• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

why not put wmid on a local HD

Gunsmoke

Banned
Would it be possible and legal for Gary to work out a deal with a local Philly HD sub and bring Classic Oldies (WMID/WCMC) into the metro. The way KKGO HD2 is relaying K-Surf in LA, I think it would have many listeners and would be a cool thing, the net feed is in stereo so they are using stereo recordings, it would sound great possibly on WOGL HD2.

Some stations lease out their HD channels to other parties. The catch would be getting the station's audio to Philadelphia. So there are two costs: The lease of the HD, and the lease of a T-1 to get the audio to Philadelphia. The example you give of KKGO and K-surf is with two stations from the same owner. So that's why KKGO is willing to do it. That's not the case with WMID.

I fully agree! I think WOGL or even the new HD on 106.9 could benefit from it.

Would it be possible and legal for Gary to work out a deal with a local Philly HD sub and bring Classic Oldies (WMID/WCMC) into the metro. The way KKGO HD2 is relaying K-Surf in LA, I think it would have many listeners and would be a cool thing, the net feed is in stereo so they are using stereo recordings, it would sound great possibly on WOGL HD2.

Why would WMID, which runs cheap Atlantic City spots, want to pay to rent a Philly HD channel? As said, there is no business model there and no way to cover fairly high costs.

I fully agree! I think WOGL or even the new HD on 106.9 could benefit from it.

How would WOGL benefit? A rented out HD channel adds nothing to WOGL ratings as HD sub channels don’t contribute to the main channel’s ratings.

The only benefit is if they get paid for the space. Otherwise, no, there is no benefit to them.

And WMID is the low biller in its Atlantic City cluster. Why would a local station that bills around $30 thousand a month want to play on the same court as the million-dollar-a-month billers in Philly? It's about as dumb as trying to walk blindfolded across I-95.

Why would a local station that bills around $30 thousand a month want to play on the same court as the million-dollar-a-month billers in Philly? It's about as dumb as trying to walk blindfolded across I-95.

I don't think the station wants to do it. The OP just wants to be able to listen to the station on his car radio, rather than the stream.

He asks would it be possible or legal? Sure. Would it be expensive? Yes. Who would pay for it? No one.

And WMID is the low biller in its Atlantic City cluster. Why would a local station that bills around $30 thousand a month want to play on the same court as the million-dollar-a-month billers in Philly? It's about as dumb as trying to walk blindfolded across I-95.

Because their are many many more seniors in the Philly area my age that would embrace the format. Not like the part time Jet Set crowd that visit the shore area to party not listen to the radio, most of their listeners are probably from the Philly area when visiting. Plus the two weak signals are a really hard catch at night. I would bet if they were on an HD in Philly they would have more listeners than both AM signals combined. I would like to see the numbers for WMGK HD2 with their general oldies, not like WMID's.

Jet setters at the shore? Um...huh? Of course there are some pretty pricey homes, but take a good look at the crowds overall. Jet setters ain’t the first adjective that comes to mind.

Unsurprisingly, the OP continues to ignore the basic economic realities that exist that make such an idea untenable.

Or he could of grabbed the format wheel of the day on 95.3 and had a great signal in stereo, I think he has deeper pockets then the WVCH or the other company attempts at it.

MID/CMC are Jersey properties, 95.3 is likewise, he could have coverage from DELCO to the shore, where 95.3 drops out the AM'ers kick in, and if he can grab a sub all the better. they were on an FM translator 104.1 Absecon last year but it only lasted a few weeks.

There is no reason to believe this owner would put this format on an FM frequency. If there was, he'd do it in Cape May.

The 104.1 translator is owned by another company.

Because their are many many more seniors in the Philly area my age that would embrace the format. Not like the part time Jet Set crowd that visit the shore area to party not listen to the radio, most of their listeners are probably from the Philly area when visiting. Plus the two weak signals are a really hard catch at night. I would bet if they were on an HD in Philly they would have more listeners than both AM signals combined. I would like to see the numbers for WMGK HD2 with their general oldies, not like WMID's.

Then why does one of the lower rated local stations or one of them with an available HD channel put on such a format? It would be local, and not filled with Atlantic City smaller-market commercials.

The reason is that, while not all persons over 65 would listen to that particular format to begin with, advertisers are not wild about advertising to seniors for a variety of reasons.

The WMGK HD2 belongs to, naturally, WMGK. And WMGK is a subscriber so it qualifies for the new-in-July Nielsen Minimum Reporting Standards rule changes. That change states, paraphrased, that any facility of a subscriber that gets one single qualifying listening incident will "make the book". And that means it will show as a 0.1 even if there is just one listening occasion by one single meter panelist!

In any case, the WMGK HD2 did not even get one listener in the July book and did not appear in the survey.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom