• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

95.5 Move Into Atlanta

RoddyFreeman

Walk of Fame Participant
About 6 weeks ago I heard from a reliable source that the 95.5 move into town would happen between July 15 and August 15. Does anyone know the status of this?

I am hoping that the improved signal will allow the processing to be a little more gentle. It has always seemed to me the the processing on 95.5 has been set to punch through the static. It makes my ears tired after awhile.

I have been told that when a male gets older the “top end” above 6K and higher frequencies hearing starts to go away. I remember my dad sometimes would have the treble a bit much for my tastes. Could WSB be setting up their audio chain for “older men.” Or is Cox just using the 750AM audio feed? I remember “pushing” the higher frequency on the graphic equalizer before the AGC that seemed to “balance” the lower frequencies somewhat on an old Harris MW1. I have never dealt with a DPM transmitter which I assume 750 has.

You mean PDM (Pulse Duration Modulation). But, I thought they had solid state Continentals which are Doherty. Don't know for sure.
750 has ALWAYS sounded that way and I thought it was due to the phone line STL.

Sorry about the PDM. Sometimes the fingers are faster than the brain. IIRC they had a microwave STL at one time or at least the antennas. I haven't been over their in years.

IMHO microwave STLs are the best STLs if you have a good line of site shot.. You don't have to pay the phone company, wait for the phone repair guy to show up when there is a problem. You don't have to pay for an internet service at the tower site either. .

This will show my age... they probably had a 15kc (yes, kc) equalized phone line for a backup and the STL as the main. Remember, the 750 plant was originally designed to play music. And yes, analog STLs that had good line of site always seemed to provide a richer sound. If there had to be a relay in the microwave chain, then not so good.

IIRC 750 was an "input" station on the old EBS system so they should have had a back up STL. They most likely either had an emergency basement studio at the old White Columns Building or a studio at the transmitter site too.

This will show my age... they probably had a 15kc (yes, kc) equalized phone line for a backup and the STL as the main. Remember, the 750 plant was originally designed to play music. And yes, analog STLs that had good line of site always seemed to provide a richer sound. If there had to be a relay in the microwave chain, then not so good.

It has been my experience that a relay microwave system works just as well as a single shot system if set up correctly. I have worked at a station that send composite FM thru a two hop analogue system. Of course this was before HD. The only problem was a couple of mornings every spring and fall there was "sun fade" when the sun rose exactly in line behind the relay tower in the path between the relay tower and the transmitter.

IIRC 750 was an "input" station on the old EBS system so they should have had a back up STL. They most likely either had an emergency basement studio at the old White Columns Building or a studio at the transmitter site too.

IIRC the old Northlake transmitter shack was pretty darn big. I think it was replaced when they built the shopping center, but the new one is still pretty big.

IIRC the old Northlake transmitter shack was pretty darn big. I think it was replaced when they built the shopping center, but the new one is still pretty big.

The transmitter building is very large. It has a basement and a bunker/fallout shelter.

Back to the original topic
Anybody know when the new in town transmitter plant will go live?

Well, it's not going to be as soon as I'd been told. I spoke with a Cox Radio engineer, and he estimates it will be 4th quarter of 2018 or 1st quarter of 2019.

Correction to my earlier post

They have Harris 3dx50 transmitters. They have a digital exciter but, as I understand it, are not PDM.
With the type of ca$h flow they have, I'm surprised they don't have an ISDN line for their STL.
The problem with ISDN is that you can't hear it with a clip-on phone. So the phone guys on the poles and in the holes don't know if its an active pair or not!

Well, it's not going to be as soon as I'd been told. I spoke with a Cox Radio engineer, and he estimates it will be 4th quarter of 2018 or 1st quarter of 2019.

Does this have anything to do with the TV repack?

I doubt it. There's no TV on the New Street tower. WPBA was at the top before the digital conversion but has their own tower now.

The TV repack may indeed be the issue because of scheduling problems with tower crews and antennae manufacturers. Even Cox may have to "wait their turn" because these guys are all slammed right now.
95.5 will also be directional and Cox Engineering may be ordering a panel style antenna so as to maximize signal in all of the pattern. These take more time to fabricate and also require time on the test range.

They have Harris 3dx50 transmitters. They have a digital exciter but, as I understand it, are not PDM.
With the type of ca$h flow they have, I'm surprised they don't have an ISDN line for their STL.
The problem with ISDN is that you can't hear it with a clip-on phone. So the phone guys on the poles and in the holes don't know if its an active pair or not!

IIRC ISDN is not free. it is really good for a host who has studio at home because the digital delay issue is better than a lot of the tunneling protocols. Unless there is something that blocks the path microwave STL's are remarkably stable even in a thunderstorm. One would thing they would have a dial up phone circuit as a dire emergency back up if something (one) messes with the microwave STL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom