• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOKQ got a $540,000 fine in 2016?

I was just made aware of this story, although it is from 2016, I didn't hear anything about it then.

Northern Pass ads result in $540,000 penalty for radio station

http://www.unionleader.com/Northern-Pass-ads-result-in-540k-penalty-for-radio-station

The FCC says its settlement with Cumulus Media, former owner of Dover-based WOKQ, 97.5 FM, is the largest ever involving a single station for violating sponsor identification laws.[/i

Wow! This station is here in New England, I am surprised it went under the radar for me.

Anyone know who was responsible? Did heads fly? DId they negotiate it down? Did anyone in the station knowingly do this...or was it incompetence?

I was just made aware of this story, although it is from 2016, I didn't hear anything about it then.

was it incompetence?

I've seen this before, someone at the station was an idiot

it happens all the time, I have sent emails to stations more times than I can remember after hearing a spot where I could not identify the sponsor.

In this case, someone with an axe to grind went to the FCC.

Since WOKQ is now owned by Townsquare Media....I suspect they probably want this "dirty little ditty" to "pass (pun INTENDED....!) away" quickly.......:rolleyes:
This story was/is something I had never heard before now.....

Since WOKQ is now owned by Townsquare Media....I suspect they probably want this "dirty little ditty" to "pass (pun INTENDED....!) away" quickly.......:rolleyes:
This story was/is something I had never heard before now.....

The N.A.L. was against ( and paid for by) the previous owners.

it has no bearing against future renewals or transfers, and outside of radio geeks, nobody knows or cares.

§ 73.1212 Sponsorship identification; list retention; related requirements.

(a) When a broadcast station transmits any matter for which money, service, or other valuable consideration is either directly or indirectly paid or promised to, or charged or accepted by such station, the station, at the time of the broadcast, shall announce:

(1) That such matter is sponsored, paid for, or furnished, either in whole or in part, and

(2) By whom or on whose behalf such consideration was supplied: Provided, however, That “service or other valuable consideration” shall not include any service or property furnished either without or at a nominal charge for use on, or in connection with, a broadcast unless it is so furnished in consideration for an identification of any person, product, service, trademark, or brand name beyond an identification reasonably related to the use of such service or property on the broadcast.

(i) For the purposes of this section, the term “sponsored” shall be deemed to have the same meaning as “paid for.”

(ii) In the case of any television political advertisement concerning candidates for public office, the sponsor shall be identified with letters equal to or greater than four percent of the vertical picture height that air for not less than four seconds.

(b) The licensee of each broadcast station shall exercise reasonable diligence to obtain from its employees, and from other persons with whom it deals directly in connection with any matter for broadcast, information to enable such licensee to make the announcement required by this section.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom