Rick Dees lands afternoons at KQLH - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Rick Dees lands afternoons at KQLH

Many fond memories of listening to XERB from " Grrrrrosalito, Baja California!" (AKA: Rosarito, Baja California!)
    Last edited by TeaPartyDude; 08-07-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    I lived in Noo Yawk in the late 60's and disliked him way back then. Thank goodness for WOR-FM!
    Haha Landtuna I NEVER like Cousin Brucie, just wasn't my cup of tea, he was wayyyy overboard in his delivery

Quote Originally Posted by TeaPartyDude View Post
    Many fond memories of listening to XERB from " Grrrrrosalito, Baja California!" (AKA: Rosarito, Baja California!)
    Call me a radio nerd, but I loved the station ID for the post - Wolfman 1090 - "Equuis- Eh-Pay-Ehrrray-Esseh, Rrrrrosarrrrita, Baja California" ,<jingle> "Ten-ninety, Soul Express."

KQLH has never gotten this much attention! (So I guess it worked!)

As for local content, it would depend on the market you listened to. Obviously, bigger markets had more of this. My teen market was Seattle, and it was totally local and that did make it special back in the day, but I don't know if it makes much difference today. This is a serious example of how the medium has changed in both content and importance.

Jocks choosing their own music? Very rare after the payola days. But some jocks were considered so important that this practice did continue at some very limited stations well into the 80's, and perhaps even today. When I was a radio PD, this was indeed the biggest no-no and definitely a fireable offense for the simple reason the PD won't accept being fired for losing institutional control of his/her jocks.

Tom Taylor reports today some news about the Rick Dees programs:

"Rick Dees programs such as his “Weekly Top 40 Countdown” will be produced by L.A.-based Benztown, in a new arrangement that covers a stable of syndicated shows."

That likely includes his daily formats, one of which airs on KQLH.

More here: https://www.benztown.com/news/rick-d...enztown-family

I lived in Noo Yawk in the late 60's and disliked him way back then. Thank goodness for WOR-FM!
    In the mid '60s, weren't B. Mitchel Reed's ratings (on WMCA) higher than Cousin Brucie's?
    Plugged into the electric radio

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    In the mid '60s, weren't B. Mitchel Reed's ratings (on WMCA) higher than Cousin Brucie's?
    Before my time. I moved to NYC in the Fall of 1969. Don't ever remember listening to WMCA.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Before my time. I moved to NYC in the Fall of 1969. Don't ever remember listening to WMCA.
    WMCA switched to an all-talk format shortly after your arrival.

(My apologies to those who concern themselves with such matters as remaining on topic.)
    Plugged into the electric radio

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567