• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Reelradio.com is back online

KWahlers

New Participating Member
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so I would ask the moderators to move it to the proper place. Many of you are familiar with Reelradio.com - it went online in 1996 as a museum of airchecks. It is the product of many contributors, but primarily the efforts of Richard Irwin - "Uncle Ricky" as he was known on the site. In 2017, Richard's health had deteriorated to a point where he stopped being able to update the site - in May, 2018, these health problems resulted in the site being shut down. In June, 2018, Richard passed away.

Fortunately, Richard provided for the continuation of the archive by creating a corporation, Reelradio.com - a California nonprofit corporation that holds the website and the other intellectual property. We were able to salvage the materials in Richard's house that belonged to Reelradio.com. Barry Brown, the System Administrator is acting as executive director and is volunteering his time.

The Board is currently working on stabilizing the site financially and technically. It's operating essentially the way it did for the last year when Richard stopped updating it. My hope is that we will at some point be able to produce new content. . . . not sure that we have the financial or technical resources to do it (as of today we have between $5-6,000 in remaining funds). We will need help from the community to do this - Reelradio is a 501(c)(3) so anything that is contributed must be devoted to the non-profit purpose of Reelradio, Inc. - which in a nutshell is to document the history of Top 40 radio and make it available to the public. So please come visit us at www.reelradio.com - best way to contact us is to go on our facebook page (I am assuming that Richard is probably rolling over in his grave on that one - he was a twitter person) and send messages or comments. If you have suggestions, want to make contributions or volunteer - well, there is a lot of work to do - the Board is passionate about making the site the best that it can be, at least without Richard doing his work, and having it be a place where we can relive a bit of the past and learn from it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this - I hope you will support our efforts.

Kip Wahlers

Hi Kip, glad to hear this news, and thanks to you for your work.

One of the issues the site was dealing with was a challenge from SoundExchange for the payment of music royalties. Has that situation been resolved?

I just discovered the site is back ! I only have a phone pc died 4 years ago. Luckily I can listen to at least some airchecks. I use to contribute via my amazon account when I made a purchase. Hopefully I still can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom