The KISW "Miss Rock" Hydro - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The KISW "Miss Rock" Hydro

There was one hydro that broke down so much, it practically needed oars...Which one was it? I can't remember....
    To the person who stole my antidepressants; I hope you're happy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    There was one hydro that broke down so much, it practically needed oars...Which one was it? I can't remember....
    That was the Miss Chick-Fil-A, always veered to the right and never worked on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by AQH View Post
    That was the Miss Chick-Fil-A, always veered to the right and never worked on Sunday.
    Ha Ha Ha I see what you did there.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

The story of this event being diminished in Seattle is more about Seattle than unlimited hydroplane racing. True, the events are fewer overall, but the real issue is Seattle is such a changed city from when this sport was huge.

In the 50's KING TV made it an annual TV event, by the 60's, all three network affiliates offered live television coverage. It was "The" event of the year. Of course, there were no pro sports in town, other than a minor league baseball team, and the Sonics in '67, (but out of season). The U of W was the only competition, but in the summer, (before the football season), even they had no sway.

As Seattle gradually added pro teams the event became diminished in the late 70's. As mentioned, KIRO TV became the sole provider of TV coverage until that ended. Another factor is the migration to Seattle from other States in the 80's through especially the past half decade has made the event less significant to the masses.

I don't think the pro sports teams made as much of a difference as the change in the City's population (from Boeing country, to Microsoft country, to Amazon country).

The Mariners were around back during the 80's when the event was still big. So was a version of the Sounders. I think the growth in population, plus the change in how the event was coordinated -- from something Joe Everyman could enjoy, to an event tailored more for the yacht-club crowd -- was more important.

Of course, traffic, and all that changed, making it easier for a lot of people to forego the entire process of going to the event. And, of course, people coming here from all over the world really had no connection with Seafair or the hydros.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12