• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Maroon 5's Longevity

RoddyFreeman

Walk of Fame Participant
I listened to the iHeart Radio Countdown this morning, and Maroon 5's Girls Like You was #1.

Maroon 5 has been charting, in fact reaching the top, since around 2002 or 2003. It seems quite a feat to not just be performing but racking up huge hits for so many years.

Who else in recent years has an accomplishment like that?

Beyoncé comes to mind...her solo career began the same year.

Careers last longer in country. Kenny Chesney's first #1 was in the 90s, and he's #1 this week.

? Beyonce hasn't had a hit song in well over 5 years while Maroon 5 has had a dozen. The original commentator is correct, no one has come close to this kind of longevity in this century. To correct all the lies, pop radio has certainly tried its best to push new Beyonce product, but like Katy Perry they have tested extremely poorly. Even Taylor Swift had 3 very bad non hits on her current album until she finally scored with Delicate. Like anyone else with ears who heard the new album, I was very confused on why Delicate was not the lead single if not the follow up to the message song "look what you made me do".

I listened to the iHeart Radio Countdown this morning, and Maroon 5's Girls Like You was #1.

Maroon 5 has been charting, in fact reaching the top, since around 2002 or 2003. It seems quite a feat to not just be performing but racking up huge hits for so many years.

Who else in recent years has an accomplishment like that?

If you look at the current top 40, I agree Maroon 5 has had the most hits over a 16 year span. It’s quite amazing. Starting with “Harder to Breathe” to “Girls Like You.” A lot of these groups have a few good albums then fizzle out. However, if you look at longevity, Backstreet Boys have been around since 1995. They’re at #22 this week. They haven’t had as many hits as Maroon 5. No one comes close to these two of you look at the current top 40, Selena Gomez and the Scene started with “Who Says” in 2011. Ariana Grande started with Mack Miller on “The Way” in 2013. Zedd and Foxes started with “Clarity” in 2013. Taylor Swift’s “Tim McGraw” in 2006. Calvin Harris with “Feels So Close” in 2012. Foster the People started with “Pumped up Kicks” in 2011. Imagine Dragons started with “It’s Time” in 2013. Jennifer Lopez started with “If You Had My Love” in 1999. Enrique Inglesias started with “Bailamos” in 1999. Ed Sheeran with “Open your Ears” in 2006. Pitbull with Usher on “DJs Got Us Falling in Love” in 2010.

Then again, if you want to measure "careers", you have to look back to people like Paul McCartney who is still rocking after 55 years. Here's a list of the longest careers in pop music during the 20th century. It's a pretty long list, and minimum is 20 years:

http://tsort.info/music/faq_longest_careers.htm

A lot aren't all in the pop charts today, even though they're active in some way. I understand the OP was talking about still being in the pop chart.

Then again, if you want to measure "careers", you have to look back to people like Paul McCartney who is still rocking after 55 years. Here's a list of the longest careers in pop music during the 20th century. It's a pretty long list, and minimum is 20 years:

http://tsort.info/music/faq_longest_careers.htm

A lot aren't all in the pop charts today, even though they're active in some way. I understand the OP was talking about still being in the pop chart.

To your point, Macca had a top 5 hit in 2015 with FourFiveSeconds.

What about "Perfect" w/Ed Sheeran?
Most stations didn’t play that version, although one of my semi-local CHRs alternated between both versions. However, she collabed with J Balvin on “Mi Gente”. It looked like it was going to peak, and then the Beyoncé remix dropped, doubling its spins in the process. She is top 10 at rhythmic/urban now along with Jay Z with “Apeshit”, but her last mainstream hit was four years ago with “Drunk in Love” (which some CHRs are still occasionally playing).

Well maybe not quite the same, but first became a U2 convert after hearing New Year's Day on what must have been one of the last few AM Top40/pop stations back in '83. Just the other week I was in the car listening to Radio Disney with the young one in the car, I heard U2 and DJ Cheat Codes song.

Fairly impressive I'd say.

Well maybe not quite the same, but first became a U2 convert after hearing New Year's Day on what must have been one of the last few AM Top40/pop stations back in '83. Just the other week I was in the car listening to Radio Disney with the young one in the car, I heard U2 and DJ Cheat Codes song.

Fairly impressive I'd say.

As you say, it's a different situation, but U2 is an incredible band that's remained popular for 30 years. If I had to name my favorite album, The Joshua Tree would be a candidate. I still love that album.

? Beyonce hasn't had a hit song in well over 5 years while Maroon 5 has had a dozen. The original commentator is correct, no one has come close to this kind of longevity in this century. To correct all the lies, pop radio has certainly tried its best to push new Beyonce product, but like Katy Perry they have tested extremely poorly. Even Taylor Swift had 3 very bad non hits on her current album until she finally scored with Delicate. Like anyone else with ears who heard the new album, I was very confused on why Delicate was not the lead single if not the follow up to the message song "look what you made me do".

Beyonce, Perry, and Swift kind of went into a different musical direction. That hurt their performance on the charts. Swift went back to her pop formula and charted #1 with the latest single. when you are worth 100+ million dollars you can go in any music direction you want, but it doesn't translate to sale or airplay. Maroon5 has stayed the course, adjusted musically (without losing their signature sound), and their fans continue to support them.

Maroon5 has stayed the course, adjusted musically (without losing their signature sound), and their fans continue to support them.

Adam's visibility on a national TV show doesn't hurt. Blake has also benefited from the exposure on the country side. Blake's first #1 was in 1999. His latest was two months ago.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom