Power sounding, (just a tad) more rhythmic lately...

Thread: Power sounding, (just a tad) more rhythmic lately...

Power sounding, (just a tad) more rhythmic lately...

Anyone else notice this? In the last few months or so, Power 961 seems to have a, I would say 5 to 10 percent more rhythmic lean than this time last year. I notice it more in the arrangement of their playlist. While they def still have a pop heavy playlist, lately I've been hearing, say Cardi B's "I Like It" back to back with Drake's "Nice For What" and this is in the 11am hour on a weekday! Also Power has Tiesto's 'Jackie Chan' in heavy rotation while many stations across the US are barely playing it. Q100 still remains pretty dayparted when it comes to these songs until at least the afternoon drive. Personally, I LOVE how Power sounds right now. I think a true CHR SHOULD play every hit, no matter the time of day. So IMO, Power is (more aggressively) going after the 18-34 demos. Or this could just be that Top 40 music in general is evolving into a more rhythmic/urban sound. I say... Keep doing what you're doing Power. While I DON'T want them to go ALL rhythmic, the balance they have now is spot on!

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by deejaywestbrook; 07-26-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Also noticing the music speed has increased a hair. When they first came on air in 2012, the music was sped up a lot like other iHeart CHRs across the US. Now, itís sped up a hair above normal speed but not like it was in 2012. I cannot stand when music is sped up. Itís sounds abnormal and it turns me off.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioDoogie View Post
    Also noticing the music speed has increased a hair. When they first came on air in 2012, the music was sped up a lot like other iHeart CHRs across the US. Now, itís sped up a hair above normal speed but not like it was in 2012. I cannot stand when music is sped up. Itís sounds abnormal and it turns me off.

I couldn't agree more! What I don't get is why the pitch of the song has to be affected at all. It would sound 100% better if they just up'ed the tempo but left the pitch alone. So easy to do and with simple, free software. Lol

This reminds me of the segue of 95-5 the Beat from CHR to Rhythmic back in 2001. They blew up one of the best sounding CHRs. I pray we are not going down that same road again and that theyíre not doing the same thing with Power. Donít do it Power 96-1. Just say no!

This reminds me of the segue of 95-5 the Beat from CHR to Rhythmic back in 2001. They blew up one of the best sounding CHRs. I pray we are not going down that same road again and that theyíre not doing the same thing with Power. Donít do it Power 96-1. Just say no!

Honestly, i think it's in response to Q100 sounding a bit 'hotter' lately especially since Louis Diaz took over as PD. Also just noticed Q moved Drake's rap-heavy track, 'Nice For What' into power rotation clocking in at 111x per week....wow! Still a Power fanboy here tho. 😁

But yes... I second that. Power, PLEASE don't go ALL hip-hop on us. Lol
    Last edited by deejaywestbrook; 07-27-2018 at 06:44 PM.

How could Q100 make such a big mistake? That's a very well done chr so it's surprising that they would put the non hit "Nice for what" in power rotation when Drake has the song of the summer out now the confirmed smash hit "In my feelings" that is a no brainer for power rotation on any chr.
    As for Power, the music cycle has shifted again to rnb hip hop being the strongest genre once again. Any good chr should be able to adjust, really it is about playing the hits but pouncing on any tracks that can be added for variety that test, like A. Grande, Taylor Delicate, and the #1 Maroon 5 Girls... I think Atlanta has 2 good chrs, well as good as chr is done in this country for sure. I just wish that hot ac would take its own lane and play hits that will work for them, the 2 singles from George Ezra that have went to #1 in the UK come to mind.

This reminds me of the segue of 95-5 the Beat from CHR to Rhythmic back in 2001. They blew up one of the best sounding CHRs. I pray we are not going down that same road again and that they’re not doing the same thing with Power. Don’t do it Power 96-1. Just say no!
    Could this just be a tweak or could Power go full on rhythmic? (or could that tbd?) What is iHeart's track record of similar scenarios in other markets?

Quote Originally Posted by caller10 View Post
    Could this just be a tweak or could Power go full on rhythmic? (or could that tbd?) What is iHeart's track record of similar scenarios in other markets?
    Doubt this will happen...better not! Hip hop is not on the front burner like it was from like 2003-2009. Plus Power just jumped from a 3.5 to 4.1 in the overall ratings. So the mix they have now is definitely doing them well.

Quote Originally Posted by deejaywestbrook View Post
    Doubt this will happen...better not! Hip hop is not on the front burner like it was from like 2003-2009. Plus Power just jumped from a 3.5 to 4.1 in the overall ratings. So the mix they have now is definitely doing them well.
    I agree itís not on the front burner like it was so many years ago. However, the top 40 chart is leaning more rhythmic and hip hop lately. Similar to what happened in the early 90s and early 2000s. This is what made country enter its golden era in the early 90s and made alternative so popular in the early 90s. Also brought about Hot AC. The rhythmic turn in the top 40 chart could boost Star 94.1ís ratings.