if radio 1045 is losing money like everyone thinks... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: if radio 1045 is losing money like everyone thinks...

Quote Originally Posted by DOB View Post
    Isn't a soft ac that nudges right between WBEB and WOGL "positioning a station somewhere in the same areas that those stations reach, hoping to build a cume base and take some shares off of the leaders while establishing a different format"?
    Would be if soft AC didn't carry so much 55+ baggage and lack of appeal to a generation of AC listeners who have been, basically, hardwired for nothing but uptempo and rhythmic for nearly two decades.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Isn't a soft ac that nudges right between WBEB and WOGL "positioning a station somewhere in the same areas that those stations reach, hoping to build a cume base and take some shares off of the leaders while establishing a different format"?
    Keep in mind that the average listener in PPM markets hears 6 stations each week, increasing to around 8 to 9 in a two week period. Not all stations "take listeners" from other stations... generally they share them. Listening time varies, with people going through cycles of more and less listening to individual stations.

In finding a niche, it's also important to find one that will sell better than the one you have. WRFF is an example of a big audience niche with a smaller sales niche.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I just think of WFEZ in Miami, a station that found a winning formula of being slightly lighter and more gold based than WLYF. Now in Philly I don't think you can get away with all those 80s ballads that work so well in South Florida, but WBEB is playing less and less 80s and 90s music so you can define a station that is slightly lighter than WBEB and older too. WBEB is fairly hot for an adult contemporary station. It works for sure, but that "lighter" option could be very viable for Iheart, in addition to being a nice p2 to WOGL's p1s.
    Miami is a poor example. WFEZ started with a much softer and older approach, and quickly realized that Miami is not Tampa; the market is not "full of retirees" and over half of the population in Hispanic.

They adjusted the music for this reality, and targeted Hispanics in their research because the MSA is less than 25% non-Hispanic white. 58% of the station's audience is Hispanic, and 82% of the Hispanic audience is Spanish dominant.

These facts make the market and the format unique.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Nice, a say Po-tay-toe you say po-tot-o lol, but I certainly appreciate the added info you provided. WFEZ has been around for a little bit, I use them as an example because I was recently down there and liked the way they countered WLYF. We all know that if all makrets were all the same then each format would be syndicated from one home base to every market. What is of note is the strategy, the customizing to your unique market and competition goes without saying but is truly where the skill applies. Sunny failed just like WFEZ did at first because they didn't not put on a station that was rightly customized for the market....right idea...wrong execution. I mentioned that there is a great deal of 80s ballads on WFEZ that while perfect for South Florida, I don't think would work for Philadelphia. Thanks for the why it works down there...I'd just add that while the audience may be 82% Spanish dominant, that really is a language preference for a lot of people. and doesn't so easily sync up with music choice as the stigmatization goes.

I'd just add that while the audience may be 82% Spanish dominant, that really is a language preference for a lot of people. and doesn't so easily sync up with music choice as the stigmatization goes.
    Throughout Latin America and Spain, CHR, rock and AC stations often play more than 50% English language music. This is nothing new, although the percentages are near a peak today.

When I first programmed a CHR in 1964 in Ecuador, at least a third of all songs were in English so this is not a new phenomenon. Many immigrants, particularly in Miami where many come from backgrounds of middle and upper income levels in Cuba, Nicaragua and Colombia, grew up on a mix of US and British music, so that's what works in Miami. The caveat is that not every Top 10 song in the US got play in Latin America, so there are many songs that might not be playable as they were not hits and are unfamiliar.

As you say, looking at the local market.

Miami is a very fun market for a radio geek on vacation. I love the Miami customized chr on WPOW and the AC and Classic Hits stations playing some songs you just don't hear anywhere else. WOGL was really cool 15 years ago with all the Philly soul songs, it was unique. Now that those songs are out of demo that uniqueness is gone.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234