• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

why not put wmid on a local HD

Not like the part time Jet Set crowd that visit the shore...

You mean Atlantic City drove out the tour buses and the weekenders in their Camrys and Accords and replaced them with a fleet of liveried Bentley and Rolls sedan?

In any case, the WMGK HD2 did not even get one listener in the July book and did not appear in the survey.

It cannot be correct, I listened most of the month, my barber has them on, the auto repair shop I use and the grocery store I go to has them on all the time. I don't know how they came up with zero listeners. I can tell them the places, I never hear Boom or XPN on anywhere but they show up in the ratings, go figure...

In any case, the WMGK HD2 did not even get one listener in the July book and did not appear in the survey.

It cannot be correct, I listened most of the month, my barber has them on, the auto repair shop I use and the grocery store I go to has them on all the time. I don't know how they came up with zero listeners. I can tell them the places, I never hear Boom or XPN on anywhere but they show up in the ratings, go figure...

Philadelphia market -- millions of people, thousands of businesses. You -- one person, who patronizes dozens (if that) of businesses, which themselves have only thousands (maybe hundreds) of regular customers combined. Now, figure in that only a couple of thousand people are wearing the meters every month. Yup, it's the old "I don't know anyone who..." fallacy again. Math can be cruel sometimes.

I fear we are about to embark upon a no-win discussion of how anecdotal experience among one's friends are not the same as a proportional panel based survey.

The PPM survey is based on a panel that is a miniature mirror image of the market as a whole, with every component such as age, gender, ethnicity, geography, education, etc., being a close to perfect match of the market.

If a station does not show up in the PPM, it is because, on the broader scope of the entire market, nobody on the panel listened.

That fact does not mean that nobody at all listened. It means that any real listening is so minimal that it is not statistically significant.

Ratings are done primarily so advertisers will have a metric for ad buying. Advertisers who use ratings don't care about minimally listened to stations and they, almost universally, don't buy audiences over 55. So whether the station got a 0.0 or a "thanks for participating" 0.1, there is not enough listening for any advertiser to consider it on an ad buy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom