• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KUOW Seattle Increasing Local News Coverage

Excellent examples for the young broadcasters to study... The thing I notice now days, in agreement with Seatownmedia, is the lack of energy behind the young voices, almost like mumbling, no air pressure behind the voice and you can hear them not moving their mouth or lips any more than minimally necessary... Almost to the point of the vocal fry trend where there is barely enough air to create a consistent tone so it breaks up.

Excellent examples for the young broadcasters to study... The thing I notice now days, in agreement with Seatownmedia, is the lack of energy behind the young voices, almost like mumbling, no air pressure behind the voice and you can hear them not moving their mouth or lips any more than minimally necessary... Almost to the point of the vocal fry trend where there is barely enough air to create a consistent tone so it breaks up.

Have you ever watched Newsy? Very similar to what you describe.

I think Hanna Scott has a good radio voice. It's distinctive, and lively, and just a little on the sultry side. It works for radio, and she projects it quite well.

Recently KUOW has been throwing in traffic updates, not actual traffic reports but just a mention if there is a serious issue... This morning they warned everyone should avoid a crash and blocked lanes at SW 65th street in Ballard. For the out of town listeners, Ballard is in NW Seattle so it would be pretty easy to avoid any SW locations. It makes me wonder if they consistently make mistakes on small details like this how many mistakes do they make in the rest of their local news coverage.

Recently KUOW has been throwing in traffic updates, not actual traffic reports but just a mention if there is a serious issue... This morning they warned everyone should avoid a crash and blocked lanes at SW 65th street in Ballard. For the out of town listeners, Ballard is in NW Seattle so it would be pretty easy to avoid any SW locations. It makes me wonder if they consistently make mistakes on small details like this how many mistakes do they make in the rest of their local news coverage.

Now there's an example of some serious nit-picking. So, you expect them to explain to out-of-town people of where Ballard is and how it's laid out? If any station did that given the street naming in the Seattle area, they wouldn't have time to do any other programming. Traffic reports are generally for residents/listeners. Tourists don't count.

I'm an old timer.
I remember when Ballard used to be NW.

It makes me wonder if they consistently make mistakes on small details like this how many mistakes do they make in the rest of their local news coverage.

Did they actually send a reporter to Ballard to get this information, or was it a traffic report they received from Total Traffic? Two different things.

Kelly, I don't expect the station to explain anything to out of town listeners... I was referring to the out of town readers of this forum as "listeners." I do expect them to get the names of the street correct if they are going to try doing their own traffic alerts.

I do expect them to get the names of the street correct if they are going to try doing their own traffic alerts.

What I'm saying is don't blame the station if their source has incorrect information. Oft-times, in live radio, you're just trying to get the information out, and not doing critical reading.

I don't know about this one. If you are a Seattleite who is knowledgeable about the street system you could probably put 2+2 together and understand the reporter meant NW as opposed to SW. All well and good. But if you are unfamiliar with the area, the mistake is quite bad. So "notalent" has a good point here, IMO.

If you are a Seattleite who is knowledgeable about the street system....

So should that be a requirement to report the news on KUOW? Someone should let AFTRA know.

Once again, here's the criticism:

Originally Posted by notalent
It makes me wonder if they consistently make mistakes on small details like this how many mistakes do they make in the rest of their local news coverage.

So should that be a requirement to report the news on KUOW? Someone should let AFTRA know.

Once again, here's the criticism:

Originally Posted by notalent

AFTRA? Do they even exist in the Seattle radio market anymore? Perhaps they do, but I thought they are mostly gone from Seattle stations.

But yes, any mishap of reporting effects how listeners perceive overall reporting.

AFTRA? Do they even exist in the Seattle radio market anymore?

KUOW is a union shop, represented by SAG-AFTRA. As reported earlier in this thread.

http://www.insideradio.com/free/uni...cle_a2836b6c-188b-11e9-a315-ffd76c0e87f4.html

But yes, any mishap of reporting effects how listeners perceive overall reporting.

I don't think reading a traffic report has anything to do with actual serious reporting. I've done both, and I know the difference.

If one person makes a mistake, that mistake is on him, and everyone else shouldn't bear the responsibility of his mistake.

I've also done both, and I can tell you for a fact that general perception does indeed cross the lines of what you consider "serious" or "traffic". The average listener doesn't separate the two. Some in the biz think they are above the fray, but they really never are.

Some in the biz think they are above the fray, but they really never are.

This is not about being "above the fray." It's about being fair.

Maybe we should throw out everything you say because you didn't know KUOW is a union shop.

Is that fair? I don't think so.

This is not about being "above the fray." It's about being fair.

Maybe we should throw out everything you say because you didn't know KUOW is a union shop.

Is that fair? I don't think so.

I don't think so either. What is your point?

It really doesn't matter at the end of the day whether KUOW is a union shop. They are a licensed radio station and they are required to provide fair and accurate information, but are certainly allowed to make mistakes, which in this case they did.

I think you are arguing here so for the sake of arguing. Done.

They are a licensed radio station and they are required to provide fair and accurate information, but are certainly allowed to make mistakes, which in this case they did.

The fact they are a licensed broadcast station has zero to do with programming, unless it's considered obscene material by definition. We don't live in Canada, and thus there is no requirement to "provide fair and accurate information." Frankly one could argue that the current slate of political talk show hosts broadcast inaccurate or flat-out lies on a daily basis.

Nit picking about a stupid traffic report, whether there is a street naming error is just that...stupid. Bet if you stuck Notalent on the air for several hours a day, they would make an occasional mistake too. OFF WITH THEIR LICENSE I TELL YOU!!

The fact they are a licensed broadcast station has zero to do with programming, unless it's considered obscene material by definition. We don't live in Canada, and thus there is no requirement to "provide fair and accurate information." Frankly one could argue that the current slate of political talk show hosts broadcast inaccurate or flat-out lies on a daily basis.

Nit picking about a stupid traffic report, whether there is a street naming error is just that...stupid. Bet if you stuck Notalent on the air for several hours a day, they would make an occasional mistake too. OFF WITH THEIR LICENSE I TELL YOU!!

No, you are correct, Kelly. I am still hanging on to media the way it was back when we were growing up. I guess it is time to throw all that out the window, sadly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom