Hubbard Testing All-Digital AM on WWFD - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hubbard Testing All-Digital AM on WWFD

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tested View Post

The all-digital signal in DC is an interesting experiment and I would love to hear how it sounds on an HD radio.
    While WWFD is licensed in the Washington metro, it is a very suburban signal. Its 10 mV/m does not leave far-off Fredrick Country, covering about 120,000 persons in a market of 5.8 million. Its 5 mV/m barely nudges Montgomery County.

But, to make the point, all-digital AM sounds every bit as good as analog FM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

While WWFD is licensed in the Washington metro, it is a very suburban signal. Its 10 mV/m does not leave far-off Fredrick Country, covering about 120,000 persons in a market of 5.8 million. Its 5 mV/m barely nudges Montgomery County.

But, to make the point, all-digital AM sounds every bit as good as analog FM.
    I've only heard the video that's on YouTube of someone playing the station through their little Sangean portable, and it sounds terrible. Like RealAudio circa 1994. I'd really like to hear a line-out tap of the audio direct from a good receiver, but I don't think it's going to sound good at all no matter how careful the audio is treated.

Quote Originally Posted by tomservo View Post
    I've only heard the video that's on YouTube of someone playing the station through their little Sangean portable, and it sounds terrible. Like RealAudio circa 1994. I'd really like to hear a line-out tap of the audio direct from a good receiver, but I don't think it's going to sound good at all no matter how careful the audio is treated.
    I have heard the pure digital AM demo at NAB, and it does sound as good as analog FM.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

I have heard the pure digital AM demo at NAB, and it does sound as good as analog FM.
    It really does! Compared with analog AM, the difference is very dramatic.

I don't have a recording, but I was sitting at LAX waiting on a flight in the terminal. I picked up a couple of HD AM stations with my Sangean HDR-14. The kick over to digital made a huge difference in the listening experience. It sounds much better.

Quote Originally Posted by rbc View Post
    I don't have a recording, but I was sitting at LAX waiting on a flight in the terminal. I picked up a couple of HD AM stations with my Sangean HDR-14. The kick over to digital made a huge difference in the listening experience. It sounds much better.
    I did not know that there were still "a couple of" AMs with HD in the LA market.

KSUR may be in HD, but in the areas I have been in LA lately, there was not enough signal. KFWB was in HD, but I understand that they turned it off shortly after going Spanish as La Mera Mera.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 11-02-2018 at 10:04 PM.

I'm pretty sure one was KNX. I don't remember the call of the other. KSUR and KFWB were reported by Karl Dahlquist on 5/17/18 via YouTube (about minute 21:20) in addition to KNX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra2t8i3lVag

I was there in September.
    Last edited by rbc; 11-03-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123