AM Frequency of the Week: 1600 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AM Frequency of the Week: 1600

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdad View Post
    @radioman...

Did you ever hear WMCW at your location? Where I was as a teenager in Wauconda, they were still definitely listenable. Although they did start to fade rapidly as you went south and east. I could also imagine that splatter from 1590 (WNMP/WLTD) would be an issue. In any event where I was then, as well as now, I never heard WCGO.
    I may have heard WMCW, but the splatter from WNMP was pretty bad in my area. The old WCGO was tough enough at my location.

Day: My radio loves interference. usually WPWA 1590 out of Chester, which is already weak enough but weaker.
    Night: I get WWRL in Seacaucus or WLXE in Rockville. Sometimes a mix

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: nothing these days. WMCW and WCGO used to be heard before they went off through the WONX splatter.
    Nightime: WAAM most likely station to be heard at night.

DX/RETRO: over 20 different stations heard on this frequency in the past including WTRU (Muskegon, MI), WARU (Peru, IN), WSTL Eminence, KY), WNST (Milton, WV), WINX (Rockville, MD), WWRL (NY, NY) WAOS (Austell, GA), CHNR (Simcoe, ON), KCRG (Cedar Rapids, IA), KCGS (Marshall, AR).

Quote Originally Posted by CADXER View Post
    Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

DX/RETRO: over 20 different stations heard on this frequency in the past including WTRU (Muskegon, MI), WARU (Peru, IN), WSTL Eminence, KY), WNST (Milton, WV), WINX (Rockville, MD), WWRL (NY, NY) WAOS (Austell, GA), CHNR (Simcoe, ON), KCRG (Cedar Rapids, IA), KCGS (Marshall, AR).
    That's an impressive list.

I remember hearing WTRU back in the 60s. They're long gone....unless you live in Kernersville, North Carolina. The calls are now in use by a station on 830 there.

KCRG in Cedar Rapids is what evolved into today's KGYM. I believe the KCRG calls are still in use on what used to be in use on KCRG-TV, channel 9. "CRG" stands for the Cedar Rapids Gazette (newspaper), which was co-owned with the broadcast operations.

Anyway, back on-topic, I checked 1600 this morning about an hour before sunrise, and it was KGYM comfortably on top of the channel.
    Owner of a radio receiver

Back to my days in the Twin Cities, 1600 at night was one of the worst war-zone regionals I can remember hearing. Cedar Rapids sent its 5 kW signal north. Add 5kW each for Watertown MN, Ripon WI and 500 watts back in the day from Algona IA made for regular havoc.

Yes, KCRG was once part of the Cedar Rapids Gazette. The Gazette owners, back then owned just the single AM, TV, and newspaper. KCRG became KGYM after its sale to the KZIA owners, Rob Norton, Eliot Keller et al. Keller died several years ago. Norton was killed driving the wrong way on I-380 near Cedar Rapids early this year. KCRG-TV was sold to Gray a few years ago, so today the Gazette focuses just on local newspapers.

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    I gotta second Cyberdad's 'bravo', CADXer! That's quite mess o' fish !

DXing on AM was so much fun back when the AM dial played music and when things were a lot clearer. All of us in the Gang Of Four :-) DX clan near JFK Airport heard KCRG and KATZ when WWRL had decided to sign off. When the 'regionals' associated with NYC signed off, the dial really would come alive. 1600 often was like opening up birthday gifts when The Big RL was silent.

Living in the St. Louis metro, daytime is KATZ. At night, well, believe it or not, it is a jumbled mess. In the past, KATZ put a strong nighttime signal to my QTH, but that signal has grown weaker over the past 15 years.

Never got to reply originally.

1600 days is usually nothing, albeit I may get faint wisps of KVRI Blaine (Punjabi/Indian) or KOPB Eugene OR (OPB) in the dead of winter.
    Nights is a jumble with KVRI on top. For a while KGST Fresno (ESPN Deportes) used to be *THE* most common station at night on 1600 but it doesn't show up as often anymore. KTUB Centerville UT (Juan 1600) is quite common pre-sunrise and at night. KEPN Lakewood CO (ESPN) is rare but doable in winter. KUBA Yuba City CA (Classic Hits) is also often heard at sunset and sometimes at night. At sunset I can often hear KOHI St. Helens OR (Talk) before they power down to 12 watts. KIVA Albuquerque NM (News/Talk) was heard once last year. And my best catch on 1600 was heard in November 2016: WRPN Ripon, WI (Classic Hits) on the same night that I first heard WOZN on 1670...big signal BTW.

Wanted...long list
    KAHZ Pomona CA (Mandarin). The aurora brings in KGST and KUBA but never this one. 5KW should be easy but it's not, as most of the signal is pointed towards Hawaii.
    KTAP Santa Maria CA (Regional Mexican) 470 watts daytime, so maybe a sunset catch during heavy aurora. Most of the signal points towards the water of course.
    KRVA Cockrell Hill TX (Vietnamese) Powers up to 25KW at Dallas sunrise, but I need really good conditions that way, at 4am PT.
    KATZ St. Louis MO (Black Gospel) I hear this signal really gets out. Maybe possible on a really good night? Gospel should stick out like a sore thumb.
    KLEB Golden Meadow LA (Cajun) Just for good measure! Not that I'll ever have a chance unless conditions are spectacular AND they left the 5KW on at night...
    Any of the two Arizona stations would be awesome as well. KYBC is 1KW-D/flea power-N, KXEW is 1KW-D/N.
    773 AM's in the log, 656 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KWEN 95.5 Tulsa OK (7/23/18 Es)
    Last New AM Log: 670 KLTT CO (morning) and 1300 KOLY SD (evening), Halloween 2018

Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    ....KLEB Golden Meadow LA (Cajun) Just for good measure! Not that I'll ever have a chance unless conditions are spectacular AND they left the 5KW on at night...
    KLEB puts in a good daytime signal on the beach near Pensacola. About 150-ish miles (IIRC) via saltwater path. It pretty much disappears when they power down (assuming they "remember" to do that. The cajun format is a treat to listen to.

You also mentioned KVRI. You're probably already of this, but in case not. KVRI exists to provide provide programming for the Punjabi community in Vancouver. IME the signal in most of the metro is at or near local quality.
    Owner of a radio receiver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12