• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest July Radio Ratings

My internet for some reason is not loading it tonight

Pretty much status quo, with all moves within wobble territory. Big climber looks to be WGN, up 0.6 to 3.0 on the strength of who knows what; the White Sox were just as hopeless in July as they were in the first three months of the season. Franken-FM WRME wobbles up 0.4 to 3.7, WLIT down 0.4 to 3.1. Other than those, it's all flat to +/- 0.3 across the board.

Pretty much status quo, with all moves within wobble territory. Big climber looks to be WGN, up 0.6 to 3.0 on the strength of who knows what; the White Sox were just as hopeless in July as they were in the first three months of the season. Franken-FM WRME wobbles up 0.4 to 3.7, WLIT down 0.4 to 3.1. Other than those, it's all flat to +/- 0.3 across the board.

and yet, all of you missed the tie at #2 - and the jump that WLS-FM has made from the previous month to get there :)

and yet, all of you missed the tie at #2 - and the jump that WLS-FM has made from the previous month to get there :)

Son of a gun! OK, so WLS-FM edges WGN for the biggest jump in a remarkably stagnant book by 0.1. Has that station been doing any special promos or tweaking its playlist, or is this just a statistical wobble, too?

What I Think..... :)

Son of a gun! OK, so WLS-FM edges WGN for the biggest jump in a remarkably stagnant book by 0.1. Has that station been doing any special promos or tweaking its playlist, or is this just a statistical wobble, too?

WLS-FM had, I believe, the BIGGEST jump of ANY station in the latest report - they've been tweaking a lot, and it sure sounds great to hear - check it out for yourself right here :) - http://www.947wls.com/

Rob Feder talks about the ratings winners in his his piece for today (Dr. Wayne's link). He includes WRME in that group, and indeed, they're in the top ten for all listed dayparts except for morning drive. For those who've been wondering when they're going to stream. The answer is "probably never". But you can now listen to them online. WRME ("MeTV Fm)....or at least the format...is on 99.9FM HD-2 in Milwaukee, which is also streaming on the Radio.com app.

Good question on WGN Radio, and I did see Robert Feder reported on the ratings. And it was also expected that the Chicago White Sox weren't going to have a winning season since they are again in the re-building phase, and that doesn't look to chance again anytime soon. Things could change soon for WGN Radio in the next few months if the Chicago Blackhawks has a much better season then they had last season, but that is of course depends if they can keep Corey Crawford healthy for most (if not) all the whole season.

Rob Feder talks about the ratings winners in his his piece for today (Dr. Wayne's link). He includes WRME in that group, and indeed, they're in the top ten for all listed dayparts except for morning drive. For those who've been wondering when they're going to stream. The answer is "probably never". But you can now listen to them online. WRME ("MeTV Fm)....or at least the format...is on 99.9FM HD-2 in Milwaukee, which is also streaming on the Radio.com app.

I am sure that you are right about when Me TV will stream, which will be never which again will be the same thing if they will ever have djs in their studios to play selected songs to play on the air.

And I just tired it this evening and low and behold it took me there tonight, it must be embarrassing for some stations like WDCB that comes in under 1.0 in the ratings

CORRECTION:

The MeTV-FM format is streaming on 99.1FM HD-2 from Milwaukee. (Not 99.9). Where I live (Crystal Lake), 99.1, WMYX, is the strongest Milwaukee signal, but probably still not strong enough to activate the HD signal. The HD-2 stream....available on Radio.com, and branded as MeTV-FM...is like a clone of the original, but with fewer breaks in the music.

I was able to listen to WRME last week OTA, and the station sounds very good. They had some notable advertisers on there, Grainger and Art Van among them. Weigel really made the most from this business strategy.

Quite the big jump for WGN-AM, jumping ahead of WBBM-F.

For WRME to have passed WLIT and sustained such a significant lead in cume should have iHeart looking at their strategy. I'm curious as to how the billings of the stations compare.

WCKL, the successor to the Loop isn't likely to see any increase in their ratings from the low to mid 1.0s, but EMF likely is pleased they now have full power FMs in both Chicago and Detroit.

I have a feeling the audience is still too heavily packed with demographic "deplorables" -- 55+ -- for it to be billing more than WLIT.

Also, since WRME could be cast into oblivion by one FCC ruling, eliminating analog LPTV, you'd think advertisers might be reluctant to sign long-term deals. What is Weigel's plan if the FCC closes the loophole his station has taken advantage of so well?

I have a feeling the audience is still too heavily packed with demographic "deplorables" -- 55+ -- for it to be billing more than WLIT.

Also, since WRME could be cast into oblivion by one FCC ruling, eliminating analog LPTV, you'd think advertisers might be reluctant to sign long-term deals. What is Weigel's plan if the FCC closes the loophole his station has taken advantage of so well?

The demographics are certainly older-leaning, but the station does fine in 25-54... but not well enough to get on most agency buys. It averages around 25th in 25-54, the sales demo. The AQH persons in that demo are less than half those of WLIT, which itself is not a great performer.

If it is getting bought, the rates are commensurate with the smaller audience size... about 75% lower than the #1 station in 25-54, WTMX.

Most transactional business is relatively short-term, and can be cancelled almost instantly. The era of the annual contract, even in local business, is pretty much gone. An advertiser that watches numbers will be able to stop using the station on very short notice if the frequency is eliminated or if the ratings drop.

Last edited:
For WRME to have passed WLIT and sustained such a significant lead in cume should have iHeart looking at their strategy. I'm curious as to how the billings of the stations compare.

WLIT has well over double the 25-54 listening of WRME. The iHeart strategy for WLIT has to be improving some specific part of 25-54, not aiming at a station that has 3/4 of its audience outside the conventional sales demos. In fact, the average age of the listeners is about 67.

Remember, radio is sold based on audience delivery. WRME's rates are going to be commensurate with the size of the audience in each advertisier's target, with station delivering more listeners getting higher rates.

It is too bad that on weekends that they don't keep track of what radio stations gets radios wise on Saturdays and Sundays, even if there are a lot of people that are lucky to get their weekends free, where they have both Saturday and Sundays free where they don't have to work. I would love to see what WBEZ gets on weekends, when their weekend programming gets to air, like take for example between 10:00-11: AM on Saturday mornings when they first air the new episode of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, that a show is regularly recorded in Chicago at the Chase Bank Auditorium in Chase Tower, in less they either have a week off, or they record a show on the road, or if they tape a show in Millennium Park. And I love to see what WGN Radio gets on weekends when a lot of their weekend shows air, I don't count John Williams as one of their weekend hosts, as is a week day host that also does a show on Saturday mornings for 2 hours, and he generally gets one day off, unlike the rest of their show hosts that gets both Saturdays and Sundays off. And most of their weekend shows runs for 2 hours with some shows either having a 3 running time or 4 hours, or 1 hour or less.

Quite the big jump for WGN-AM, jumping ahead of WBBM-F.

And I am sure the big reason for this jump for them, is the contest that Steve Cochran does at about 7:20 weeks ays mornings, where they told their other radio show hosts to promote his contest on their shows, where I am assuming everbody but Steve Cochran promotes the contest that he does at this time slot, I mean why would Steve Cochran will need to promote his own contest?

PPM Weekends.

It is too bad that on weekends that they don't keep track of what radio stations gets radios wise on Saturdays and Sundays....

Any PPM market is a 24/7 metered market. There are specific ratings breakdowns for each weekend day as well as both given the very different listening habits across the weekend. And stations program to their demos differently on the weekends as well.

The non-subscribed numbers don't see that level of granularity as the broken down data is only contained in the subscribed reports themselves. Not the "public release" stuff.

What's really sad is some really big stations do not subscribe and their numbers are now no longer available to anyone....even subscribers. This makes the whole PPM product less relevant. Station's won't really know if there is a dark horse out there which they need to pay attention beyond what the report does show.

RR

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom