Things started to change. Don Imus was brought on for morning drive. In 1973, Wolfman Jack was hired to compete with Bruce. WNBC promoted this heavily. Wolfman never really dented Bruce's numbers but as I recall reading, probably in the Daily News, Bruce's stock dropped a bit. It was inevitable because of competition from AM AND especially FM.

To quote Rick, he said " The night ratings were still number one, but now WNBC mounted a major campaign against Morrow....I heard Wolfman's show and knew it would never be a threat. I was more concerned about the FM challenges to our nighttime audience." Rick became concerned that Bruce's attention and focus was not on his show. To paraphrase, Rick would often find Bruce on the phone talking business while his engineer tended to the show. There was less participation from Bruce.

Rick had to turn things around. He wrote: My concern was that if Bruce didn't deliver, WABC would lose the nighttime ratings - and it wouldn't be to NBC. I had to get him back on track." That's when Bruce's contract was reopened as Rick wanted his compensation to be tied to ratings. Bruce negotiated a deal at WNBC, and with his contract opened, he could leave - and he did in 1974. On a personal note, I lost a lot of respect for Bruce. My two cents is WABC was very good to him and made him a star.

In my previous post, I talked about how I noticed Bruce's on air enthusiasm etc. had changed. On Saturday nights, Bruce did a dance party oldies kind of show. He was alive and kickin' in that venue. They mixed the currents with lots of gold. For a short time, the weekday shows added more solid gold, perhaps as a way to placate Bruce but that didn't last long. 70s teens were probably not interested in hearing lots of oldies all the time. It may have been one more incentive to tune into FM.

It was a fascinating time for sure. So, George Michael was hired to do the impossible. But as far as bleeding goes, George was a band-aid. Some of the bleeding stopped that may have been superficial but we can say with each passing year, the bleeding got more serious. I don't expect everyone to appreciate a jock's on-air style. Perhaps there were dozens of talent who could have performed better. But, I will always believe George gave it his best and that's what those times required. He delivered.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom