How far do Philly signals travel?

Thread: How far do Philly signals travel?

How far do Philly signals travel?

Aside from getting KYW here on Cape Cod at night battling it out with WQOM 1060 and WTEL 610 at night how far do the Philly stations travel? I am only in Philly twice a year: in December and January when I take Greyhound from Boston to Saint Louis and vice versa. I know we pass right by the massive tower farm in Roxborough on the Schuylkill.

I cannot speak for the north of Philly, but KYW is an easy catch on a decent radio in the daytime until past Baltimore, and easily reaches my family’s home in Central VA at night.

So, using the logic that Baldamo’ and Philly are 90 miles apart, and the signal goes past there 24/7, I’d say 100 miles at least. That should mean KYW should start coming in around the NY/CT border on a good radio most of the time.
    As we used to say down in ol' Mexico City...A.M.F.!

Quote Originally Posted by seattlesarchiebunker View Post
    I cannot speak for the north of Philly, but KYW is an easy catch on a decent radio in the daytime until past Baltimore, and easily reaches my family’s home in Central VA at night.

So, using the logic that Baldamo’ and Philly are 90 miles apart, and the signal goes past there 24/7, I’d say 100 miles at least. That should mean KYW should start coming in around the NY/CT border on a good radio most of the time.
    If it were a nondirectional signal, sure.

But it's not. It's directional in order to protect another 50,000-watt directional signal one channel down, WEPN 1050 New York, and so it has deep nulls that give it trouble as close in as Bucks County, never mind central NJ and up toward NYC and CT.
    All kinds of good stuff over at http://www.fybush.com

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    @ Scott:

I don't remember the year, but I recall being told that KYW was heard in Hawaii. Maybe more than once.

If you look at the largely 2-dimensional coverage maps of Radio-Locator (or most other sources) at KYW's nighttime pattern of the 'northwest' lobe, well that's one thing.
    Then you look at a world globe and go 'Hmmmmm,' because of the tilt of the earth. Unless I have my math backwards, a thumbnail guess would place the Hawaii reception around 9 PM at the earliest, and maybe 1 AM at the latest. KYW has the same pattern day and night, of course.

Which is why the answer to the question "How far do Philly signals travel?" It depends on the station, the conditions, and the radio.

Radio: an old Grundig YB400PE
    Wx: Noneventful, i.e clear December night.
    Route: I-76 westbound w/ stop in Harrisburg.

That's the scenario. My Grundig still works like a charm, having received it in 2004. So far every year I've caught a break in the weather and have had pretty tranquil conditions, save for 2015, when there was rain on the Boston end.