Cox TV Stations for Sale - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cox TV Stations for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    I think a lot of smaller to medium-sized group owners are tired of the 'reverse comp' drumbeat that's been coming from several of the networks. Now that one of the major networks is owned by a cable company, I suspect the drums are getting louder.
    Miami and Jacksonville are two markets where the networks played nasty with the local affiliates and they both told them where to go and went independent. This was back before there more than four networks..ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS. I am not as familiar with Miami as I am Jacksonville but both have been huge successes in every aspect and they did with local news coverage and neither had a legacy newspaper or radio station like Cox has with WSB Radio and the AJC. WSB -TV could go independent and would do super well.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan View Post
    Miami and Jacksonville are two markets where the networks played nasty with the local affiliates and they both told them where to go and went independent. This was back before there more than four networks..ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS. I am not as familiar with Miami as I am Jacksonville but both have been huge successes in every aspect and they did with local news coverage and neither had a legacy newspaper or radio station like Cox has with WSB Radio and the AJC. WSB -TV could go independent and would do super well.
    I highly doubt ABC would ever take the chance of losing WSB. That's one station that will not have to worry about a network playing hardball.

I wonder if CBS would buy or LMA channel 2? It would give CBS a really strong local news affiliate in a growing market. They own a lot virtual of Channel “2’s” already. “CBS channel 2” graphics would be easy. It would give CBS two (2 and 69) “market covering” stations in a growing big market.

If they could get Disney (ABC) and CBS in a bidding war Cox could do OK financially. I think if CBS shows interest then ABC would pony up some funds to “save” the affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by secondchoice View Post
    I wonder if CBS would buy or LMA channel 2? It would give CBS a really strong local news affiliate in a growing market. They own a lot virtual of Channel “2’s” already. “CBS channel 2” graphics would be easy. It would give CBS two (2 and 69) “market covering” stations in a growing big market.

If they could get Disney (ABC) and CBS in a bidding war Cox could do OK financially. I think if CBS shows interest then ABC would pony up some funds to “save” the affiliation.

I'm surprised Atlanta doesn't have more O&O TV stations. CBS owned stations don't do all that well in several markets. However look at ABC owned stations in New York, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. The Eyewitness News brand kills other stations in the ratings. Heck, even better...If Disney owned Channel 2, they can keep the "Action News" brand/format just as Disney owned WPVI/Philadelphia, which is the highest rated station there. Either way, WSB-TV as a Disney/ABC owned station would be VERY successful, IMO. Furthermore, no more network preemptions. Wow...It's the gift that keeps on giving! Lol
    Last edited by deejaywestbrook; 08-06-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by secondchoice View Post
    I highly doubt CBS would want the station because the graphics would be easy.

I just threw the graphics in there. But two market covering stations for CBS could be profitable if they don't pay too much for Channel 2.

Not sure how much it matters in the DTV and virtual channel era, and both Channel 2 and Channel 46 have good DTV-friendly UHF signals (side-eye to Channels 8 and 11 which are still on VHF), but once upon a time in the analog days CBS would have loved to pick up Channel 2 as an affiliate to replace losing Channel 5 to Fox and not be relegated to a UHF station.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Good question. Take a look:

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/ajc.com

Remember what their CEO says: "Scale is critical to be successful." Think AT&T. Think Disney. That's scale.
    Yes, but once you are an AT&T or Disney, how do you KEEP growing? All those quarterly reports and shareholders will demand huge percent growth every year, year after year. When you are already enormous, how do you sustain any sort of growth? The numbers run out of room real fast at that scale.

Cox might get gobbled up, sure, but then what?
    Escaped from radio. Took it apart from the inside and climbed out My posts are mine opinion alone and do not represent any aspect of any business matter or opinion related to my employers, past or present.

Quote Originally Posted by nightmanager View Post
    Yes, but once you are an AT&T or Disney, how do you KEEP growing?
    I think they both just answered this. AT&T bought Time Warner, and got into another business. That's part of what you can do when you have limitless wealth.

The problem with Cox is they are still basically operating in the 20th century. A few years ago, someone there launched the Rare.com music sites, and it appeared that they would become a multi-platform media company. But alas that was just a 3 year experiment, and the site was shut down in April. It never really integrated the many assets available within the company, and it failed to achieve its potential.

The thing Disney has that more companies need is a President of Synergy. That is a top-lever executive whose job it is to find ways for the many assets a company owns to work together. Disney is one of the few companies I know of that has one. If Cox had such a person, the Rare site might have succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I think they both just answered this. AT&T bought Time Warner, and got into another business. That's part of what you can do when you have limitless wealth.

The problem with Cox is they are still basically operating in the 20th century. A few years ago, someone there launched the Rare.com music sites, and it appeared that they would become a multi-platform media company. But alas that was just a 3 year experiment, and the site was shut down in April. It never really integrated the many assets available within the company, and it failed to achieve its potential.

The thing Disney has that more companies need is a President of Synergy. That is a top-lever executive whose job it is to find ways for the many assets a company owns to work together. Disney is one of the few companies I know of that has one. If Cox had such a person, the Rare site might have succeeded.
    One of my biggest personal challenges is trying to fathom all of the changes in technology that keep coming at near speed of light. It takes a genius to fully understand it and decide which new technologies people will embrace and which will fail to succeed.

The President of Synergy Big A refers to must be one of those special people who can wrap their minds around this abstract world; I believe there are very few who can! Future success in business will absolutely require a new kind of CEO and management who are technological visionaries and fully grasp the strategies needed to succeed in our evolving world of technology.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234