• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cox TV Stations for Sale

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimo...roadcast-ceo-eyes-deal-for-foxs-regional.html

Update Sinclair is Rumored to be in talks to get the Cox Stations and this affects KIRO and WSB-TV

Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. is eyeing potential deals with its attempted takeover of Tribune Media Co. a thing of the past.

CEO Chris Ripley said Tuesday the pipeline for mergers and acquisitions "is quite full right now." In particular, Hunt Valley-based Sinclair could look at acquiring 14 TV stations currently owned by Cox Enterprises Inc. or 21st Century Fox Inc.'s portfolio of 22 regional sports networks.

Ripley called the regional sports networks an "interesting fit" because Sinclair's already has the infrastructure in place to improve production, administration and sales for the networks. Sinclair (NASDAQ: SBGI) is the largest TV broadcaster in the U.S. with 191 television stations in 89 markets.

The regional sports networks are up for sale because the Walt Disney Co.'s (NYSE: DIS) acquisition of Fox (NASDAQ: FOX). The U.S. Department Justice made the sale of the networks a condition for approval of the $71 billion deal. Guggenheim Securities valued the package at $22.4 billion, the Los Angeles Times reported.

""It’s a very interesting fit," Ripley said "It of course has to be at the right value. It has to be accretive."

This is at the same time that Fox and Disney are selling Fox Sports regional like Fox Sports West and Sinclair is named as a party to get Fox Sports West.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimo...roadcast-ceo-eyes-deal-for-foxs-regional.html

Update Sinclair is Rumored to be in talks to get the Cox Stations and this affects KIRO and WSB-TV

This is at the same time that Fox and Disney are selling Fox Sports regional like Fox Sports West and Sinclair is named as a party to get Fox Sports West.

Governor Cox and his daughter Mrs. Anthony will roll over in their graves if Sinclair ends up with WSB-TV. I'd keep the Atlanta stations and newspaper. That's where the family spending money was made. No way the TV and radio stations aren't making a huge profit and I would think the AJC at least breaks even and probably makes a profit, too. I appreciate that legacy goes so far but when you have a legacy which makes $$$ and is such an integral part of the community welfare, keep it. If it weren't for the AJC, a lot of issues in the state of Georgia would never see the light of day. Sell the rest and at least you won't have to see how they are trashed by the new owners.

Governor Cox and his daughter Mrs. Anthony will roll over in their graves if Sinclair ends up with WSB-TV. I'd keep the Atlanta stations and newspaper. That's where the family spending money was made. No way the TV and radio stations aren't making a huge profit and I would think the AJC at least breaks even and probably makes a profit, too. I appreciate that legacy goes so far but when you have a legacy which makes $$$ and is such an integral part of the community welfare, keep it. If it weren't for the AJC, a lot of issues in the state of Georgia would never see the light of day. Sell the rest and at least you won't have to see how they are trashed by the new owners.

WSB-TV is a great station, and Sinclair ownership would be the end of that.

I heard a rumor that Disney/ABC wants to buy WSB-TV, WFTV and WSOC-TV. But, rumors are rumors.

WSB-TV is a great station, and Sinclair ownership would be the end of that.

I heard a rumor that Disney/ABC wants to buy WSB-TV, WFTV and WSOC-TV. But, rumors are rumors.

Isn’t Sinclair an extremely conservative based media operation? More so than Fox News. I am curious as to how that would affect WSB-TV’s programming.

Isn’t Sinclair an extremely conservative based media operation? More so than Fox News. I am curious as to how that would affect WSB-TV’s programming.

Sinclair has made national news several times concerning their required company wide inserts into local news. That content is usually ultra-conservative.

Sinclair has made national news several times concerning their required company wide inserts into local news. That content is usually ultra-conservative.

Sinclair hired Boris Epshteyn from the Trump campaign to do editorials on the air. When they purchased WJLA-TV in Washington, DC, they got rid of the station's high-priced news talent.

Sinclair hired Boris Epshteyn from the Trump campaign to do editorials on the air. When they purchased WJLA-TV in Washington, DC, they got rid of the station's high-priced news talent.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-news-wins-big-sinclair-tribune-deal-cancellation-1133589

At the same time Sinclair was making lots of rumors that they were going to grab pro-Trump Viewers and Pundits away from Fox News with a rumored network that was discussed during the Sinclair/Tribune Talks where KTLA Los Angeles was one of the targeted stations Sinclair was after at the time.

Now I don't have proof at this time that Sinclair is going to bring up this Proposed Pro-Trump Network again now that the rumored Cox TV Station Talks (WSB, KIRO, WFXT, WHBQ and WFTV) are at play and the rumored take over of Fox Sports West in Los Angeles are at play here.

so while 95% of the broadcast news media on the mainstream channels is left wing , that means anybody that promotes anything right wing is just bad?

so while 95% of the broadcast news media on the mainstream channels is left wing , that means anybody that promotes anything right wing is just bad?

I think what I'd say to that is the goal of journalism should be to be correct, not to promote either ideology. The closer you get to that, the better. And it's usually not good when ownership gets involved in news decisions.

Are you including Fox News and the Fox O & O's in that 95%? Why would President Trump ever agree to be on 60 Minutes if it was "fake" or left wing biased? Their is a lot of the news I don't agree with but if they follow "good journalism" practices like double check the sources it is what it is.

Are you including Fox News and the Fox O & O's in that 95%? Why would President Trump ever agree to be on 60 Minutes if it was "fake" or left wing biased? Their is a lot of the news I don't agree with but if they follow "good journalism" practices like double check the sources it is what it is.

I don't think Channel 5 (a Fox O&O) is biased. At the end of the day they're selling eyeballs, which requires an attractive product.

I don't think Channel 5 (a Fox O&O) is biased. At the end of the day they're selling eyeballs, which requires an attractive product.

I think you're right...the difference between Fox and Sinclair is Fox keeps politics on its cable channel, and leaves the stations alone.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/global-warming-has-contributed-to-wildfire-intensity-stanford-expert-says

http://www.ktvu.com/news/politics/e...s-about-california-wasting-water-during-fires

https://www.foxla.com/news/356273710-video

And Yes you are correct that Fox confines the politics over on the national cable channel. See here are a few examples where Fox did not side with President Trump and the Coal Industry Superpac/Lobbyist over climate change. But These segments were produced for the Fox O&O's in California (KTTV, KTVU and KTVU+) where its staff and news directors did reports showing the connection between climate change and the increased size of Wildfires in California.

Also Fox O&O division did these segments for the demos of these markets as mentioned in another thread.

https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?712503-Local-news-political-slant

But the talks about WSB-TV going to Sinclair is yet to be seen and confirmed here given how Chris Ripley PR people tried to spin it as a possible deal

I think you're right...the difference between Fox and Sinclair is Fox keeps politics on its cable channel, and leaves the stations alone.

The reason Fox News Channel became a voice for conservatives was the hiring of Roger Ailes to create the network's format. Rupert Murdoch is known to be somewhat liberal but of course was in business to make money so was open to whatever programming would accomplish that. Like the ideology or not, creating Fox News was an amazingly successful idea by Ailes. Its ratings and revenue have been through the roof almost since the start.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom