Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: July 2018 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: July 2018

All excellent points, CT and DE!

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    As well, it's not as though WRFF is a caboose with a busted axle dragging down the whole cluster.

If it's making its own way revenue-wise, it can afford to whistle and continue on course. Some new act or trend or show might pop up. And there's always the non-terrestrial communications and publicity options (an area where iHeart is well-versed) And what would they change the format to anyway? Back to Sunny?

I noticed today checking out the 8 music/video outlets on my cable system. All of them are non stop urban talk/hip hop//rap and R&B of some sort. It's like any type of Pop/Rock or Alternative product doesn't exist. Apparently Madison Avenue wants to shove and push one type of music, so it amazes me how Rock and Alternative formats can still be around when this music is TOTALLY ignored on any type of outlet. Just the facts, Fuse a one time rock outlet way back when is now on the urban bandwagon. There is plenty of Rock product out there but the pie is not sliced fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    Apparently Madison Avenue wants to shove and push one type of music, so it amazes me how Rock and Alternative formats can still be around when this music is TOTALLY ignored on any type of outlet. Just the facts, Fuse a one time rock outlet way back when is now on the urban bandwagon. There is plenty of Rock product out there but the pie is not sliced fair.
    Who said the pie has to be sliced fair? We're talking about popular taste. Popular taste isn't fair or equal either. Not every record released sells the same amount, not every concert can fill a stadium, not every song gets to #1. Advertisers are just interested in reaching the biggest group. Yes that's not fair, but why do you think they call it "alternative?" It's not meant to be popular. It's meant to be an alternative to what is popular. The minute an alternative artist becomes popular, they're called sellouts. If you want to pay for your narrow niche, you can. That's what this is about. All forms of music are available, but some attract large audiences, while others don't. That's just how things are.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    I noticed today checking out the 8 music/video outlets on my cable system. All of them are non stop urban talk/hip hop//rap and R&B of some sort. It's like any type of Pop/Rock or Alternative product doesn't exist. Apparently Madison Avenue wants to shove and push one type of music, so it amazes me how Rock and Alternative formats can still be around when this music is TOTALLY ignored on any type of outlet. Just the facts, Fuse a one time rock outlet way back when is now on the urban bandwagon. There is plenty of Rock product out there but the pie is not sliced fair.
    Cable is supported by the viewer base, and cable systems, and most particularly the MSOs, make deals to carry channels that will attract viewers (or, today, keep them from cutting the cord). They actually do quite a bit of research into likes and dislikes and know what channels make their lineup attractive.

Since cable systems (and satellite deliverers) pay fees to the channels they carry, they do not want to be paying for or wasting channel space on options that are not of much viewer interest. That includes music channels.

A good example is seen with satellite radio. At one point, they had about 8 channels on the main tier with Spanish language talk and music. The subscriber count did not benefit from the many options, so they reduced the number of channels drastically. They have a limited resource, and they want each channel to be attractive to a significant number of listeners, so they eliminate the channels that don't help them make money.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Oh David, there you go using facts and reason again.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AbrahamJSimpson View Post
    Oh David, there you go using facts and reason again.
    Fortunately, that's just a venal sin and not a mortal one.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234