U.S. AM Radio Station Heard Coast To Coast

Thread: U.S. AM Radio Station Heard Coast To Coast

U.S. AM Radio Station Heard Coast To Coast

Just wondering if there is now a U.S. AM radio station that can be heard from coast to coast? This would be a station whose signal comes off of the tower and can be heard directly (without satellite or relays of any kind) directly to a standard radio in a state or states on the Atlantic Coast and the Pacific Coast. Back in the 1960's WGN 720-AM in Chicago ran an add in Broadcasting magazine claiming that station could be heard "from the Tappan Zee (a bridge north of New York City) to the Pacific sea". I don't think it's signal does now, but is there another U.S. AM station that does?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
    Just wondering if there is now a U.S. AM radio station that can be heard from coast to coast? This would be a station whose signal comes off of the tower and can be heard directly (without satellite or relays of any kind) directly to a standard radio in a state or states on the Atlantic Coast and the Pacific Coast. Back in the 1960's WGN 720-AM in Chicago ran an add in Broadcasting magazine claiming that station could be heard "from the Tappan Zee (a bridge north of New York City) to the Pacific sea". I don't think it's signal does now, but is there another U.S. AM station that does?
    40 years ago, before every AM station had a nighttime signal, I could pick up several stations on the eastern seaboard from my house in Portland Oregon. It was just a matter of waiting for any other stations to be out of the way first. I imagine that prior to the 1960s, when several clear channels added an additional primary station, it would've been quite easy. Even without that advantage, WOAI is pretty centrally located and up until recently should've been a fairly easy catch.

Quote Originally Posted by semoochie View Post

Even without that advantage, WOAI is pretty centrally located and up until recently should've been a fairly easy catch.
    I think when Herb Jepco did his overnight show...he was originally on KSL Salt Lake....and WHAS Louisville. Ity coverred a good deal of the continent.

KSL = http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-...p_1160KHz.html

WHAS = http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-...ap_840KHz.html

Add WBZ to that plan, and it would cover almost the whole US, no?

http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-...p_1030KHz.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    I think when Herb Jepco did his overnight show...he was originally on KSL Salt Lake....and WHAS Louisville.
    I haven't heard Herb Jepko's name since the last millennium! I recall hearing him on KSL, but not on WHAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    Add WBZ to that plan, and it would cover almost the whole US, no?
    Indeed. Of course, there was a time when WBZ's powerful directional signal could be heard on the West Coast. KTWO et alia changed all that.
    Plugged into the electric radio

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    I haven't heard Herb Jepko's name since the last millennium! I recall hearing him on KSL, but not on WHAS.
    "Herb joined radio station KSL first doing mid-days, and then in April 1963, becoming the station's morning show disc jockey, a shift he held throughout the rest of 1963. Despite being in a very visible shift, Herb was puzzled that KSL signed off at midnight, even though it was a 50,000-watt clear channel station whose booming signal reached most of the western half of North America. On November 4, 1975,[1] the show was picked up by the Mutual Broadcasting System and became the first nationally syndicated call-in talk program. One of the stations that carried it via Mutual, WHAS in Louisville, was a 50,000-watt "flamethrower" like KSL. The two stations' combined power brought Nitecaps to nearly all of North America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Jepko