95.5 Move Into Atlanta - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 95.5 Move Into Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by jabba17 View Post
    IIRC the old Northlake transmitter shack was pretty darn big. I think it was replaced when they built the shopping center, but the new one is still pretty big.
    The transmitter building is very large. It has a basement and a bunker/fallout shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryATL View Post
    Back to the original topic
    Anybody know when the new in town transmitter plant will go live?
    Well, it's not going to be as soon as I'd been told. I spoke with a Cox Radio engineer, and he estimates it will be 4th quarter of 2018 or 1st quarter of 2019.

I wonder what impact 95.5's new signal will have on WATG 95.7 The Ridge. Their tower is located on Taylors ridge just north of Rome.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pa...e%2C%20Georgia

Here is the FCC’s coverage map:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/map-...060501AOE&.map

I can only guess that the “notch” to the Northwest is for the Rome Station. On paper there is no interference. The 60 db coverage or WATG should not be affected.

Correction to my earlier post

They have Harris 3dx50 transmitters. They have a digital exciter but, as I understand it, are not PDM.
    With the type of ca$h flow they have, I'm surprised they don't have an ISDN line for their STL.
    The problem with ISDN is that you can't hear it with a clip-on phone. So the phone guys on the poles and in the holes don't know if its an active pair or not!

Quote Originally Posted by RoddyFreeman View Post
    Well, it's not going to be as soon as I'd been told. I spoke with a Cox Radio engineer, and he estimates it will be 4th quarter of 2018 or 1st quarter of 2019.
    Does this have anything to do with the TV repack?
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

Quote Originally Posted by jabba17 View Post
    Does this have anything to do with the TV repack?
    I doubt it. There's no TV on the New Street tower. WPBA was at the top before the digital conversion but has their own tower now.

Quote Originally Posted by RoddyFreeman View Post
    I doubt it. There's no TV on the New Street tower. WPBA was at the top before the digital conversion but has their own tower now.
    The TV repack may indeed be the issue because of scheduling problems with tower crews and antennae manufacturers. Even Cox may have to "wait their turn" because these guys are all slammed right now.
    95.5 will also be directional and Cox Engineering may be ordering a panel style antenna so as to maximize signal in all of the pattern. These take more time to fabricate and also require time on the test range.

Quote Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
    They have Harris 3dx50 transmitters. They have a digital exciter but, as I understand it, are not PDM.
    With the type of ca$h flow they have, I'm surprised they don't have an ISDN line for their STL.
    The problem with ISDN is that you can't hear it with a clip-on phone. So the phone guys on the poles and in the holes don't know if its an active pair or not!
    IIRC ISDN is not free. it is really good for a host who has studio at home because the digital delay issue is better than a lot of the tunneling protocols. Unless there is something that blocks the path microwave STL's are remarkably stable even in a thunderstorm. One would thing they would have a dial up phone circuit as a dire emergency back up if something (one) messes with the microwave STL

Quote Originally Posted by secondchoice View Post
    IIRC ISDN is not free.
    That's an understatement. It's extremely expensive, and you should be aware that AT&T is looking to discontinue it. They're pricing it so customers will find an alternative.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast