• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM910 Involved in Potential Campaign Scandal

umfan

Star Participant
https://www.freep.com/story/news/po...campaign-links-detroit-radio-hosts/918862002/

I think this shows the risk in running a licensed broadcast enterprise the way Kevin Adell is. While it's not likely to happen, something like this could conceivably be used to question if a license renewal should occur. It appears that Adell took the right action after learning of the issue. Even with tactics like this, Shri still came in a distant third in the primary.

AM 1250 The Answer here in Pittsburgh ended Rose Soma-Tennent's show for similar reasons.
She was working on several campaigns, and evidently they were uncomfortable with the conflicts of interest involved.

While The Answer has some brokered programming, AM910 is basically ALL brokered and has led to a lot of controversy, this just being the latest and the one that could have had the most potential to put the licensing of the station at risk.

All-brokered stations are common these days. I doubt that alone is a reason to pull a license, so long as they meet their bare-minimum public service requirements.

The move from Flint and construction of the big directional array sure seems like a waste in hindsight.

Last edited:
The move from Flint and construction of the big directional array sure seems like a waste in hindsight.

Back in the early 1970s, WFDF used "Pop Tops", which included the call letters or dial position dubbed into a rerecorded intro. One was "Bring The Boys Home" by Freda Payne. It went "Bring The Boys Home, WFDF."

Reiterating the sentiment expressed by many posters on various message boards, "Bring 910 Home, WFDF." Aside from the fact that it comes in like a local at Night in the Straits Area, and better in areas of Washtenaw and Livingston Counties than almost all other AM stations, it's not an unqualified improvement.

Disney paid for the build out for their then strategy of getting Radio Disney nationwide coverage through AM signals. Never would've happened otherwise.

Does anyone recall how much Disney paid for the WFDF license so many years ago? Mr. Adell paid $3 million for it in 2015.

Speaking of Mr. Adell, I think he enjoys seeing his name in the news. He manufactures controversies involving AM 910 personalities, it seems. This is a fringe station that only a very small percentage of Metro Detroit residents tune in on a weekly basis.

Does anyone recall how much Disney paid for the WFDF license so many years ago? Mr. Adell paid $3 million for it in 2015.

Also $3 million from Cumulus to ABC.

Over the first 6 months of the year, the station has averaged an audience size of 600 persons (AQH). That's about 75 watts per listener!

Cume is around 30 thousand.

Which explains why anyone paying people at this station for positive media coverage can still come in third in the primary. No one's listening.

David is right; the cume is tiny. I believe Radio Disney averaged fewer than 20,000, so 30,000 is actually an improvement!

Almost all of Radio Disney's local sponsorship revenue came from area parks & rec departments (what a racket). I believe Quicken Loans was an advertiser for a brief period. Other than that, I cannot recall any other paid advertisers.

TheBigA - "Shri" spent $13 million on television & radio advertising in Michigan during the course of the primary campaign. There are several reasons why his showing on election day was as abysmal as it was, but I'll save most of those for a more appropriate venue. You'll find out some interesting things if you Google him. For now, I'll offer you guys this - his performance in the gubernatorial debates was flat out terrible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom