• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No Fourth Radio Station For Sinclair...

...and in fact they're being sued for a billion. http://investors.tribunemedia.com/2...roup-Inc-Files-Lawsuit-For-Breach-of-Contract

Maybe they'll sell Seattle radio to help pay the judgement. :rolleyes:

They may as well sell KOMO-TV too and be done with this market. That may yet happen as their news policies (especially at KOMO-TV) has been nothing but a lightning rod of bad publicity for Sinclair, which takes it's toll on shareholders and Seattle just isn't going to roll over for their "agenda".

I don't get it. Why do several hobbyists who post on this board SO want Sinclair to sell their radio properties?

Unlike TV, Sinclair doesn't seem to exercise any sort of editorial stranglehold on the radio properties. What's the deal?

I don't get it. Why do several hobbyists who post on this board SO want Sinclair to sell their radio properties?

Unlike TV, Sinclair doesn't seem to exercise any sort of editorial stranglehold on the radio properties. What's the deal?

I am in complete agreement with you here. KOMO Radio has remained the same since the Fisher days, IMHO.

Everybody feels Sinclair isn’t a “radio company”. I do believe they owned a couple of major market radio clusters in the late 90’s-early 00’s...they just prefer to focus on TV. If another cluster not unlike Fisher is ever bought up by them (not many left in the country), don’t be shocked if they keep the radio stations associated with them.

The fact is, the radio division makes great money, has fairly low liabilities, and I’d much rather have Sinclair ownership for the radio properties (TV is another exception) over the other major companies running things here in Western Washington. They don’t do things on the cheap like many clusters do.

I haven't listened to KOMO in a while. But it didn't sound too groveling to the Commander in Whatever. KPLZ is still your hipster mom's station and KVI is still your drunken uncle's station, last I heard them.

Aside from cutting budget everywhere imaginable (including Paul Tosch), changing the hosts and the focus of midday and afternoon slots with regularity, yeah it's the same.

Most of the radio news stations that had airborne traffic have dropped it due to lack of ROI. With all the highway sensors and traffic information from commercial traffic apps in combination with free ones like like Waze, the cost of maintaining aircraft, insurance, and paying salary to a traffic pilot, there is no benefit anymore.

The biggest change I've noticed to KOMO since Synclaire took over is the amount of lifestyle programming on weekends. Under Fisher, they had a gardening show on Saturdays, dropped for Tami Michaels and that was it. Now the lineup is as follows:
Inside Out the original lifestyle program on KOMO.
Talking Real Money
The Boom X Show
Own It
IRG's Health Talk, moved from KVI
The Boss Show
Sip Northwest Live, at least I think this show is still on
Adventure Awaits, the newest addition to the lineup, didn't realize Seth Wayne was such a travel buff
Our Auto Expert. That's a lot of programming that's not news on weekends, which is why I asked if KOMO could really be considered all news anymore some months back. Although it was pointed out that WTOP has some similar programming on weekends, it didn't sound like it was nearly as extensive. It sounds like if I turned on WTOP at 11:00 on a Sunday night I might actually still get some local news. On KOMO, you get an update from ABC, then into audio from This Week. Personally I'd move This Week and Perspective earlier and keep the simulcast of KOMO-TV audio at 11.

You mean anchors drone the traffic and news.

Yo dawg. We heard you like drones. So we added more drone inside the AI speech synthesis chips of your radio traffic drones.

You mean anchors drone the traffic and news.

They're not that bad. I listen to KOMO sometimes on weekends when I tire of the other news and info stations.

If you want to hear boring programming, listen to 1130AM in Vancouver BC, CHMJ (?). Endless traffic. Makes NOAA weather broadcasts sound invigorating.

Yeah, exaggerating, but not all that much...

You mean 730, not 1130. I'm kind of intrigued by that station, though if I were in Vancouver it would not be a preset, would likely listen to CKWX 1130.

I can't tell what CHMJ is. All Traffic or Sports, it was either one or the other when I tuned in

You mean 730, not 1130. I'm kind of intrigued by that station, though if I were in Vancouver it would not be a preset, would likely listen to CKWX 1130.

You're right. For some reason I get those two messed up.

CKWX 1130 is a bit better. I just don't get CHMJ 730, but I guess it does OK, it gets the job done.

All-traffic 730. Gotta be one of the few 24 hour a day live and local AMs left out there, anywhere. At least live...I guess they don't have to be local.

All-traffic 730. Gotta be one of the few 24 hour a day live and local AMs left out there, anywhere. At least live...I guess they don't have to be local.

You ought to look at markets like Mexico City and Buenos Aires and Lima and Bogotá... dozens of live and local AM stations.

The obvious reason is that the governments did not nearsightedly license so many stations to low power and make them directional. No daytimers in any of those markets, and many with power in the 50kw to 100 kw range.

Sadly, it's a political (mob mentality) bias against Sinclair as a company.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom