• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS Leader Les Moonves accused of Misconduct

I know there are a lot of comments about the multi-million dollar golden parachute, and that he should just get thrown out with nothing like the loser of a reality show. But for the most part, the accusations came before CBS, and in point of fact, he's really been a very successful leader, and helped make the company a ton of money. Don't forget he was the one who pushed for the sale of CBS Radio, and that brought in a lot of money. Compared to the other nets, he's done the best with the least. So it's one of those things where you just pay him off, and call it a day.

Yeah, and Hitler built the Autobahn too.

He doesn't deserve a penny! He is a serial sexual harasser who should be kicked out with NO COMPENSATION. To reward serial harassers is to enable future predators. They need to make an example of him and toss him to the wolves. Any money he is due should be held in escrow pending the adjudication of civil cases. Just because he made money doesn't give him license to assault others. PLEASE Stop your incessant support and defense of sexual harassers, pedophiles, and Rapist

You do have a very good point there. Regardless of whatever good that Moonves has ever accomplished throughout his time at CBS it's NOT I repeat it's NOT any valid excuse for the sexual misconduct that he is accused of even if it had actually happened before he came over to CBS. All forms of sexual harassment and misconduct regardless of when it had taken place is enough good cause to fire someone. In my upmost honest opinion Moonves does not deserve any severance pay at all so I do agree with your opinion as well.

Yeah, and Hitler built the Autobahn too.

If the alleged incidents happened before Moonves' association with CBS, it is not CBS's duty to act as part of the legal system. His removal from the CEO position was more to do with his inability to manage after the accusations as with what he may or may not have done prior to his employment. He was a successful manager for CBS, and his compensation from that private company is independent of what the legal system "decides" to do with him.

The lynch mob, tar-and-feather group mentality is not healthy. It's also a reflection of the worst of any society that wants to claim that it has rule of law.

BigA is not supporting or defending convicted criminals. He is defending the American principal of "innocent until proven guilty" that is one of the cornerstones of our nation.

In this case, there are accusations, but no formal charges. And even if charges are pressed, there has to be a trial or a plea bargain.

Until there is a guilty verdict, he's innocent.

Good point

BigA is not supporting or defending convicted criminals. He is defending the American principal of "innocent until proven guilty" that is one of the cornerstones of our nation.

In this case, there are accusations, but no formal charges. And even if charges are pressed, there has to be a trial or a plea bargain.

Until there is a guilty verdict, he's innocent.

The most detailed way to actually describe the principal in reality is "Considered innocent unless he or she could be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law" but the mentality of the public in regards to criminal acts that are sexual in nature is much different especially if the victims are underage (None of those who have accused Moonves fortunately are in that category) in those circumstances they see those accused of such acts like Moonves for example as guilty regardless of how the matter make it's way through the legal system.

in those circumstances they see those accused of such acts like Moonves for example as guilty regardless of how the matter make it's way through the legal system.

Which is why the company is seeking to release him from his employment contract. He is damaged goods and can't lead or represent any more. But the company can't act as judge and jury and punish him by refusing to pay him what the contract calls for.

Which is why the company is seeking to release him from his employment contract. He is damaged goods and can't lead or represent any more. But the company can't act as judge and jury and punish him by refusing to pay him what the contract calls for.

Given the accusations if Moonves had decided to stay in his position he would have likely saw himself getting fired eventually after the investigation ordered by CBS was finished. What CBS had decided in regards to the circumstances was to try to get Moonves to voluntarily step down and the exit package mentioned in various news articles was negotiated. Moonves realized that he would have been totally and completely screwed (The most subtle way to describe it) if he decided to stay the course since he was likely to be effectively out of options by this point.

Stand by your man! Tammy Wynette!

Julie Chen (uh, make that Julie Chen Moonves) signed off of Big Brother last night by using her husband's name:

On the surface it looks like Chen is defending Moonves but behind the scenes who knows. So far we don't have evidence released for now that she will go insane like Anthony Bourdain.
Remember Anthony Bourdain Stood by his woman and gone crazy before his death. This was before this conspiracy theory came out that Anthony Bourdain was named as a hush money dude because his Widow got accused of rape.

Who know it might turn out later theres something crazier than that we cannot see yet.

I'm sorry, I thought perhaps Moonves was being defended with citations about
what a good job he had done.

I can only recall one other case where somebody was defended in a sexual harassment case
with this claim. I think his name was Clinton or something.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/susan-zirinsky-60-minutes-cbs-news-1202944448/

Update Susan Zirinsky is named as a candidate to replace Jeff Fager at 60 Minutes.

There could be an A+ job in the news business waiting for the CBS producer known to many, simply, as “Z.”

Susan Zirinsky, often referred to by the first letter of her last name. has been at CBS News since 1972, but it’s what she might do in 2018 and going forward that could be infinitely more interesting.

She has amassed an impressive list of accomplishments during her CBS tenure, but they have had nothing to do with the network’s venerable newsmagazine “60 Minutes.” Zirinksy currently oversees the long-running program “48 Hours,” but also has supervised award-winning documentaries and breaking news specials. She even served as the inspiration for Holly Hunter’s high-standards news producer in the 1987 film “Broadcast News.”

She knows what it takes to keep a mature brand modern. In 2015, she tested a limited-run podcast to accompany one of the hour-long crime stories that regularly air on “48 Hours. “Even though you have a core brand that is established, appreciated, you have to look for the ability to grow it, expand it, keep it relevant,” she told Variety at the time.

Some staffers at CBS News think she is a likely internal candidate to take the “60” job, which has been vacant since CBS ousted former executive producer Jeff Fager last week, citing a violation of company policy. Fager acknowledged he sent a “harsh” text to a CBS News reporter who was examining claims made by The New Yorker about Fager tolerating a boys’ club atmosphere at CBS News and touching certain female staffers inappropriately. Fager has denied the allegations.

Having Zirinsky at the top of CBS News’ most revered program could solve some issues for David Rhodes, president of the news division. If named to the role, she would be the first female producer to run the show – and only the third person in its 50-plus seasons to do so. Placing Zirinsky at “60 Minutes” could also help break down barriers between tony “60 Minutes” and the rest of the news division, which tend to have separate production processes.

During his time at CBS News, Rhodes has shaken up many of its best-known programs. Both “Face the Nation” and “CBS Evening News” have had new anchors arrive in recent months – Margaret Brennan and Jeff Glor – while John Dickerson took the seat inhabited by the ousted Charlie Rose earlier this year at “CBS This Morning.” Rhodes has also worked to integrate CBS’ news programs with digital processes, so that staffers and anchors are also contributing to CBSN, the company’s streaming-video hub. Having Zirinsky named to the job would continue his efforts by putting a CBS News producer, not a “60 Minutes” veteran, at the helm.

I had a feeling she wasn’t coming back. Will she do Big Brother next year or is she done with CBS. I believe she’s under contract for 2 more years.

I had a feeling she wasn’t coming back. Will she do Big Brother next year or is she done with CBS. I believe she’s under contract for 2 more years.
I predicted last week that she would leave for good, despite what was being said at the time. Because no matter how long she stayed gone, she would have had to address the allegations once she returned.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom