• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rick Dees lands afternoons at KQLH

Many fond memories of listening to XERB from " Grrrrrosalito, Baja California!" (AKA: Rosarito, Baja California!)

Last edited:
Many fond memories of listening to XERB from " Grrrrrosalito, Baja California!" (AKA: Rosarito, Baja California!)

Call me a radio nerd, but I loved the station ID for the post - Wolfman 1090 - "Equuis- Eh-Pay-Ehrrray-Esseh, Rrrrrosarrrrita, Baja California" ,<jingle> "Ten-ninety, Soul Express."

KQLH has never gotten this much attention! (So I guess it worked!)

As for local content, it would depend on the market you listened to. Obviously, bigger markets had more of this. My teen market was Seattle, and it was totally local and that did make it special back in the day, but I don't know if it makes much difference today. This is a serious example of how the medium has changed in both content and importance.

Jocks choosing their own music? Very rare after the payola days. But some jocks were considered so important that this practice did continue at some very limited stations well into the 80's, and perhaps even today. When I was a radio PD, this was indeed the biggest no-no and definitely a fireable offense for the simple reason the PD won't accept being fired for losing institutional control of his/her jocks.

Before my time. I moved to NYC in the Fall of 1969. Don't ever remember listening to WMCA.

WMCA switched to an all-talk format shortly after your arrival.

(My apologies to those who concern themselves with such matters as remaining on topic.)

In the mid '60s, weren't B. Mitchel Reed's ratings (on WMCA) higher than Cousin Brucie's?

Here's what I remember, BMR was only on the air in NYC a brief time maybe 1 or 2 years. I doubt he got higher ratings due to the signal strength and coverage area difference between WABC and WMCA.

Here's what I remember, BMR was only on the air in NYC a brief time maybe 1 or 2 years. I doubt he got higher ratings due to the signal strength and coverage area difference between WABC and WMCA.

According to Wikipedia, you are correct. BMR left KFWB and returned to his home state of New York in February 1963, and was a WMCA "Good Guy" then returned to Color Radio in March 1965. So only 2 years, but he was at WMCA for the initial stages of Beatlemania and the British Invasion, so that's probably why his stint there seems so influential to NYC baby boomers. After his return to LA, it wasn't long, of course, until he discovered what Tom Donahue was doing in San Francisco, and headed for the FM dial.

IIRC, while in his last stint at KFWB...or maybe it was later at KPPC and KMET, he would refer to himself as "The World's Oldest Hippie"...though he was only about 40.

According to Wikipedia, you are correct. BMR left KFWB and returned to his home state of New York in February 1963, and was a WMCA "Good Guy" then returned to Color Radio in March 1965. So only 2 years, but he was at WMCA for the initial stages of Beatlemania and the British Invasion, so that's probably why his stint there seems so influential to NYC baby boomers. After his return to LA, it wasn't long, of course, until he discovered what Tom Donahue was doing in San Francisco, and headed for the FM dial.

IIRC, while in his last stint at KFWB...or maybe it was later at KPPC and KMET, he would refer to himself as "The World's Oldest Hippie"...though he was only about 40.

"I hope I die before I get old (talkin' 'bout my generation)"

We love having Rick Dees in the afternoons at KQLH 92.5 FM! I gotta tell you he has rocked our world, all I hear is Rick Dees? Really? The real Rick Dees? Where is our studio, and is he there? And can we meet him. Of course we are not going to tell the local paper: "No, he is not live. it's all just recorded.."

The show is timely, daily, up to date and fresh everyday. On KQLH, he proves he is very much relevant, and a total pro. The best! Our listeners love the music on our station, and they love Rick Dees...We hear that every day.. We are the little station that could and a prime example of how community LPFM is helping to save radio from the internet by keeping people involved and interacting with the dial. We are proud of our sound with our Nautel Transmitter, Orban Processor, and Audio Arts by Wheatstone Board, all beamed out from our hilltop below Mount San Bernardino via two ERI 100 antenna sections.. Do like Dees did...Stop by and play a round of gold nearby in Yucaipa and enjoy our station. You will fall in love with it. Nothing says an LPFM can't sound as good as the big stations..

However, the stated purpose of LPFM is to provide hyper-local community service programming, not carrying a nationally syndicated show.

providing 24/7 (or even 12/5) of original local community service programming would be incredibly expensive for most LPFM permit holders, and how could they monetize such programming anyway? I really don't think the idea was to go back to local farm reports for the good farming people of Ottumwa, IA. (Hey, maybe Radar will still do that for free if he has nothing better to do).

providing 24/7 (or even 12/5) of original local community service programming would be incredibly expensive for most LPFM permit holders, and how could they monetize such programming anyway?

No one promised owning a radio station would be cheap or easy. They are supposed to be non-profit.

Most of the LPFM's that run religious programming run a national feed. Many dont' even have studio.

Not sure if that's legal either.

But if you do listen to the station, you will hear live programming.. ala moi in the mornings... in the studio, local and live.

Sat and Sun nights are live also.

And just like every other jock in the world, I get to do this for $1.75 an hour LOL (actually, I'm doing it for the love of radio, I have a day job).

We put the station back on the air Memorial day weekend and I'm amazed at the comments we get. I get about 20 calls every morning. It's nice to be back.

And no, I'm not the greatest jock in the world, just a dork engineer that loves radio.

Rick

No one promised owning a radio station would be cheap or easy. They are supposed to be non-profit.

You do realize of course that "non-profit" is nothing more than a tax status. There is nothing that says non-profits cannot make lots of money, in fact non-profits that don't consistently make money ultimately fall into another more commonly understood category called "non-existent". On the other hand, these LP FMs are so LP as to cap any real chance of making any money. I would assume that most of these license holders do it as a labor of love. In these cases when either the love or money runs out, so does the organization.

I can share a couple of things about LPFM stations: you don't have to have a studio and the rules are a bit more relaxed than for full power. Just like any other class of station, commercial,non-commercial, full power and LPFM, the objective is to serve the community' needs and wants through a radio signal. A syndicated show is just as 'okay' as a local show if the community wants it. That applies to every class of station.

Non-profit versus for profit is more about what an organization does with it's income. It has less to do with the product offered on the airwaves. Sure,it is a tightly defined style of advertising termed Underwriting versus the unrestricted content commercial but in reality, Underwriting is no less advertising than the commercial on for-profit radio.

Smart non-profit stations are much like their commercial counterpart.They target an audience, cater to them with programming that builds a decent listener base and then monetizes that listener base to produce operational income with surplus for upgrades, emergencies, etc. Generally speaking, a non-profit's mission is akin to a defined plan a commercial station might utilize to reach their targeted audience. The real difference is some non-profits truly use radio as a support for a mission that is not purely radio driven..

Many LPFMs are personal jukeboxes for their board and thus hobby stations. Some are extensions of ministries. Typically the more successful serve their community with a format and information that attracts listeners and support. Some function sort of like the small town 1960s or 1970s AM where they are the only station serving a rural county. LPFMs can and do reach the $200,000 mark in annual income. Some generate zero dollars.Many generate about $1,000 to $5,000 a year...way too many. Most of these are run by folks that hate selling or simply don't have a clue about how to gain financial support. Some LPFMs are so anti-radio simply because they truly believe radio intentionally programs itself with programming people do not want to hear but somehow milk every possible ad dollar out of the market. Most of these stations struggle and eventually the board implodes. A select few find enough 'believers' and do just fine (location, location, location). Many LPFMs are headed and operated by DJs who were or are still employed as jocks in radio.

As for where the money comes from, mostly it is the support of small businesses that can spend such a small dollar amount it is too small for a meaningful campaign with any of the other media choices. Simply put salespeople at other media ignore these businesses because they can make more commission for the same amount of work selling a larger business. In that respect, the LPFM is frequently the only option affordable to small businesses to increase awareness.

The most successful LPFM stations tend to be in small markets especially where their commercial counterparts have less local presence or focus on larger nearby towns instead of the town the LPFM set up shop. Some thrive in towns too small to support a Class A FM, for example.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom