• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How did KASS call letters get approved by the FCC?

I guess they were approved by the same guy who approved KLIT.

K-LIT in LA was always written with a hyphen. There was a rather frequent "abduction" of the hyphen from the raised metal letters on the front of the building on Sunset Boulevard, followed by an unpleasant scene performed as a soliloquy by the manager.

A new hyphen would be ordered. It would eventually be taken.

On the air, it was Kay-lite. The legal ID was "Kay.... El Eye Tee... Kay Lite."

They wanted to be "lite" so badly that they created their own Rocky Horror Show of Radio.

At one point, DFW had a low powered TV station with the KSEX calls while airing (I think) informercials. I couldn't receive the station but I could imagine that it aired informercials for "toys" if you know what I mean (I'm sure not).

Today the calls are now KBOP. The KSEX calls are now in San Diego.

At one point, DFW had a low powered TV station with the KSEX calls while airing (I think) informercials. I couldn't receive the station but I could imagine that it aired informercials for "toys" if you know what I mean (I'm sure not).

Today the calls are now KBOP. The KSEX calls are now in San Diego.

It went off the air in 2017

KSEX-CD ceased operations October 31, 2017

One of my favorite radio stations as a kid was KACA Prosser, WA. No big deal in 1962 when the station opened. But as the area's Spanish speaking population rapidly increased (the city is over a third Hispanic now) it was changed in 1992.

Last edited:
The FCC policy going back to the 1980s appears to be "this is a marketplace issue." If you really want to call your station KUNT or WFUK, they'll let you use the calls. But the marketplace hasn't seemed to reward anyone who's tried, going back to the original test case of WSEX in the Chicago suburbs.

The FCC policy going back to the 1980s appears to be "this is a marketplace issue." If you really want to call your station KUNT or WFUK, they'll let you use the calls.

That's hard to believe. No state will issue a license plate with "ASS" on it, let alone those three-letter combos preceding "FUD" and "FUL." And the very same FCC skips those combos in its amateur call sign sequences and won't allow a ham to request one as a "vanity" call. Check any old Callbook -- WB2ASR is followed by WB2AST, K6FUB is followed by K6FUD, etc.

It was 23 or 24 years ago when oldies KPGM 106.9 requested the call letter change to KASS for “Kick Ass Rock n Roll” and flipped to classic rock. The station bombed and quickly began calling itself “Kick 106.9” while keeping the KASS calls.

The FCC was challenged in the 80's after 92.7 in metro Chicago was denied the WSEX calls. The FCC either lost or relented and eventually allowed them. WSEX didn’t fare particularly well either and switched calls a few years later.

My favorite calls were used in Colorado in the not too distant past. Those, of course, would be KCUF. I can already hear the jingle “KCUF, Spell it backwards!” The operator of the Colorado station, however, said the callsign stood for “Keeping Colorado Uniquely Free.”

They probably wanted CASS, but I'm guessing that a Canadian station already has that one!

Wrong guess. Chile owns CA through CE. Canada has CF through CK. These are the ITU's allocations, although it should be noted that Canada uses the CB prefix on CBC stations. The Wikipedia entry gives no explanation for this apparent incursion into another country's call sign territory, but Canada's been doing it for years, so maybe at one time it did have CB and is allowed to "share" the prefix with the ITU's designated owner through some sort of grandfathering, or an international handshake agreement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom