Does KHKS (Kiss FM) play uncensored music sometimes? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does KHKS (Kiss FM) play uncensored music sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post
    It is never legal to say the "7 dirty words", but during the safe harbor hours it is less likely to draw a fine.
    Unless this has changed in the last few years, there are no forbidden words, only forbidden contexts. Having said that, I wouldn’t advocate dropping a few f-bombs for the fun of it.

And, yes, the Panic! at the Disco song is free of the so-called 7 dirty words.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Unless this has changed in the last few years, there are no forbidden words, only forbidden contexts.
    From George Carlin's entry in Wikipedia:

"The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the FCC action by a vote of 5 to 4, ruling that the routine was "indecent but not obscene" and that the FCC had authority to prohibit such broadcasts during hours when children were likely to be among the audience."

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bass View Post
    If it bothers you, then the best option is to report it to the FCC.

R
    It doesn't bother me that much, but kids could be listening and i don't want to see stations get pulled off the air because of profanity.

Quote Originally Posted by 97chris View Post
    i don't want to see stations get pulled off the air because of profanity.
    The worst that would happen would be a fine. Stations don't lose licenses for such things.

LOL I'll never forget the time I heard the unsensored version of NWA's "Straight Outta Compton" on this college FM station.
    http://archive.pdxradio.com/2009-14/topic/krrc-979-980

The station, in Portland Oregon, is now in the hands of someone else, on 91.1 FM and run very well.
    https://xray.fm/

Quote Originally Posted by jefffwd View Post
    Yep. Have heard a couple like that on ALT 103.7 "after hours". I think the first one I noticed was Panic! at the Disco. They were "closing the G** Damn door".
    "G** damn" has never been prohibited under FCC rules at any time of day -- in short, that isn't one of the "seven dirty words" and is considered neither obscene or indecent. Whether stations let that phrase on the air is probably a regional thing, and growing up in the Pacific Northwest (a not very religious part of the country) it wasn't considered a big deal. Most of the Seattle/Tacoma stations, for instance, had no trouble playing the uncensored version of "Life In The Fast Lane", which includes that phrase. On the other hand, more religious areas of the country saw CBS affiliates preempting "All In The Family" whenever Archie Bunker uttered that same phrase, even though it was the top-rated show on television for much of the seventies.

For some reason the Alternative station here in Philly alters the song by Panic at the Disco. They were "closing the G** Damn door, but yet they play.Harvey Danger, Flagpole Sitta with the line G** Damn You, keeping the word G** in. kinda weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    For some reason the Alternative station here in Philly alters the song by Panic at the Disco. They were "closing the G** Damn door, but yet they play.Harvey Danger, Flagpole Sitta with the line G** Damn You, keeping the word G** in. kinda weird.
    I think this might be one of those cases where a single utterance of the word/phrase is okay, but repeatedly saying it in the chorus isn't. Sometimes the "A" and "B" words are treated that way too. Although WNYL in NYC plays the P!ATD song completely uncensored, so I guess it's up to the individual stations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12