• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: July 2018

DAS AM still listed as Jazz but a show and probably will go up due to the flamethrower on 102.5, I listen on occasion, RFF HD2 Active shows up, and USL HD2 listed as Urban AC, but is Spanish shows up also. Nice to see sides showing up that are not hooked up to some translator.

How many Nielson meter-wearers does it take to pull a 0.1 share in the book? I find it hard to believe that there are enough HD radios out there, let alone listeners, to show up without benefit of an analog translator.

I find it hard to believe that there are enough HD radios out there, let alone listeners, to show up without benefit of an analog translator.

My new car came with HD radio as standard equipment. My understanding is that most cars produced in the past 3-5 years have had HD as standard equipment. I suspect a lot of listening is being done in cars.

How many Nielson meter-wearers does it take to pull a 0.1 share in the book? I find it hard to believe that there are enough HD radios out there, let alone listeners, to show up without benefit of an analog translator.

Nearly all the -HD stations that show in Nielsen are attached to an FM translator. Nearly all the listening is to the translator.

In the new Minimum Reporting Standards, a subscribed station that gets enough listening by a single listener will qualify a station for "making the book" and garner a 0.1 share. For unsubscribed stations, any that report enough listening to garner a 0.1 will be listed. That might be a couple of meters listening a fair amount, or many meters with short occasional listening.

In their words, in the June, 2018 bulletin:

"In our local services, we will report estimates for any eligible station or combo whose unrounded AQH rating is .1 or greater in the Metro. As a benefit to subscribers, we will also report estimates for any subscribing station that received listening credit but that did not meet the minimum reporting standard"

In the new Minimum Reporting Standards, a subscribed station that gets enough listening by a single listener will qualify a station for "making the book" and garner a 0.1 share.

(Emphasis in the quote mine.)

So, if I understand correctly, one meter detecting a subscriber's HD 2+ for "enough" of a duration will show as a .1 share. Seems like an unrealistically low standard and an invitation for corruption.

I see also that Nielsen is having issues listing subscribers in some shadow markets this time out, per Tom Taylor. It might be wise to take this data with a large grain of salt until the anomalies are ironed out and the new rules for inclusion digested. It doesn't appear that HD-only listening has actually increased much, if at all.

Last edited:
(Emphasis in the quote mine.)

So, if I understand correctly, one meter detecting a subscriber's HD 2+ for "enough" of a duration will show as a .1 share. Seems like an unrealistically low standard and an invitation for corruption.

I see also that Nielsen is having issues listing subscribers in some shadow markets this time out, per Tom Taylor. It might be wise to take this data with a large grain of salt until the anomalies are ironed out and the new rules for inclusion digested. It doesn't appear that HD-only listening has actually increased much, if at all.

How big is the sample size for Philadelphia compared to the 4.2 million total population of the Philadelphia metro? If only a couple of hundred people have the meters, multiplying proportionally would give the station 21,000 listeners. That seems a reasonable number of HD-only listeners to me, so few proportionally that the pathetic "I don't know anyone who .." pseudo-logic often employed by HD detractors is exposed as a fraud yet again.

Nearly all the -HD stations that show in Nielsen are attached to an FM translator. Nearly all the listening is to the translator.

I'm not aware that either of the HD stations that were in the book feed translators. Maybe someone else can confirm.

• WOGL higher than I can remember and WBEB (while still doing great) lower than I can remember. I suppose that's at least a little bit interesting.
  • Whatever the heck happened to WDAS-FM last month is over and done with.
  • WXTU continues climbing (shame Entercom can't launch a competing Country station--LOL).
  • Something ain't right at WMMR.
  • 1210 WPHT up half-a-point (guess they're not changing formats--haha)!
  • Where are Q102's listeners going?

• WOGL higher than I can remember and WBEB (while still doing great) lower than I can remember. I suppose that's at least a little bit interesting.
  • Whatever the heck happened to WDAS-FM last month is over and done with.
  • WXTU continues climbing (shame Entercom can't launch a competing Country station--LOL).
  • Something ain't right at WMMR.
  • Where are Q102's listeners going?

I've seen both WOGL and WBEB around their current numbers. I'd be pleased with WOGL, and not worried at all with WBEB.
WDAS also keeping it within their general range. (They were lower with a 5.5 in Feb.)
XTU just keeps chugging along nicely. Some down books, some great books like this.
Some of WMMR's previous books were 5.6's and 5.5's. Nothing to worry about yet. Plus I think a P&S vacation was thrown in that book too. (August will have some P&S Vacation time too)
Election season is coming... maybe that's helping WPHT a bit with their boost?
Q102's listeners don't seem to be going to WTDY, and I doubt that stations like WPST or WSTW are siphoning enough off from the fringes. I'd be a touch worried there. But they seem to bill pretty well.

My only question is with WHYY pushing down a little more... I don't remember what usual summer books look like for them... do they have a history of trending down during the summer while people are away/off their daily routine?

Oh, and what is up with WPPZ? Didn't they get some pretty decent numbers when they were on the 103.9 stick? Not saying the frequency change is to blame, but a 0.9 is a shame.

Its a joke that this crapheap of a radio station is still around . this make me not wanting to listen to radio in this region anymore . Everyone knows 1210's horrible expect the folks that run the station and its a shame. I urge everyone , do not listen to 1210 am. Their ratings do not need to go up. That's all I have to say about this radio station

I'm not aware that either of the HD stations that were in the book feed translators. Maybe someone else can confirm.

You are right... neither the WRFF nor the WUSL HD-2 signals that showed in the July book have translators.

The reason they showed is the new (as of June) Nielsen policy that the minimum retorting standard for subscribers is one incident as per:

"As a benefit to subscribers, we will also report estimates for any subscribing station that received listening credit but that did not meet the minimum reporting standard."

So these stations may have just gotten one incident of listening by one panelist, but they are listed because they are subscribed.

Its a joke that this crapheap of a radio station is still around . this make me not wanting to listen to radio in this region anymore . Everyone knows 1210's horrible expect the folks that run the station and its a shame. I urge everyone , do not listen to 1210 am. Their ratings do not need to go up. That's all I have to say about this radio station

I could have sworn you’ve said essentially the same thing roughly a kajillion times before.

The people that run 1210 are delivering what a good number of people want. As many people as want what WOGL does? As many as want what More FM does? Heck, as many as want what Ben FM does? No, no and no. But there are a good number of conservative people in the listening area and some of them are quite happy with a conservative talk outlet.

Your “urging” is, to be honest, meaningless. And if WPHT’s ratings have an impact on your listening, you may want to look into getting some help with that.

You are right... neither the WRFF nor the WUSL HD-2 signals that showed in the July book have translators.

The reason they showed is the new (as of June) Nielsen policy that the minimum retorting standard for subscribers is one incident as per:

"As a benefit to subscribers, we will also report estimates for any subscribing station that received listening credit but that did not meet the minimum reporting standard."

So these stations may have just gotten one incident of listening by one panelist, but they are listed because they are subscribed.

Is there any way to distinguish between these new "participation trophy" 0.1s and the 0.1s that used to be earned by having multiple panelists actually listen to the station?

Actually, now that I look at the cume numbers, I do have a question or two:

Stations like WWZY, WKMK etc. from Monmouth show up with minimal cume, but don't get the "participation" 0.1 share. So are we safe to assume that some stations can still pull a 0.0 if the share is small enough?

Also, some AM/HD simulcasts are split? WOGL-HD3 shows with a cume of 400, and that's separate from WPHT-AM. So approximately 400 people listened to 1210 on 98.1-HD3?

Which leads me to my next question... KYW on WIP-HD2 doesn't show up at all? WYSP on WIP-HD3 is there. Hell, even "TalkPhilly" radio on WTDY-HD3 is there too. Kind of surprised not a showing for KYW on WIP-HD3.

Great book for WOGL! The music changes must be helping.

Is there any way to distinguish between these new "participation trophy" 0.1s and the 0.1s that used to be earned by having multiple panelists actually listen to the station?

Not that I know of.

Actually, now that I look at the cume numbers, I do have a question or two:

Stations like WWZY, WKMK etc. from Monmouth show up with minimal cume, but don't get the "participation" 0.1 share. So are we safe to assume that some stations can still pull a 0.0 if the share is small enough?

Also, some AM/HD simulcasts are split? WOGL-HD3 shows with a cume of 400, and that's separate from WPHT-AM. So approximately 400 people listened to 1210 on 98.1-HD3?

Which leads me to my next question... KYW on WIP-HD2 doesn't show up at all? WYSP on WIP-HD3 is there. Hell, even "TalkPhilly" radio on WTDY-HD3 is there too. Kind of surprised not a showing for KYW on WIP-HD3.

100% simulcasts on streams or other frequencies can be, at the subscriber's option, combined in Total Line Reporting, where one number includes all the listening.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom