Rick Dees lands afternoons at KQLH - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Rick Dees lands afternoons at KQLH

Quote Originally Posted by michael hagerty View Post
    KRTH and WROR were the ones that always amazed me. "Leave the AM alone, put an automated or live-assist AC format on the FM and we'll have a one-two sales punch." No, what you'll have is a station playing 80 percent of your playlist with fewer commercials and less talk on FM that will cannibalize your 18-49 females. I believe Bill Drake would have seen that and chosen another path.
    When WNAC became WRKO in spring 1967, WRKO-FM was doing an automated Top 40 format (featuring the voice of "Arko, the shy but friendly robot" and the week's No. 1 and No. 2 hits alternating at the tops of every hour). What I'm fuzzy on these many years later -- mainly because I was only 12 when all this happened -- is when the automation stopped on FM and the "chicken rock" took over, and when the call was changed to WROR. I know WROR eventually shifted to oldies, but that wasn't until the '70s, right? So was WROR cannibalizing WRKO almost from the outset, during the Drake years?

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    When WNAC became WRKO in spring 1967, WRKO-FM was doing an automated Top 40 format (featuring the voice of "Arko, the shy but friendly robot" and the week's No. 1 and No. 2 hits alternating at the tops of every hour). What I'm fuzzy on these many years later -- mainly because I was only 12 when all this happened -- is when the automation stopped on FM and the "chicken rock" took over, and when the call was changed to WROR. I know WROR eventually shifted to oldies, but that wasn't until the '70s, right? So was WROR cannibalizing WRKO almost from the outset, during the Drake years?
    CTListener: No, for the same reason KHJ-FM wasn't. FM listening hadn't hit those levels yet. But when they came out of oldies and back to contemporary music, there was a sizeable and growing FM audience. And that's when you had cannabalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickw4pc View Post
    I am.
    Hey its Rick Dees everyone! Loved your Liz Fulton parody on Wally George's Hot Seat, bit you on the hiney for a reported Multi Million dollar settlement. Those that haven't seen it forward to 7:45 on this broadcast:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9A7EdC3sGw

Quote Originally Posted by Rickw4pc View Post
    I am.
    Good answer. Thanks!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011