• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

John McCaa announces retirement from WFAA, will retire on March 1, 2019

Will_H_69_9

Star Participant
A long time evening news staple in North Texas, John McCaa has been delivering the news for the DFW Metroplex area for over near 35 years at WFAA Channel 8, announced on Monday night's 10 PM newscast on WFAA (which was spoiled by WFAA.com's post about it) that he will retire from reporting the news on March 1, 2019, McCaa will spend the next few months wrapping up his career at WFAA, while the search is on for his successor as the evening news anchor. he had been hosting the 10 PM newscast since 1992.

We all kinda figure this was coming sooner than later, as he isn't getting any younger and the TV news industry is a cut-throat business that thrives on younger talent these days.

but still, this is the other half of the legendary news team of John McCaa and Gloria Compos that is now retiring, Campos retired in 2014 after being with the station since 1984. and to add things further, John McCaa and Gloria Compos along with weatherman Troy Dungan and sports director Dale Hansen was consider the top team at WFAA during the 90s all the way up to Troy's retirement from WFAA in 2007 when he handed the title of Chief Meteorologist over to Pete Delkus who had joined WFAA in 2005, as pretty much Troy's protege to carry the WFAA weather team when Troy did retire.

anyway, i predict that Ron Corning and Jason Wheeler might be the top candidate for the 10 PM anchor if WFAA decided to go in house to name John's successor in the 10 PM anchor seat. and if Ron does gets the evening slot, then it will be a daybreak reunion with him and Cynthia Izaguirre, as he joined WFAA in 2011 and he and Cynthia (who's been at WFAA since 2008) had hosted Daybreak from 2011 until her departure with the morning show in 2014 to succeed Campos in the 10 pm co-anchor spot after her retirement from the station.

WFAA's story about his retirement:
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/its-not-easy-wfaa-anchor-john-mccaa-announces-hell-retire/287-581061866

John McCaa is the best anchor in the DFW market. He's one of the last ties the news department has back to its heyday in the 80s. I've never met him, but have known several people who worked with him who say he is one of the best people they've ever known. Always kind and helpful to anyone, regardless of how long they'd been in the business or whether they were just an intern trying to learn.

Channel 8 has huge shoes to fill in this spot. Jason Wheeler and Ron Corning are good thoughts, but I would not be surprised to see them go outside the station for this hire.

Over the past month or so, Channel 8 has been slowly introducing John's replacement, Chris Lawrence. I've seen this done before where Channel 8 brought in Pete Delkus to work with Troy Dungan then when Dungan retired the transition to Delkus was smooth.
Others have done this too. But to be honest, this transition has been off the mark. They've had all these fabricated pieces with Lawrence going around the area with other reporters - seemingly learning about the area. They had a ridiculous segment on the morning show where he had breakfast at Norma's Cafe. He's been doing stories in studio as well. But here's the thing, they've been pointing out over and over that this guy is from outside the area and doesn't know it well. Worse, the more I see of him the less I like him. Lawrence seems like a nice guy, but he just doesn't strike me as a good anchor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom