• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What more creative task in Boston radio would you take on if given a chance?

thezak

Frequent Participant
For kind folks out there with less acknowledged standard radio jobs in Boston Radio what more creative task in Boston radio would you take on if given a chance?

I'd like to see a station go head to head with either Mix 104.1 or Magic 106.7.

Sure, why not? Add yet another station to the "mix" playing "today's hot hits". I'm sure listeners are writing to station management as we speak to request more of the same ol', same ol'. (Oh, wait, I need not worry: station management does not care what its listeners want to hear.)

All my ideas wouldn't be financially sound. Basically, they all surround my perception of FM radio being mainly current hits (whether its Top 40 or Hot AC), country, and talk (political or sports). So, I'd eliminate most of the repeats.

Bring in more experimental formats. Have a true Rap station like the old WBOT and WILD. Bring back Radio Mojo and put it on a main frequency. Move the Red Sox over to The Sports Hub and flip WEEI to a true FM Spanish format. Heck, its city of license is Lawrence.
Keep Toucher & Rich in the morning, and put Dale Arnald and whoever in the afternoon. I hate WEEI's morning show and WBZ-FM's afternoon show. Bring WBZ-AM to FM. Have more experimental Alternative on WBOS that would be similar to Indie 617. Flip either Mix or Amp to a modern version of plastic hits (90s and 2000s).

In essence, keep Magic (even though I don't listen), WZLX, WBOzd either Kiss or Amp, either The Bull or WKLB, either WEEI or WBZ-FM, and either Hot 96.9 or Jamin. Then flip the rest to something unique. Again, the reason that many stations program with the current formats is because those formats is what brings in money.

Having all teams on one station would mean games at same time conflicts.Red Sox games chew up a lot of time when pre and post games are included. Beasley already has conflicts with C's, B's, Pats and 'what station is the game on?' would be a huge question.Already happens.

WEEI's morning show and Red Sox games bring a lot of money to Entercom even if people hate them.

93.7's COL is Lawrence but the stick is in Peabody.Not as close to Boston as some would like but much more 'Boston' than 'Merrimack Valley'.

All my ideas wouldn't be financially sound. Basically, they all surround my perception of FM radio being mainly current hits (whether its Top 40 or Hot AC), country, and talk (political or sports). So, I'd eliminate most of the repeats.

The reason there are multiple stations with the same formats is because of competition. If one company owned all radio stations, they would never have multiple stations in the same format. That's why Sirius has no real duplication, and they have a lot of experimentation.

The other factor is advertising. The source of revenue for these stations is advertising, and advertisers want to reach the largest number of people. So that kills any experimentation. Non-commercial stations are more likely to experiment, but that requires listeners to support the station financially, or else it goes away.

As heard passing the lips of "Ole Man Rea over the airwaves last night offhandedly,...." my producer NANCY SHACK handed me this story today!"....
She goes from Roasting Hacks to a "show" where the Hacks are massaged by that Hibernian Gladhander's show where a discouraging word is never heard to get on the air from callers when some HiHowAreYa pol is a guest!.

"Makes Ya Want Ta Throw Up On TV!"
Dapper

Oh that's right Chris Citirek left 'BZ right? Would think she won't get a chance to talk on air but who knows, fill ins?

The reason there are multiple stations with the same formats is because of competition. If one company owned all radio stations, they would never have multiple stations in the same format. That's why Sirius has no real duplication, and they have a lot of experimentation.

The other factor is advertising. The source of revenue for these stations is advertising, and advertisers want to reach the largest number of people. So that kills any experimentation. Non-commercial stations are more likely to experiment, but that requires listeners to support the station financially, or else it goes away.

I don't argue any of what you said. The premise was what would I do. That's what I would do, but as I said, I'm well aware that my ideas would fail financially. I just would like to see more actual variety on the FM band than the stations that claim to have a variety.

I just would like to see more actual variety on the FM band than the stations that claim to have a variety.

And my suggestion is you likely get that variety on stations like WERS and WUMB, non commercial stations that don't have to appeal to advertisers.

Start the trend (originated in DC as a test) for all digital on AM. The last chance to save the band.

Start the trend (originated in DC as a test) for all digital on AM. The last chance to save the band.

Maybe someone at MIT or one of the colleges could invent digital AM that could be received on standard AM radios. That would save the band.

And my suggestion is you likely get that variety on stations like WERS and WUMB, non commercial stations that don't have to appeal to advertisers.

The problem is that college stations generally program esoteric genres. Many listeners who like current mainstream hits -- pop, AC, country or rhythmic -- or mainstream classic rock and classic hits don't want to hear jazz or Americana or punk rock. They want to hear a deeper selection of the mainstream music they love, beyond the 400-800 songs on their local FMs' playlists. Satellite used to provide that, but the playlists on its mainstream genre channels have been atrophying since the less adventurous Sirius bought out the more adventurous XM years ago. College/public radio station programmers aren't interested in providing that sort of programming. It's beneath them; they'd be accused of "selling out."

Software-defined radio (SDR) is a radio communication system where components that have been traditionally implemented in hardware (e.g. mixers, filters, amplifiers, modulators/demodulators, detectors, etc.) are instead implemented by means of software on a personal computer or embedded system.[1] While the concept of SDR is not new, the rapidly evolving capabilities of digital electronics render practical many processes which used to be only theoretically possible https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software-defined_radio

They want to hear a deeper selection of the mainstream music they love, beyond the 400-800 songs on their local FMs' playlists.

That's what personal devices are for. I've always described FM radio as a "free sample." You get a taste of a wide range of stuff. If you hear something you like, you have access to the complete works on your own time using your own device. But radio is a mass medium, and mass media isn't meant as a replacement for personal devices. I think most people understand that, because when I go to concerts, the audience is aware of that artist's complete discography. Although they respond the loudest to the radio hits. When I ask fans how they first found out about the headline artist, they tell me FM radio.

Don't know.,......guess we'll have to watch for "the jumping whale!" :eek:
......"strolling along

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom